This car seat ok to use?

Simonsoh

definitely wont be placing in the front. cuz now got 2 babies. both put behind with bulky child seats. wifey sit in the centre almost have to sit sideways cuz not enuf room left. so looking for slimmer child seats for the elder kid abt 2.5yr old... i wouldnt worry abt side impact protection... cuz i see the side of my current child seat, its styrofoam dah.... i juz concern on impact, will my kid still be restrained... never see this seat retailing here, from pics very hard to tell how it work so see if any bros see before anot...

yo. pls take a look at this car seat.... so cheap and space saving... TP allow?

link:

http://list.qoo10.sg/item/BABY-CHILDREN-CA...-BLUE/405261547

Looks interesting but immediately I can see it lacks head/neck protection which normal baby car seats have at the sides. This is to prevent the baby's neck/head from snapping sideways on side-impact. Front and rear protection seems ok though I can't really see the buckles. Approved car seats have at least 3 points buckles.

And as with normal car seats, it won't be advisable to put them in seats with air-bags. In this sense, even curtain airbags at the rear seats may hit the baby in this strap as opposed to a normal car seat.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks for input abt head protection. but my take is this... normally abot 3yrs old or 15kg, people start using booster seat liao.. to me, booster seats is nothing more than a "barber" kind of seat to raise the toddler's height so that the normal seat belts may be applied. in this case of booster seat, the head protection, side protection and whatever airbag whack the side all out of the window once we start to use booster seat liao tio bo?

pardon my long windedness, just a kiasu father trying to balance babies safety and my wife's comfort in a small sedan....

thanks for input abt head protection. but my take is this... normally abot 3yrs old or 15kg, people start using booster seat liao.. to me, booster seats is nothing more than a "barber" kind of seat to raise the toddler's height so that the normal seat belts may be applied. in this case of booster seat, the head protection, side protection and whatever airbag whack the side all out of the window once we start to use booster seat liao tio bo?

pardon my long windedness, just a kiasu father trying to balance babies safety and my wife's comfort in a small sedan....

Understand your situation as I also have 2 car seats in the rear - 1 Maxi Cosi Priori baby car seat (for my 2.5 yr old) and Maxi Cosi Rodi - booster cum backing with headrest with seatbelt guide (for my 6 year old), with only room in the middle for a Hobbit.

If your child can use the booster than this new strap thingy will be too small for your child anyway. As a child who can use a booster need to be of certain height and weight. Think 3 yrs old / 15kg a bit too early to start using booster unless the neck is able to clear the seatbelt.

The booster on its own is just to let the child use the adult seat belt without it cutting across the neck so you are right to say it has no head/neck protection anyway.

Edited by Elmo

Based on the pic, this is somewhat like those baby carry harness, that parents strap their baby infront when they are walking.

In the pic, the "harness" is strapped to the car seat, a belting is shown going behind.

Wouldn't you like to consider placing your older kid n car seat in front pax seat. Your younger kid n car seat and wife will be in the rear. I personally prefer this arrangement compared to the "harness". More comfort n safety for both kids.

Edited by Opel17

There are booster seats that are more than glorified phone books. These are like normal child seats but have additional support and protection for the side as well as being able to use the car seatbelts, e.g. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3674333

But this idea, if approved and tested, is good for taxis. As currently there is a loophole that children in taxis do not need to be restrained in child seats, as it would be impractical.

There are booster seats that are more than glorified phone books. These are like normal child seats but have additional support and protection for the side as well as being able to use the car seatbelts, e.g. http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3674333

But this idea, if approved and tested, is good for taxis. As currently there is a loophole that children in taxis do not need to be restrained in child seats, as it would be impractical.

That's a good suggestion for the taxis. Also good to pack for travel where rental cars may not have car seats.

This looks like a "murder seat" rather than a safe car seat.

Look out for approval labels such as TUV, EN, JIS, etc. for proper car seats.

Based on the pic, this is somewhat like those baby carry harness, that parents strap their baby infront when they are walking.

In the pic, the "harness" is strapped to the car seat, a belting is shown going behind.

Wouldn't you like to consider placing your older kid n car seat in front pax seat. Your younger kid n car seat and wife will be in the rear. I personally prefer this arrangement compared to the "harness". More comfort n safety for both kids.

older kid only 3 yr old... i scared cannot tahan airbag's impact if anything happen... that's what they say right?

older kid only 3 yr old... i scared cannot tahan airbag's impact if anything happen... that's what they say right?

Try checking your car manual or agent how to deactivate the front pax airbag whenever your kid is on the front pax seat.