Need Help in Road Accident Insurance Case

Gkscarmart

Hi, All. Need some advice and help on the matter.

In August, I rented a car from Car Club (used to NTUC Car Coop). In the morning about 830am, as I was traveling along Chuo Chu Kang Road. I was

on the right side of the lane. At the location opposite Phoenix LRT station, just approaching the overhead bridge, I signaled to filter to the left. As I was about to turn,

suddenly I saw the motorbike zoomed by and at the same time there is vehicle in front blocking as they were queuing to turn right at the T junction in front (with traffic light), hence I slowed down. Suddenly, I felt an impact and then i realized I was rear ended by a Lime Green Kia Coupe.

At this point, my vehicle already partially entered into left lane, wanting to filter in completely after the motorbike passed. Therefore, after being hit, in order to avoid further danger from the incoming left lane traffic, I turned abit back to right lane. So that the left lane traffic still got place to passed by. We went through the procedure of taking down particulars, photos. The other party wanted to settle privately as he just got into another accident just 1 or 2 weeks ago. But I told him it is not up to me as this is Car Club vehicle. I told him I wd get the person in charge to discuss with him.

The Person in charge did not wish to settle privately as he said once got rear ended, they will not want to settle privately, if the reverse happens, he will then ask to settle privately.

Anyway, just got a call and email from car club, saying the other party's insurance claimed that it's my fault. His story goes like this.

"He was traveling on the right lane. Seeing in front has clear traffic and smooth open lane, he drove at about 60 km/hr. When he was about to turn to the outermost right lane in order to turn right at the T junction. I suddenly signaled and filter into his lane, causing him no time to stop his vehicle in time even though he e brake. That caused him to rear end my vehicle." So, it became my fault that I filtered suddenly.

Now, the Car Club saying i have 2 option. 1 is to pay up $2000 and settle, close case. 2 is to fight the case, with some additional charges borne by me, at the same time, I still have to pay $2000 to them. Only if after I win the case, then only they will refund me.

Sorry for such a long story. This is my first time kena and worse, it is due to fault of others. So, any advice and help will be greatly welcomed. At the same time, can I don't pay the $2000? that's quite stupid considering they have to lock up my money till don't know when.

↡ Advertisement

Unless the point of impact is so much on one side as to make the Coup's story credible, front car usually claim back car. Photos, crumple pattern all will be considered, not just the Coup's story.

Whether Car Club can ask you for $2000 depends on your contract with them.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, All. Need some advice and help on the matter.

In August, I rented a car from Car Club (used to NTUC Car Coop). In the morning about 830am, as I was traveling along Chuo Chu Kang Road. I was

on the right side of the lane. At the location opposite Phoenix LRT station, just approaching the overhead bridge, I signaled to filter to the left. As I was about to turn,

suddenly I saw the motorbike zoomed by and at the same time there is vehicle in front blocking as they were queuing to turn right at the T junction in front (with traffic light), hence I slowed down. Suddenly, I felt an impact and then i realized I was rear ended by a Lime Green Kia Coupe.

At this point, my vehicle already partially entered into left lane, wanting to filter in completely after the motorbike passed. Therefore, after being hit, in order to avoid further danger from the incoming left lane traffic, I turned abit back to right lane. So that the left lane traffic still got place to passed by. We went through the procedure of taking down particulars, photos. The other party wanted to settle privately as he just got into another accident just 1 or 2 weeks ago. But I told him it is not up to me as this is Car Club vehicle. I told him I wd get the person in charge to discuss with him.

The Person in charge did not wish to settle privately as he said once got rear ended, they will not want to settle privately, if the reverse happens, he will then ask to settle privately.

Anyway, just got a call and email from car club, saying the other party's insurance claimed that it's my fault. His story goes like this.

"He was traveling on the right lane. Seeing in front has clear traffic and smooth open lane, he drove at about 60 km/hr. When he was about to turn to the outermost right lane in order to turn right at the T junction. I suddenly signaled and filter into his lane, causing him no time to stop his vehicle in time even though he e brake. That caused him to rear end my vehicle." So, it became my fault that I filtered suddenly.

Now, the Car Club saying i have 2 option. 1 is to pay up $2000 and settle, close case. 2 is to fight the case, with some additional charges borne by me, at the same time, I still have to pay $2000 to them. Only if after I win the case, then only they will refund me.

Sorry for such a long story. This is my first time kena and worse, it is due to fault of others. So, any advice and help will be greatly welcomed. At the same time, can I don't pay the $2000? that's quite stupid considering they have to lock up my money till don't know when.

If its exact rear ended, no need to fight u sure win..

If side or corner rear, then v mafan..

Yup, It is side. caused a dent in the car right rear sensor position. I got no experience, I thought kena rear ended, sure no need to fight. so never voice record down that he offered to settle privately and he even got into another accident in a week or 2 before. My mistake. Hopefully others can learn from it.

Neutral Newbie

Yup, It is side. caused a dent in the car right rear sensor position. I got no experience, I thought kena rear ended, sure no need to fight. so never voice record down that he offered to settle privately and he even got into another accident in a week or 2 before. My mistake. Hopefully others can learn from it.

Pointless to fight, in the end lawyers win.. Call the other party ask him why he not steady, hit you still claim from you.. Anyway, pay $200 at most to rental company and say you no $$..

I don't have any video nor witness, i guess he didn't have both either. Even if he has, I will beg him SERIOUSLY, hug him with tears to show his video. Because I can swear with my name that I was in front of him, because I usually don't like to travel on the left lane along that road, got bus exiting from bus stop, in front may have car exiting from Phoenix road, plus most of the lorry and pick up will travel along on the left, therefore I always travel on the right side.

$2k is rather high unless the damage is very extensive. Think you go read the T&C of the car club again. You didnt buy insurance from them?

Ya, I know. Just like in boxing, both players got hurt regardless who win, but the managers are the one counting money.

But what can I do? Car Club if I don't fight, I have to pay $2k. Later become another case that they claim from me for delaying payment?

The bumper side clip cracked, got a dent, boot can't close properly, the right tail light is out of position but totally fine. I still drove for the whole day after that before returning the vehicle. All the members are covered under their insurance, no need individual insurance. As for the detail, i will have to go and read up the fine print already. Really troublesome. All drivers, please drive safely for your loved ones including yourself. That's really unnecessary troubles and effort. After that, I still told him from then on, learn the lesson, don't drive too fast and also don't tail gate.

The bumper side clip cracked, got a dent, boot can't close properly, the right tail light is out of position but totally fine. I still drove for the whole day after that before returning the vehicle. All the members are covered under their insurance, no need individual insurance. As for the detail, i will have to go and read up the fine print already. Really troublesome. All drivers, please drive safely for your loved ones including yourself. That's really unnecessary troubles and effort. After that, I still told him from then on, learn the lesson, don't drive too fast and also don't tail gate.

how come your car club so lousy one? when i rent car, all opt for zero excess even if your fault. this case clearly is coup fault since he rear end u, EVEN if he claims that u suddenly filter left, he should ALWAYS keep safe distance from front vehicle tio boh? [rolleyes]

Under Member's Hand Book, Section "How to Report an Accident"

Part of it mentioned, Quote" As this is a co-op car, do not make personal settlements even if the car damages are minor and there are no injuries. Car Co-op will handle the insurance claims and repairs. Member is liable for the first $1000 deductible per damage claim. Subsequent liability is increased to $1500."

Maybe have more rules or whatever somewhere else, this is what i get for now. And thank you all for the reply.

I don't have any video nor witness, i guess he didn't have both either. Even if he has, I will beg him SERIOUSLY, hug him with tears to show his video. Because I can swear with my name that I was in front of him, because I usually don't like to travel on the left lane along that road, got bus exiting from bus stop, in front may have car exiting from Phoenix road, plus most of the lorry and pick up will travel along on the left, therefore I always travel on the right side.

Since he rear ended you, whatever stuffs he said, he is still in the wrong. And also since his story is so drastic, ask him to provide video evidence to back his claims. If he don't have any evidence, the insurance co got all the rights to reject his claims.

Even if there is a $2K excess stated by your car club, the damage have to be more than $2K for them to demand it from you, unless they will just demand how much the repair cost is. Or they probably change everything and respray whole car.

Extracted from the email I received from Car Club:

As spoken, please find attached the report by the other party on the accident. He is claiming that he hit into the car SXXXXXX as he is unable to brake in time when the car SXXXXX changed lane suddenly.

Please do advise if the workshop currently handling your case should pursue further on this. If yes, please note that you might be require to attend court to testify. There will be additional fees involved which you will have to pay. However, you might want to seek the workshop's lawyer advise if this can be recovered should you win this case. I will link you up with the workshop/lawyer if you wish to proceed.

Please note that the excess of $2,000 will be billed in your next invoice. The excess will be reviewed if the case is in your favor.

If you do not wish to pursue this, the $2,000 excess is all you have to pay. We will get the workshop to close the case.

my opinion is to pay the excess and pursue. review your photos.

the hitting pattern of your bumper will be different for changing lane in and rear you vs change lane out and rear you.

furthermore, mention that he told you he got accident few weeks before and even attempt to private settlement.

why handbook say excess is $1k but you have to pay 2k.

1) Workshop will go thru the most costly and convenient way to maximise profits and minimise coolie kang - change parts and respray.

2) Lawyers working with the workshops all got ready templates to send letters, who's right or wrong they can't be bothered. They just interested whoever puts $$$ into their pockets.

3) Doctors same like lawyers, can't be bothered who's driving right or wrong. Just tell me where pain there pain, just bill to insurance can liao.

4) Insurance companies although the most unwilling to part money, also can't be bothered to be drawn into costly lengthy battles with the lawyers. So they simply raise premiums for ALL.

5) Drivers are all fuct. [knife]

↡ Advertisement