Help needed on problem experienced on lexus IS250

Sei_fei_loh

Hi all,

Can anyone here advise what cld be wrong?

After the car has been stopped for 30mins or more, there will be this harsh rattling sound from the engine during start-up.. The sound is somehow like 'clattering'.. 'Clak clak clak' for abt 1s or so...

Car no more warranty thu cant go back to borneo.

Any current/ex is250 owners and experts here can give sound advise?

Tks for all inputs.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi all,

After the car has been stopped for 30mins or more, there will be this harsh rattling sound from the engine during start-up.. The sound is somehow like 'clattering'.. 'Clak clak clak' for abt 1s or so...

Tks for all inputs.

Hi Bro,

based on the description that you gave, it could be gasket problem. pls take note the colour of your car exhaust o/p immediate after cold start or starting the engine after it had been stopped for >30mins. if the the colour is white-blueish, high chance it has a leak somewhere at the gasket area.

it is best that you send ur ride back to borneo for a full engine inspection. A search on the IS250 engine, 4GR-FSE type, had quite a fair bit of faults and problems around the world.

• Praise 1

Hi all,

Tks for all inputs.

Interesting

Next time before you start the car, turn the key to On but do not crank

After 5 seconds turn back to off

Repeat

On the third time then crank the engine

Does it still have the clattering sound?

• Praise 1

Hi,

From your description, it doesn't sound too serious. It could simply be that your engine bay cover or some other thing is loose and when you crank it vibrates. For me, I'd always troubleshoot from the cheapest and simplest way first.

Anyway, I would recommend you send it down to Lexus for them to check. Their diagnostic/workmanship cost is actually not to ex. Its their parts that is the killer and if it turns out that certain parts really need to be changed, then I'd recommend you go over to Ricardo at Sin Ming to change it. Look for Ang (he's the lead mechanic). Tell him the blue IS250 recommended you there. They have experience in servicing Lexus cars and their parts are definitely cheaper than Lexus.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for Ricardo or get any intro fee. Its just that I have been going there and find that they are quite good and solve problems from the source

Hi all,

Tks for all inputs.

• Praise 1

Hi Bro,

based on the description that you gave, it could be gasket problem. pls take note the colour of your car exhaust o/p immediate after cold start or starting the engine after it had been stopped for >30mins. if the the colour is white-blueish, high chance it has a leak somewhere at the gasket area.

it is best that you send ur ride back to borneo for a full engine inspection. A search on the IS250 engine, 4GR-FSE type, had quite a fair bit of faults and problems around the world.

I dont see any white-blueish..

Seriosuly.. All along i tot toyota is reliable thus took the is250... Didnt knw it has fair bit of faults.. And its the engine some more.. Sigh...

Interesting

Next time before you start the car, turn the key to On but do not crank

After 5 seconds turn back to off

Repeat

On the third time then crank the engine

Does it still have the clattering sound?

I will try but can share why this method? What is it trying to test?

Hi,

From your description, it doesn't sound too serious. It could simply be that your engine bay cover or some other thing is loose and when you crank it vibrates. For me, I'd always troubleshoot from the cheapest and simplest way first.

Anyway, I would recommend you send it down to Lexus for them to check. Their diagnostic/workmanship cost is actually not to ex. Its their parts that is the killer and if it turns out that certain parts really need to be changed, then I'd recommend you go over to Ricardo at Sin Ming to change it. Look for Ang (he's the lead mechanic). Tell him the blue IS250 recommended you there. They have experience in servicing Lexus cars and their parts are definitely cheaper than Lexus.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for Ricardo or get any intro fee. Its just that I have been going there and find that they are quite good and solve problems from the source

Ic.. Maybe next wk. urs dun have such issue?

Hi,

Ic.. Maybe next wk. urs dun have such issue?

I dont see any white-blueish..

Seriosuly.. All along i tot toyota is reliable thus took the is250... Didnt knw it has fair bit of faults.. And its the engine some more.. Sigh...

Hi,

as u mentioned there's no white-blueish smoke, its unlikely it is the same sound that is in the video; there is a description in the video mentioned there is white-blueish smoke after starting the engine. it could be camshaft problem.

although toyota is known for their reliablity, but there are alot of problems, like the case of stuck accelerator that happened in the US, since year 2000.

as what Cheong72 has mentioned, it is recommended to send your car back to Borneo for checks 1st.

• Praise 1