How often should I really change my motor oil?

Yeobh

(edited)

An oil change costs only hundreds, but peace of mind is priceless.

Besides, what about cars like the GTR with "strict" recommendations to change every 5k?

Edited by Turboflat4

There is no hard rule on how often to change engine oil. It depends alot on driving and traffic conditions.

If you are those blast to redline on every gear, then confirm engine oil will not last long.

(edited)

Singapore's environment is considered severe use of the car. So yes, we need to change our EO often.

No mention what you encountering. Most cars here average lower than mileage of usage 20k km per year?

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

(edited)

There is no hard rule on how often to change engine oil. It depends alot on driving and traffic conditions.

If you are those blast to redline on every gear, then confirm engine oil will not last long.

I believe neither will the engine last [laugh]

Example: I only exceeded the cruising speed by less than 1000rpm (way below the redline) occassionally in Malaysia, and the engine much noisier after just 1 year driving.

Edited by Good-Carbuyer

Good info. BMW used to have intervals of 25k, but now it is down to 12k. Distance based though. Like the last time I sent in at 13k, still had 1.5k to go before I was supposed to service. Just sent in for peace of mind. Anyway abt ~$200 for peace of mind, and save loads of $$$ downstream from potential repairs

Our local standard is change engine oil every 6 months or 10,000 km, whichever is EARLIER

So if you follow this, whether OPC or normal car, every 6 months will service and change oil.

But I checked my car owners' manual, the standard is 12 months or 15,000km.... whichever earlier.

Mine is a japan make btw. Maybe u say Singapore driving condition more extreme so need to change more often, but I believe drag till abt 1 year or 10,000km, whichever is earlier...

And using this guideline, late by about a month or run 1,000km more shld be fine.

Sometimes I feel in tiny Singapore w expensive car that usually dun keep >10 years, we really over maintain our cars.

(edited)

No mention what you encountering. Most cars here average lower than mileage of usage 20k km per year?

Not really. There are some here (including myself) who clocks around 30k to 40k km a year.

More regular oil change and servicing.

Car well utilized.

Edited by Yuan

Good info. BMW used to have intervals of 25k, but now it is down to 12k. Distance based though. Like the last time I sent in at 13k, still had 1.5k to go before I was supposed to service. Just sent in for peace of mind. Anyway abt ~$200 for peace of mind, and save loads of $$$ downstream from potential repairs

bmw should last longer.............

as most likely fresh EO are introduced every2k, to top it up for the EO loss like my honda [cool]

Not really. There are some here (including myself) who clocks around 30k to 40k km a year.

More regular oil change and servicing.

Car well utilized.

I am aware to easily exceed 1000km with each over weekend trip into Malaysia. But not a lot drive that often, if look at their 5k km oil change intervals.

I rev regularly to 8+k and changed my engine oil every 10k. The engine is still running pretty well at 188k km (4.5 years ie > 40km per year).

Engine is noisy but still bearable but will need regular tappet adjustment.

I lose around 0.5 litre of engine oil per 7k km, so I'll need to top up a bit before 10k is up.

The acid test on what's the optimal change interval is how long the engine can last, and the best is to ask those with super high mileage.

I believe neither will the engine last [laugh]

Example: I only exceeded the cruising speed by less than 1000rpm (way below the redline) occassionally in Malaysia, and the engine much noisier after just 1 year driving.

↡ Advertisement