Autobacs Battery Test Report - Comparison over time

Yixiang1

I made use of autobacs free battery test and obtained the detailed print out reports. Over time, you can see the CCA of my battery dropping. With bro KB's advice, I have determined that my alternator charging is ok, but CCA is on the low side after 2 years. but it is still rated as "good battery". :D

Battery details:

55B24R

Brand: Trane Silver Battery.

Cost: $102+

Rated: 520CCA (but initial battery test shows 570 CCA - quite POWER imho)

You can see the 3 battery test reports below. Read from left to right, 1st report July 2010, then Dec 2011, then July 2012. Most recent test on the right. Will wait for bro KB and other battery experts to comment on the reports.

For sharing purposes and to learn how to read the reports! And Finally, Thanks Autobacs!!!

cci0807201200001.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Battery details:

55B24R

Brand: Trane Silver Battery.

Cost: $102+

Rated: 520CCA (but initial battery test shows 570 CCA - quite POWER imho)

err. if your battery rating is 520CCA, why is it the rated CCA for your 2nd and 3rd report put 370CCA only? correct me if I'm wrong, but you put 370 and your battery give 356, of course report say "Good Battery"?

err. if your battery rating is 520CCA, why is it the rated CCA for your 2nd and 3rd report put 370CCA only? correct me if I'm wrong, but you put 370 and your battery give 356, of course report say "Good Battery"?

370 was entered by autobacs person... Not sure if it's the default when 55b24r battery is entered into tester....

spec sheet of trane batteries 55B24R. (google 55B24R brought me to amaron green batteries haha).

http://www.016battery.com/jis55b24r.html

CCA says 520 amps. 356 CCA for the batt now is pretty low. Do you feel like battery very weak when you start?

My guess is the autobacs person put JIS 55B24. might be a different model? not sure. that one might have CCA of 370.

Supersonic

370 was entered by autobacs person... Not sure if it's the default when 55b24r battery is entered into tester....

Hi,

Rating should be entered per the spec claimed at 520 cca and not use JIS 55B24 which would be in error.

A standard way of determining battery life is that when measured at 70~75% of the rated spec, then the battery is considered having 0% battery life.

When you use JIS standard of 370 and the measured is 356, it will show good.

When you set to 520 and the measured is 356, it will show bad.

The "good" and "bad" is judged based on the input of rated specs.

So in a bad way, you can trick the meter to show the results that you want.

Hi,

Rating should be entered per the spec claimed at 520 cca and not use JIS 55B24 which would be in error.

A standard way of determining battery life is that when measured at 70~75% of the rated spec, then the battery is considered having 0% battery life.

When you use JIS standard of 370 and the measured is 356, it will show good.

When you set to 520 and the measured is 356, it will show bad.

The "good" and "bad" is judged based on the input of rated specs.

So in a bad way, you can trick the meter to show the results that you want.

Thanks for sharing! So the mechanic that did my most recent test, if he had entered 520cca he might b able to tell me battery bad Liao..

Just one question, why do u apply the 70-75% of rated cca, instead of a minimum cca? Coz I know Amaron is rated a bit lower, like 400+ cca, so it's 75% would b lower than my trane battery. This trane at 356cca might still b good for a while isn't it??

Thanks for sharing. And if u would like to educate bros here on reading the charging voltage, pls go ahead. Cheers!

Supersonic

Thanks for sharing! So the mechanic that did my most recent test, if he had entered 520cca he might b able to tell me battery bad Liao..

Just one question, why do u apply the 70-75% of rated cca, instead of a minimum cca? Coz I know Amaron is rated a bit lower, like 400+ cca, so it's 75% would b lower than my trane battery. This trane at 356cca might still b good for a while isn't it??

Thanks for sharing. And if u would like to educate bros here on reading the charging voltage, pls go ahead. Cheers!

If the mech had used 520 cca, the battery result will show bad.

Bcoz the meter simply use a mathematical calculation of X% based on input spec and decide if it's good or bad.

For some battery tester maker, they use 75% as a benchmark. There's no real standard as I've read from some using 70 up to 80%. So it's kind of a best estimate. At 75% it does not necessary mean your battery won't start your engine, it probably means it's time to look for a replacement...with a safety margin.

Some people may use a figure as low as 50% of rated spec. That's getting real close to a battery actually not able to start the engine imo.

Why not used a min cca ? My guess is that % of rated spec indicates the overall health of the battery, rather than absolute value which can start your car.

I've found this figure quite wide-ranging and probably depends on the battery size/engine size/starter motor load relationship. In many cases, people have complained about being able to start engine normally and suddenly without warning it can't, the next time. They didn't know that their battery cca is already way down. That's why they encounter this sudden non-starting.

As to whether your trane at 356 can last for a while, frankly I dunno. It may be a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Does it suddenly die by taking a deep dive? Again I dunno, it might.

Alternator charging voltage has a good range of between 13.5 to 15.5V.

Some alternator used higher, some lower voltage.

As long as they are within the range, it is ok.

Alternator can also become defective if the voltage regulation is no good.

Example, at idle it reads 13V. When you rev engine rpm, voltage goes up to 14V.

That's an alternator with a bad regulator and will not charge the battery properly.

It should be replaced asap.

Thanks for the explanation!!

Will probably change this battery soon.. maybe just 1 or 2 more month.. :D

↡ Advertisement