New satellite-based ERP is ready

Billcoke

http://motoring.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/...228-330623.html

20120228.131210_erp.jpg

Motoring @ AsiaOne

'Some years' before new satellite-based ERP is ready: Minister

Tests are still ongoing and if the system is found to be technically feasible, there are still some years to go before launch. -AsiaOne

Tue, Feb 28, 2012

AsiaOne

The development of the new satellite-tracked Electronic Road Pricing (ERP) system is still in its "early stages", Minister of State for Transport Josephine Teo said in response to questions in Parliament on Tuesday.

Tests are still ongoing to make sure that the system is technically feasible and reliable in a built-up city like Singapore, she said.

And if the system is technically feasible, it is still "some years" before the system is ready to be launched and implemented, Mrs Teo added.

Satellite signals may bounce off tall buildings in built-up areas like Singapore, resulting in patchy accuracy, earlier reports said.

When the technology is proven, the Government will then study how to use the new system to influence motorists' usage of vehicles.

A tender for the project was awarded to four parties last year to conduct a system evaluation test for the next-generation ERP system.

According to The Straits Times, the four are Kapsch TrafficCom; MHI Engine System Asia & NCS; ST Electronics (Info-Comm Systems) & IBM Singapore; and Watchdata Technologies & Beijing Watchdata System.

Each party will receive $1 million in seed funding "to design, develop and demonstrate technological solutions".

The new system may charge motorists according to where they go and how much distances they clock.

[email protected]

Edited by Billcoke
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Minister said "Some years' before new satellite-based ERP is ready" , but you put the title as "New new satellite-based ERP is ready" Talk about selective quoting....

Really cannot understand, the $$ they got from ERP, road tax, COE, import tax still not enought for their greed? Die die got to suck us dry. [:(]

so how? road tax abolished? I'm ok cos my car always keep in carpark

GPS jammer got many but must see how they circumvent. Will they tag you once ur engine starts up? or linkup with those ERP devices that catch OPC cars? How to calculate if ur car underground or in tunnels?

Edited by Mockngbrd

Hope the COE will drop by then. Fair and square for everyone, the more u drive, the more u pay

COE is to control population, ERP is to control usage. So i think should be ERP drop bah. COE will drop only when ppl start to give up driving and force to take public.

GPS jammer got many but must see how they circumvent. Will they tag you once ur engine starts up? or linkup with those ERP devices that catch OPC cars? How to calculate if ur car underground or in tunnels?

This is a million dollar question, i am sure the scholars will come out with clever ideas to tax u.

Rd tax will scrap. This is what im told abt 5 yrs ago by one of the PTC official when he mention abt this GPS ERP pricing.

Sometimes i think we are slowly killing ourselves. I have spoken with some friends in sales line, they are worried how to sustain the cost of their car. Buy new car cannot, renew COE also cannot, how to do sales?

or connect direct to battery leaving the GPS 24/7 on just like our ERP. so push car also start charging

↡ Advertisement