Aviva policyholder take note..

Kb27

Supersonic

Posting for someone else...

i am writing this on my true and personal account. I purchased an insurance with AVIVA last December. i did an online transaction. One of the questions asked was: Has your vehicle been modified from the manfacturer's standard specifications ? . I answered NO coz as far as i am concerned modification refers to engine enhancement.

Thus in May when a JB car kiss my rear, i made a 3rd party claim and Aviva came down to take pictures of my vehicle damage as their SOP. Few days later they said, they wanted to take a second round of pics prior to the accident. They did and instead of taking the pices of the damage, they took photos of my engine bay, tyres, interior.

i received a letter from them dated 5 May 2011, that my insurance has been void and will be refunded fully due to the following modification made.

1. Sports Rim

2. Strut Bar

3. Brake Vacuum Tube ( Monster Brake Capsule )

4.Voltage Stabilizer

5. Exhaust Tail Pipe ( which in fact was just the muffler TIP )

w8kmj6.jpg

↡ Advertisement

First time I heard installing the listed items are illegal for insurance <_<

nb and I on Aviva insurance now, I have most of the items also

Turbocharged

What a load of bullsh*t.. from the list, probably the only item that can affect the safety of the car in anyway is the Vacuum Tube and to a lesser extent, volt stabiliser and strut bar..

As long as not factory fitted is not complaince to the insurance coverage. When in doubt he sld clearify with the agent or company.

I must say it is quite suay this happen. Aviva fully refund the policy money that is something I have seen for the first time.

(edited)

wat e ****! Sports rim? Think will have to avoid Aviva for such unreasonable req'ts! They should allow claim if car is LTA compliance! Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Mirage

Posting for someone else...

i am writing this on my true and personal account. I purchased an insurance with AVIVA last December. i did an online transaction. One of the questions asked was: Has your vehicle been modified from the manfacturer's standard specifications ? . I answered NO coz as far as i am concerned modification refers to engine enhancement.

Thus in May when a JB car kiss my rear, i made a 3rd party claim and Aviva came down to take pictures of my vehicle damage as their SOP. Few days later they said, they wanted to take a second round of pics prior to the accident. They did and instead of taking the pices of the damage, they took photos of my engine bay, tyres, interior.

i received a letter from them dated 5 May 2011, that my insurance has been void and will be refunded fully due to the following modification made.

1. Sports Rim

2. Strut Bar

4.Voltage Stabilizer

I better go check my policy carefully 1 more time.

I not sure if I declare my sports rims or not?

Long ago u hv to declare to Ins Co if u hv sports rims n radio/cassette cos these wil affect claims if ty r stolen or damaged but nowadays mostly all cars have so long time never need to declare.

Well I did get my policy at a very good discount from my other insurer so I think I sud just make sure all is in order.

Other than sports rims n radio/CD player, my car is all stock. [nod]

Anyway thanks for the warning. [thumbsup]

say you changed the exhausts. Exhausts is LTA approved and you have the certifications, so in this case, shld it be void or not? very stupid leh... but i must say warranty null due to sports rim is really too much.

wat e ****! Sports rim? Think will have to avoid Aviva for such unreasonable req'ts....

Long ago sports rims need to declare cos many pple fitted wrong size/offset etc which made the car unstable n prone to skidding.

say you changed the exhausts. Exhausts is LTA approved and you have the certifications, so in this case, shld it be void or not? very stupid leh... but i must say warranty null due to sports rim is really too much.

Wrong size/offset rims wil affect the handling quite a lot. More chance to skid.

Now we take them for granted but to b fair, I think many pple have poorly fitted rims n tires which cause unstable handling.

Even modded suspension like coil-overs if not properly fitted can b very dangerous. Many ws wil sell n fit fr u but many not really qualified or experienced to do so.

Many chap-a-lang MY mechs dont know 5hit but wil tell u everything also no problem. [sweatdrop]

is solar film considered a mod? thats the only "mod" i got [sweatdrop]

Ya I also hv but I dont think it sud affect unless its very dark tint which u cannot see properly at night.

Supersonic

As long as these mods are not illegal by LTA's definition, aviva can't be making up it's own rules to wriggle out of it's responsibility. Besides, the onus is oso on aviva to prove that these "mods" contributed to the damage. I hope the victim has consulted a lawyer to seek legal recourse over such an unfair practice.

Turbocharged

I did my insurance renewal insurance recently and did write in to them to enquire what do they mean by stock. Their reply as follows.

We have referred your case to our underwriter.

As long as your vehicle is not in stock condition, that means it is modified.

For this type of clauses I would rather avoid in case all the patterns come out.

Turbocharged

is solar film considered a mod? thats the only "mod" i got [sweatdrop]

You pump lower or higher grade petrol other than the recommended maybe also consider mod

if i were u, i would have answered "yes". its obvious the below items are added on your car by yourself.

1. Sports Rim

2. Strut Bar

4.Voltage Stabilizer

Which other insurance coys also ask this qn? My last insurance with Royal Sun did not have this qn.

I would agree if verified that root cause is rim is of wrong size or offset or not to mfgr recommendation but now Aviva is citing this outright not taking responsibility.

How abt cases such as using very good and branded tyres for standard rims but they have since worn out and not replaced. Brakes pads also finished. Then met w an accident. Allow to claim? car is dirt stock.

Insurance co should follow LTA rules and regulation. Not by setting up their own rules! This will create unnecessary confusion and allow insurance co to shrink their responsibility.

As long as your vehicle is not in stock condition, that means it is modified.

For this type of clauses I would rather avoid in case all the patterns come out.

the case above may be a precedent for many more to come..not a fair practice..that can meant tens of thousands of policyholders cannot claim in the event of accident :blink:

But if u have said NO to modification, then u sld be alright as long as u dont mod simple as that?

but now im thinking, if change battery not from AD servcing centre...consider mod or not

↡ Advertisement