Impreza 1.5R 5D Q&A

Se17g

Bros & Sis,

I just newly got my used subaru impreza 1.5R 5D. Suddenly, i drove and saw the amber logo light up....above the oil indicator reading....so i went to my mechanic n do the troubleshoot diagnosis...then he asked me what petrol i pump....i say v-power 97 malaysia petrol. He said that the oil octane not suitable for my car...that why will....is it true? Or something else? As he use the device n step hard on my accelerator...vroommmm...and the indicator is gone n back to normal....how huh?

And if any subaru driver who drove n pump petrol occur the same prob?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Bros & Sis,

I just newly got my used subaru impreza 1.5R 5D. Suddenly, i drove and saw the amber logo light up....above the oil indicator reading....so i went to my mechanic n do the troubleshoot diagnosis...then he asked me what petrol i pump....i say v-power 97 malaysia petrol. He said that the oil octane not suitable for my car...that why will....is it true? Or something else? As he use the device n step hard on my accelerator...vroommmm...and the indicator is gone n back to normal....how huh?

And if any subaru driver who drove n pump petrol occur the same prob?

What problem? Check Engine Light? What's the error code?

• Praise 1

my fren had the same ride but no problem with jb petrol. he tried 95 and no problem too. his car is stock.

Mine is stock too....but out pf sudden like that....somemore i pump v-power 97 lor....I ask other mechanic...they say ask me pump v-power....

It diagnose out is cataylst problem...threshold not enough

It's a common problem. My girlfriend's Impreza 1.5R also has this problem. BKS mentioned that this is due to the cat degrading and therefore affecting the reading at the O2 sensor.

There are 2 solutions:

1. Decat the exhaust - $200, done at BKS, maybe you can do it for cheaper elsewhere

2. Replace the cat - $3K+ to do it at MI

The decat is fairly straightforward, no welding involved, they just need to remove the top cover which is secured by bolts, remove the cat and then bolt back. No welding marks. My gf's car recently went for inspection without the cat and passed.

used subaru. u got ask the mech to check whether the CAT still there or not? or maybe it has been FULLY DECATTED?

Hahahaa..

You're wrong liao bro. The cat is causing the problem. I've had no more CEL problems since I decatted.

Turbocharged

Suspect your previous owner did something and dekitted. Maybe got traces of the mod left that conflict with stock setup?

Not sure about Imprezas but could the ECU have been remapped?

As mentioned, do visit BMS since they are like the "2nd opinion" on subarus besides MI.

http://de-de.facebook.com/group.php?gid=283080571544

Edited by Pocus
  • Praise 1

You're wrong liao bro. The cat is causing the problem. I've had no more CEL problems since I decatted.

Mine's no cat then got problem. Got cat no problem.

Meowwwwwwwwww....... :wacko:

Suspect your previous owner did something and dekitted. Maybe got traces of the mod left that conflict with stock setup?

Not sure about Imprezas but could the ECU have been remapped?

As mentioned, do visit BMS since they are like the "2nd opinion" on subarus besides MI.

http://de-de.facebook.com/group.php?gid=283080571544

Likely not. My gf's car is complete stock and the CEL light came on by itself. She only changed rims and upgraded to BBK from the old WRX. Consultation with BKS reveals that it is a common problem in 1.5R hatches. Solution is either to decat or change the cat. $200 vs $3k+, the answer was obvious to us.

my bro's car got some problem similar to urs

1) Engine Check lights on

2) FC indicator jumping, from 1.0 to 29.0 , funculating feriously.....

sent back to MI to check

they remove exos, do a clean up of the throttle body, reset ECU...

the car now back to normal.

• Praise 1

my bro's car got some problem similar to urs

1) Engine Check lights on

2) FC indicator jumping, from 1.0 to 29.0 , funculating feriously.....

sent back to MI to check

they remove exos, do a clean up of the throttle body, reset ECU...

the car now back to normal.

Check Engine Light can mean anything.. The specific error code is needed to know if the problem is similar.

Edited by Beehive3783

(edited)

Hmm....looks like i need to go BMS and consult the doctor for my "Patient"...........

I think maybe the previous owner dekitted his exhaust and remapped wrongly done....cause i find the gear 1 and 2 changing also wierd......

My gear 1 hit 2500rpm and changed to gear 2....which gear 2 have to hit 3000 or 3500rpm to hit gear 3.......kinda fed up with it.......

1 more question....If i decat, will it affect the changing of exhaust??? Sorry.....I am a noob to Subaru....

Edited by Se17g

Hmm....looks like i need to go BMS and consult the doctor for my "Patient"...........

I think maybe the previous owner dekitted his exhaust and remapped wrongly done....cause i find the gear 1 and 2 changing also wierd......

My gear 1 hit 2500rpm and changed to gear 2....which gear 2 have to hit 3000 or 3500rpm to hit gear 3.......kinda fed up with it.......

1 more question....If i decat, will it affect the changing of exhaust??? Sorry.....I am a noob to Subaru....

Your car is auto??