Coilovers exprience sharing

Tanjm348

Neutral Newbie

Hi. I'm looking for a set of coilovers to replace my current Drift Racing onces for track use.

There's so much choices on the market. looking for one that is value for $
Anyone care to share their expriences.

Anyone has tried refurishing old ones and used high vecosity damper oils to increase hardness?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Bro,

You need to decide what is best for your setup?

- Handling

- Reduce bottoming out during full load

- Reducing overall car height

Looking at your current coilovers, are there things that you like/don't like ?

Brands You Can Research On :

- D2 (usually very stiff)

- BC (Can be soft dependent on spring rate)

- HKS hypermax (Normal operation is noisy)

- Cusco (Have Not Tested Before)

- Koni (i.e. Not coilovers, sports absorber with height adjustment) - had good reviews from my peers

If you wanna overhaul your current coilovers, How much ???

If you wanna increase stiffness, why don't change to heavy spring rate.

Hope It Helps.

Cheers

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the input.

I was looking around to have my current set refurish. Price-wise is about $180 per pcs in SGP

I was hoping to find a garage which will not only refurb the shock but customise the stiffness.

I'm finding it too soft on track. I heard BC V1 is pretty good.

By the way, I'm having problems understanding the terms spring rate. Higher spring rate = "heavy"?

Thanks for the input.

I was looking around to have my current set refurish. Price-wise is about $180 per pcs in SGP

I was hoping to find a garage which will not only refurb the shock but customise the stiffness.

By the way, I'm having problems understanding the terms spring rate. Higher spring rate = "heavy"?

customise stiffness = making custom springs?

If you do so, will the damping match up to it?

increasing the damping is more about the viscosity of the oil, it requires either re-shimming or revalving the shocks internally, both of which require a shock dyno to properly determine the new damping characteristics, and a whole lot of other car data parameters to consider beforehand. You're approaching what professional teams are doing alr..

Perhaps one way to counter the softness of the springs would be to increase your ARB stiffness.

higher spring rate = stiffer. what do you mean by heavy?

i'm currently on the BC coilovers BR series.. They feel only slightly stiffer than stock and are a good value for $$ imo. For spirited driving, tested them in about 100kms of twisty roads and they were great. Was running quite low tyre pressures though and felt there was a little bit of understeer. Increased feedback and response, giving more confidence through the turns. Not tested on the tracks yet, nor planning to any time in the near future.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the input.

I used to be on BC V1 series. Very firm and quite stable and each of the dampers can be serviced.

Currently, I am on German brand Sachs.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Thanks for the input.

A friend of mine, is currently on Titan coilovers, they are suspension guys in Malaysia that customizes shocks.

Maybe I'll pay them a visit during one of my holiday trips up north. He is currently using them on his VW R32

http://titanshocks.com/index.html

Neutral Newbie

anyone on BC coilover here n had u service e coilover b4?care to share with mi where to do e servicing n price?thks in advance, [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie

anyone on BC coilover here n had u service e coilover b4?care to share with mi where to do e servicing n price?thks in advance, [rolleyes]

Dont think BC can service or worth servicing. Cause you can just get replacement absorbers at ard $150 per pcs..

Which that price, Y will you need to service?

When I wanted to service my HKS, Garage R asked me to dekit the whole coilover so can send to Japan to service.

Then use back stock suspension for 3 weeks or so.

Not to forget they still charge for labour to install and dekit. And need to align again.

Dont think BC can service or worth servicing. Cause you can just get replacement absorbers at ard $150 per pcs..

Which that price, Y will you need to service?

When I wanted to service my HKS, Garage R asked me to dekit the whole coilover so can send to Japan to service.

Then use back stock suspension for 3 weeks or so.

Not to forget they still charge for labour to install and dekit. And need to align again.

Its actually considered servicing. Cause it is not buying a new set of shocks. Its trading in your old ones for recon and get another set of recon.

Its actually considered servicing. Cause it is not buying a new set of shocks. Its trading in your old ones for recon and get another set of recon.

I dont think is recon. The shocks are new. $150 per piece.

i confirm its brand new and they dont service it. Its much faster this way as lead time is reduced.

i know cos i am on BC and changed out on the 2nd sets after 100k after it leaked.

• Praise 1

hmm im thinking of purchasing a 2nd hand bc v1, used for 8mths, for my swift sport..

should i bite the bullet..hmmm

any idea how much does racetech/rtes charge for coilover installation..

↡ Advertisement