[OFFICIAL] Rare Singapore protest as population debate rages

XWD

Neutral Newbie

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/06/...N0B65NW20130206

Whoa... mai sng sng... Someone on the ball planning public protest!! Who's going???

PS - Mods, if this is considered another dupe thread, then pls do the necessary.

Feb 6 (Reuters) - Singapore is to hold a rare anti-government demonstration against plans for a dramatic increase in immigration that would boost the island's population by as much as 30 percent by 2030.

Discontent is growing in affluent Singapore over a rising number of foreigners blamed for strains on infrastructure, ballooning housing costs and transportation headaches in a country slightly smaller than New York City.

Public expression is a delicate act in Singapore where government figures, including elder statesman Lee Kuan Yew, father of the current prime minister, Lee Hsien Loong, have sued critical opposition MPs for defamation. Nearly all media are pro-government.

Protest organiser Gilbert Goh said he hoped to attract 1,000 people to the Feb. 16 event at Speakers' Corner, a designated park exempt from strict government controls over assemblies, speeches and outdoor protests.

Nearly 1,100 people said on a Facebook page they will or may join the demonstration against a government proposal on Jan. 29 to raise the population to 6.9 million. Of that, up to 36 percent, or 2.5 million, would be made up of foreign workers to balance a low birth rate and sustain economic growth.

"Let us send a strong signal to our government that we don't want 6.9 million people living here by 2030," Goh said.

The public generally supports Singapore's tough laws and tight social controls as part of a social contract that in return has delivered years of economic prosperity.

But calls for change are growing. Opposition parties won record support in the 2011 general election. The long-ruling People's Action Party, founded by Lee Kuan Yew, occupies 80 of 87 seats in parliament but lost two recent by-elections by surprisingly large margins in signs of mounting discontent. (Reporting by Kevin Lim Editing by Jason Szep and Nick Macfie)

Edited by XWD
↡ Advertisement

I remember long long ago the S*cape protest, someone using plastic figurines and attach really small placard onto the hand of the figurines. I remember seeing A photo of the protest with two red PTU trucks in the background.

Can't remember what the protest was about.....

Turbocharged

Let's go to show our force! Hong Lim park so is legal..

only scare hong lim park not big enough to contain the force [laugh] [laugh]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Any demonstration got to get approval from SPF. I don't think is that easy lor.

Organizer got permit!!! Woot! Better go voice our support!!

Edited by XWD

Whether gahment concern or not it's not important, lim peh just want to voice my displeasure on the issue.

But first I got to get permit from my wife. :D

they give a damn as MANY ppl kaopeh kaobu.

now become projection only... and they keep harping it on TV and newspaper..

they give a damn as MANY ppl kaopeh kaobu.

now become projection only... and they keep harping it on TV and newspaper..

四十七年已过去了,难道还没看清楚他们的老鬼计吗? 讲一套,做一套 [knife]

Managing it like a company and profits always come 1st for them...

who cares if there are more SGreans or FWs/FTs.

Now if i leave my car for repair and take a bus to work, i feel like i am travelling in other countries.

↡ Advertisement