ST Forum: Replace MCs With Honour System

Vulcann

I am all for this system but also a realist to know that some folks will abuse it if implemented... [rolleyes]

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_793022.html

EMPLOYMENT ACT REVIEW

Replace MCs with honour system

Published on Apr 27, 2012

I AM a doctor in a public primary health-care institution, and am currently on a six-week attachment at a hospital in San Francisco to learn some of their best practices. My hosts here have heard many good things about Singapore and its health-care system and are as keen to learn from me as I am from them.

One thing which I have found difficult to explain to them is the fact that many of our patients are those seeking medical certification for sick leave, adding to our already overloaded system ('Beefing up the Employment Act'; Wednesday).

It is ridiculous that people who are entrusted with carrying firearms, administering medication, making financial decisions on behalf of others or educating our young are not trusted to call in sick on their own without having to visit a doctor first.

Often, patients just need a day of rest with some medication which they can easily obtain from a pharmacy before going back to work reinvigorated.

In San Francisco, people are entitled to some 10 to 14 days of sick leave a year. If they take sick leave beyond a certain period, they are then required to produce a sick note. Otherwise, it is based on an honour system which seems to work well.

I wonder if the Ministry of Manpower will consider removing the need for sick leave to be certified by a doctor as is stated in the Employment Act. It could limit the need for a doctor's certification only for sick leave of three days or more.

This will greatly reduce the strain on public resources, freeing up time in the doctors' consulting rooms for those patients who truly need the time, as well as empower employees to take better charge of their own health.

I am sure the different organisations can come up with their own incentive programmes to ensure that employees stay healthy.

Dr David Tan Hsien Yung

↡ Advertisement

I concur. I am all for it. In fact, my boss trusts me and we aldy have this. However, I have never taken an MC in the last 10 yrs now. Think the cert i will produce is death cert.......

sumtimes, i jus email her, and she ok....

You have to trust your workers. Period!

14days MC leave.

Those who never takes them yearly are fooling themselves.

It's just like the annual leave.

The company has already worked in the salary according to these off days of the employees.

Don't take is like working at a lower salary than what the employer is actually able to pay you.

14days MC leave.

Those who never takes them yearly are fooling themselves.

It's just like the annual leave.

The company has already worked in the salary according to these off days of the employees.

Don't take is like working at a lower salary than what the employer is actually able to pay you.

That tells the difference between a committed worker and otherwise. If an employee takes too much mc, I identify it as sth is wrong, and the employee ain't happy. Falling sick often is not good, unless u are suffering from low immunity, cancer, etc, that causes your system to go under all the time.

This I noticed, the most motivated employees even when ill, come in, to assess situation, then go home when all is well.

I am all for this system but also a realist to know that some folks will abuse it if implemented... [rolleyes]

From ST Forum:

http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/...ory_793022.html

EMPLOYMENT ACT REVIEW

Replace MCs with honour system

Published on Apr 27, 2012

I AM a doctor in a public primary health-care institution, and am currently on a six-week attachment at a hospital in San Francisco to learn some of their best practices. My hosts here have heard many good things about Singapore and its health-care system and are as keen to learn from me as I am from them.

One thing which I have found difficult to explain to them is the fact that many of our patients are those seeking medical certification for sick leave, adding to our already overloaded system ('Beefing up the Employment Act'; Wednesday).

It is ridiculous that people who are entrusted with carrying firearms, administering medication, making financial decisions on behalf of others or educating our young are not trusted to call in sick on their own without having to visit a doctor first.

Often, patients just need a day of rest with some medication which they can easily obtain from a pharmacy before going back to work reinvigorated.

In San Francisco, people are entitled to some 10 to 14 days of sick leave a year. If they take sick leave beyond a certain period, they are then required to produce a sick note. Otherwise, it is based on an honour system which seems to work well.

I wonder if the Ministry of Manpower will consider removing the need for sick leave to be certified by a doctor as is stated in the Employment Act. It could limit the need for a doctor's certification only for sick leave of three days or more.

This will greatly reduce the strain on public resources, freeing up time in the doctors' consulting rooms for those patients who truly need the time, as well as empower employees to take better charge of their own health.

I am sure the different organisations can come up with their own incentive programmes to ensure that employees stay healthy.

Dr David Tan Hsien Yung

I believe the people holding the top appointments will have access to lead in abusing it just like corruption. Small fish get fried [laugh]

That tells the difference between a committed worker and otherwise. If an employee takes too much mc, I identify it as sth is wrong, and the employee ain't happy. Falling sick often is not good, unless u are suffering from low immunity, cancer, etc, that causes your system to go under all the time.

This I noticed, the most motivated employees even when ill, come in, to assess situation, then go home when all is well.

The construction industry where i am working, MC likely to be evidence the Safety Officer malingering: the workplace too dusty/air-polluted by fogging diesel

I agree on this. A committed person will not be deterred by mild sickness or discomfort. Although sometimes I feel that it would be better to stay home if they have flu, Hfmd (adult), so that they won't pass it to their co worker, who in turn might infect their family.

The construction industry where i am working, MC likely to be evidence the Safety Officer malingering: the workplace too dusty/air-polluted by fogging diesel

Think we have not gotten to that stage yet. somehow, blue collar (not to sound discriminatory), a majority, we need, as their mindset beckons. White collar and professionals, are more responsible to their task for their salary. This being said, there will be a few black sheep who would still abuse the system.

I agree on this. A committed person will not be deterred by mild sickness or discomfort. Although sometimes I feel that it would be better to stay home if they have flu, Hfmd (adult), so that they won't pass it to their co worker, who in turn might infect their family.

Yes! That is the main idea behind not coming in, ie, you do not want to spread the bug around. However, one will take the necessary precautions, wearing a mask, if really need be.

In this day of age, with remote technology ever present, I would say, it is far easier to implement a rule like this. Responsible workers will still do their due diligence and tasks handed upon them. However, if meeting people, or meetings, perhaps video con, facetime or conf calls can be done.

this is one good thing working for ang mo :D

a few sneeze in the office will get you sent home straight [laugh] [laugh]

this is one good thing working for ang mo :D

a few sneeze in the office will get you sent home straight [laugh][laugh]

yah yah...their culture is as such. [:p]

Yes! That is the main idea behind not coming in, ie, you do not want to spread the bug around. However, one will take the necessary precautions, wearing a mask, if really need be.

In this day of age, with remote technology ever present, I would say, it is far easier to implement a rule like this. Responsible workers will still do their due diligence and tasks handed upon them. However, if meeting people, or meetings, perhaps video con, facetime or conf calls can be done.

no more leave, so think of a way to meet you for lunch mah :D

I always have this belief:

Work will always be there. Even when you knock off at 9pm, it will still be there. Why slug at expense of health? My boss advocates a go hm sharp policy and is well received. In return, some of our workers are most motivated, and do their bearings with pride.

Another saying I will always take with me:

'you join because of the organisation, you leave because of the boss'. the boss makes your day, most times

no more leave, so think of a way to meet you for lunch mah :D

just tell your boss, you going SGH Blk 9 to see a friend. Make sure you sad looking when u say that [laugh][laugh][laugh]

if u notice, i said see, never said have lunch with...so choose ur words wisely

I concur. I am all for it. In fact, my boss trusts me and we aldy have this. However, I have never taken an MC in the last 10 yrs now. Think the cert i will produce is death cert.......

sumtimes, i jus email her, and she ok....

You have to trust your workers. Period!

this is a common practice in many hospitals, if not ALL hospital

the MC seems more accountable

otherwise employer may abuse the system of no MC and ask you to take your own leave instead

so there is a balance

in short we can fine tune it

this is a common practice in many hospitals, if not ALL hospital

the MC seems more accountable

otherwise employer may abuse the system of no MC and ask you to take your own leave instead

so there is a balance

in short we can fine tune it

You see doctor, you get MC. No doctor is going to risk saying you are fine and it brings in the moolah. Best part is I don't even have to pay for the fees.

I always have this belief:

Work will always be there. Even when you knock off at 9pm, it will still be there. Why slug at expense of health? My boss advocates a go hm sharp policy and is well received. In return, some of our workers are most motivated, and do their bearings with pride.

Another saying I will always take with me:

'you join because of the organisation, you leave because of the boss'. the boss makes your day, most times

wao good.. leave on time... is your place still hiring?

↡ Advertisement