2012 Mazda 5

Kt2u

Popped by Mazda showroom and was pleasantly surprised that the new Mazda 5 landed on our shores already. Nice car, not sure why there isn't more publicity, maybe because they don't expect to sell too many at 169K?

↡ Advertisement

any1 bought this car?

I'm looking at getting a compact MPV. Had a look at the Stream, Wish, Mz 5, 5008, S-Max, C4 Picasso, Grand Scenic, Touran, and Zafira Tourer. After driving them, testing out the seating, etc, I'm veering towards the Grand Scenic and Zafira Tourer. They feel like the most value for money of the lot. For outright cheap, the Touran is it.

I'm looking at getting a compact MPV. Had a look at the Stream, Wish, Mz 5, 5008, S-Max, C4 Picasso, Grand Scenic, Touran, and Zafira Tourer. After driving them, testing out the seating, etc, I'm veering towards the Grand Scenic and Zafira Tourer. They feel like the most value for money of the lot. For outright cheap, the Touran is it.

How's the Zafira Tourer? Looking at this MPV as an option too..

How's the Zafira Tourer? Looking at this MPV as an option too..

My favorite at the moment :D

My run-down is as follows:

Wish & Stream: Over priced (See the Mz 5 overview), and doesn't come with proper rear AC vents.

Touran: Cheapest, and looks it, esp the interior materials and design.

5008: Gorgeous interior and dash (IMHO the best of the lot), but space is wasted, esp when you look at the C4 (which is essentially the same vehicle). Has the most accessories, and you can even rent roof storage when you need it. Unlike most of the rest which come with only 2nd row rear AC vents, third row aircon vents are standard like its C4 sibling, and the 2nd row vents for these two can be individually controlled by the occupants.

C4: Bright, cheery, love it or hate it quirky french dashboard, sufficient poke (like its 5008 sibling), has the same easy to move middle row, and other then aesthetics, a twin of the 5008 from the 2nd row onwards. However the gear changes, are terrible, and this is from someone who has driven self-shifting manuals (in-fact still driving my mom's punto every now and then). The 5008 on the other hand has silky smooth shifts in contrast.

Mz 5: Jack of all trades, master of none. It feels very in-between. Kind of like the Wish and Stream but with a larger cabin, extremely useful sliding rear door, 2nd row AC vents but without being overpriced. It feels larger than its predecessor.

S Max: Fast, nice interior thats let down by poor material choice. Like the Jap marques, it has less bells and whistles than the euro makes, and its a bit pricey compared to all bar the Wish, Stream, and 2l Grand Scenic.

Grand Scenic: The 2l version is pricey, however both versions are identical bar the engine so what I've seen should apply. The most versatile space usage of all the lot. Has the most bells and whistles, from sunroof, to rear view camera, to window blinds for the 2nd row. Window tints are the darkest of the lot from factory. Even my GF who's quite pro VW said forget the Touran after she saw this. Going to test drive the 1.6 diesel on Wed. From what I've read, its supposed to have the smoothest gear changes in contrast to every other self shifting manual out there (Mind you I can't really feel shifts on the Zafira, and its only slightly noticeable on the Touran), the 2l comes with a CVT unit.

Zafira Tourer: My favorite exterior, 2nd best interior of the lot. IMHO a little more bland looking than the 5008, but the materials feel top notch. If I didn't know already, I would not have expected that the gearbox was a self shifting manual. 2nd most versatile interior of the lot. Could be a little more insulated from road noise, but it's marginally worse than the rest, even then its mostly on bumps like speed strips. I love the blind spot sensor, seats are also the easiest to tilt forward of the lot, and if you're a cyclist like me, they can indent the version with the in-built bicycle rack. My only real worry would be availability of parts due to the low volume of Opel vehicles on our roads.

(edited)

Great write up..

I was looking at the opel model too..

Seems more sporty looking..

Prices for the models u reviewed?

I hope I remember correctly. I think plus minus around there when I saw them. I only remember the Touran and C4 coz I though they were really cheap, and the Zafira and Scenic coz I was really impressed by the versatility, interior, and specs of these two.

Touran: $139k standard, $153k sports

C4: $141k

5008: $146k

Grand Scenic: $154K (diesel), $172k (Petrol)

Zafira Tourer: $155k with panoramic sunroof, $151k w/o (add $3k for the versions with the in-built bicycle rack).

Mz 5: $160K

Stream: $163K

Wish: $165K

S Max: $180K

P.S. Just so everyone knows, I based my preferences mostly on the interior, versatility and bells and whistles of these cars.

Edited by Elfenstar

I hope I remember correctly. I think plus minus around there when I saw them. I only remember the Touran and C4 coz I though they were really cheap, and the Zafira and Scenic coz I was really impressed by the versatility, interior, and specs of these two.

Touran: $139k standard, $153k sports

C4: $141k

5008: $146k

Grand Scenic: $154K (diesel), $172k (Petrol)

Zafira Tourer: $155k with panoramic sunroof, $151k w/o (add $3k for the versions with the in-built bicycle rack).

Mz 5: $160K

Stream: $163K

Wish: $165K

S Max: $180K

P.S. Just so everyone knows, I based my preferences mostly on the interior, versatility and bells and whistles of these cars.

I thought I read somewhere that the new Zafira comes with a torque convertor 6 speeder? It's still an automated manual ah?

Hypersonic

The Renault Grand Scenic Diesel is 1.5dci. Did you check if it's Euro 5? Else not eligible for the reduced special tax next year.

The Renault Grand Scenic Diesel is 1.5dci. Did you check if it's Euro 5? Else not eligible for the reduced special tax next year.

Whoops! my bad 1.5dci it is. Yup its Euro 5, but what special tax reduction is this? Unless it's something else, I thought the green car rebate was for petrol cars only.

I thought I read somewhere that the new Zafira comes with a torque convertor 6 speeder? It's still an automated manual ah?

When I asked the sales lady, she told me it was a MTA transmission, and when I told her about my mom's old MTA corsa she said don't worry, the latest version is way better than my mom's first gen. If she was wrong and its a torque convertor or even a CVT, even better for me then ^_^

When I asked the sales lady, she told me it was a MTA transmission, and when I told her about my mom's old MTA corsa she said don't worry, the latest version is way better than my mom's first gen. If she was wrong and its a torque convertor or even a CVT, even better for me then ^_^

I remembered the review in ST stated that thankfully it's an 6-speed traditional torque convertor.

I remembered the review in ST stated that thankfully it's an 6-speed traditional torque convertor.

Better then. Less worries for me. Makes it an even better proposition [thumbsup]

Hypersonic
(edited)

Whoops! my bad 1.5dci it is. Yup its Euro 5, but what special tax reduction is this? Unless it's something else, I thought the green car rebate was for petrol cars only.

The special tax for Euro 4 passenger car is $1.25 per cc. But from next year onwards, if the car is Euro 5 then the special tax is only $0.40 per cc.

1.5L car:

1500 x $1.25 = $1875

1500 x $0.40 = $600

Savings of $1275 a year.

This special tax is on top of the road tax.

If it is me, I will go for the diesel one. You need the torque to get this people mover going.

Edited by Fcw75

Mazda is the best brand for making car and now its launch new car mazda 5 its really great car. This car have stylish looks and its comfort to drive. I have also this car and its really great to drive. It run smoothly. I like its interior and its comfort for four people seating inside in the car. This is amazing car in the world.

Sounds like a Mazda SE <_<

Neutral Newbie

just booked a mazda 5 over the weekend, with a 14k+ discount from the carnival, effictive paper price is 146K++, which i personnaly is very worth it, IMHO, most practical of the above mentioned lot...parts easy n cheaper than say renault or opel...bigger space than the opel...

before i was also aiming at the opel many many gadgets...panoramic roof...adjustable sun shade..etc, etc., but then oc prefer the sliding door...and the comfort of the M5..

FYI, the baisc cost of M5 based on 28K OMV, and 82K COE is about 146K already!!!!

Above only MHO, please do not flame me!

Cheers!

↡ Advertisement