Used RX-8

Limxiaoming

(edited)

Dear bros, sorry I did not dig up the old Mazda RX-8 thread cause the topics all did not seem very relevant.

Am looking at a pre-owned, pre FL RX-8. In particular it's this one:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...582&DL=2151

Any bros here with advice on what to look out for?

I'm mentally prepared for the higher fuel consumption, slightly higher insurance and more frequent mineral oil change.

Are there any obvious faults with this car after 5yrs etc?

If any of the bros here happen to know the history of this car would be even better!

Thank you much much [grouphug]

post-27527-1369206160_thumb.jpg

Edited by Limxiaoming
↡ Advertisement

I also looking past few months but prices aren't softening

Ya prices quite firm cause I think the dealers did not buy the cars cheap.

Most of them still damn guai lan. Buy from them sian 1/2

Dear bros, sorry I did not dig up the old Mazda RX-8 thread cause the topics all did not seem very relevant.

Am looking at a pre-owned, pre FL RX-8. In particular it's this one:

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...582&DL=2151

Any bros here with advice on what to look out for?

I'm mentally prepared for the higher fuel consumption, slightly higher insurance and more frequent mineral oil change.

Are there any obvious faults with this car after 5yrs etc?

If any of the bros here happen to know the history of this car would be even better!

Thank you much much [grouphug]

I used to own an Maroon RX-8 in 2008. It was one of my best ride. Went into a lot of forum to understand what I am getting myself into.

Few things to take note:

- Auto or manual transmission: Mine comes with the manual gear instead of the shift pedal behind the steering. Although, its still using a twin rotary engine, the manual gear help bring down the petrol consumption.

- Ignition coil: My 1st servicing was madness. Had to fork out 1.5k because 1 of the ignition coil is damage. Although, Garage-R quoted me $150 for 1 ignition coil, you have to change all the ignition coil to be safe. 1 damage coil may damage the rest due to misfiring. And 3 ignition coil on each engine.... you have to change 6 ignition coil at 1 shot. $150X6...you do the math.

- Coolant warning sign: Before I sold off my car, I had been getting the coolant warning sign. When I had it checked, most workshop says it is just the sensors. It comes and go. Checked online and apparently other people had the same issues as well. Get your approved workshop to check on the coolant sensor. (most workshop have no idea about this.)

- Hot air: From the engine, the air flows directly beneath gear box to the back. So you know the compartment separating the driver and the passenger on the left and all the way to the back (which makes it a 4 seater rather than the 5 seater, it contains the output hot air from the twin rotary engines. You tend to feel the heat on a hot day and your leg will sweat when you have been driving the car for a long period at 1 time. Also, try standing beside the car just outside the door after driving long. You can feel hot air (very hot) coming out from underneath.

Other than that, RX8 is a cool car. Nice to rev, good torque, very responsive and sexy car to drive.

I test drove 220km up to KL. Got fined at one of the roadblocks near Melaka. $300RM...Ouch. (Always look out when driving under bridges)

always heard about apex oil seals problem and frequent top up of engine oil. need to achieve high revs if not no power at the low revs. best to test drive and see if its ur cup of tea.

I used to own an Maroon RX-8 in 2008. It was one of my best ride. Went into a lot of forum to understand what I am getting myself into.

Few things to take note:

- Auto or manual transmission: Mine comes with the manual gear instead of the shift pedal behind the steering. Although, its still using a twin rotary engine, the manual gear help bring down the petrol consumption.

- Ignition coil: My 1st servicing was madness. Had to fork out 1.5k because 1 of the ignition coil is damage. Although, Garage-R quoted me $150 for 1 ignition coil, you have to change all the ignition coil to be safe. 1 damage coil may damage the rest due to misfiring. And 3 ignition coil on each engine.... you have to change 6 ignition coil at 1 shot. $150X6...you do the math.

- Coolant warning sign: Before I sold off my car, I had been getting the coolant warning sign. When I had it checked, most workshop says it is just the sensors. It comes and go. Checked online and apparently other people had the same issues as well. Get your approved workshop to check on the coolant sensor. (most workshop have no idea about this.)

- Hot air: From the engine, the air flows directly beneath gear box to the back. So you know the compartment separating the driver and the passenger on the left and all the way to the back (which makes it a 4 seater rather than the 5 seater, it contains the output hot air from the twin rotary engines. You tend to feel the heat on a hot day and your leg will sweat when you have been driving the car for a long period at 1 time. Also, try standing beside the car just outside the door after driving long. You can feel hot air (very hot) coming out from underneath.

Other than that, RX8 is a cool car. Nice to rev, good torque, very responsive and sexy car to drive.

I test drove 220km up to KL. Got fined at one of the roadblocks near Melaka. $300RM...Ouch. (Always look out when driving under bridges)

Thanks bro! For the input.

Will keep these points in mind.

I'm actually more concerned about the rotary engine breaking down, gearbox having problems and the replacement costs (1st time buying 2nd hand)

Also worried about what the ad states (gearbox just changed and still have 6mth warranty) - Gearbox so easy spoil 1 ah?

Hopefully won't buy the car at $55k and having end up paying $20,000 for replacement parts.

Ya prices quite firm cause I think the dealers did not buy the cars cheap.

Most of them still damn guai lan. Buy from them sian 1/2

try the forum bro u can get direct from owner who wants to sell or upgrade their ride...rather than dealer....

(edited)

Thanks bro! For the input.

Will keep these points in mind.

I'm actually more concerned about the rotary engine breaking down, gearbox having problems and the replacement costs (1st time buying 2nd hand)

Also worried about what the ad states (gearbox just changed and still have 6mth warranty) - Gearbox so easy spoil 1 ah?

Hopefully won't buy the car at $55k and having end up paying $20,000 for replacement parts.

It really depends on how the previous owner took care of the car, think it's the same for used piston or rotary engine cars. But having said that, it is different driving and maintaining a rotary-powered car. You can't drive it like a normal family saloon or hybrid car. A redline a day keeps the carbon away, as what some RX8 old birds will say.

From what I know, the so-called problematic ones are the 04-05 models but the later batches of the pre-FL models are certainly better and more reliable. And the FL models have been further improved in terms of reliability and performance. Gearboxes of RX8 aren't that easy to break down unless the previous owner did some crazy mods on the car. As for the reliability issue, there are quite a few pre-FL RX8 running well over 100K km plus of mileage in Spore and even more in other parts of the world.

However, do note that rotary-powered cars, like RX8, isn't everyone's cup of tea as its uniqueness doesn't appeal to all. Topping up of engine oil isn't really a big problem at all but you need to check the level of engine oil a little more times. The fuel consumption can be really unacceptable by some in modern standards. The power is at the top end, so you got to thrash it to feel it and it will actually thank you for it, but that means it isn't really that comfortable to drive on congested city roads.

End of the day, each car has its strengths/appeals and weaknesses/drawbacks. To me, RX8 is a car that you either love it or hate it. Go to the rx8 forum to find it more and arrange a test drive if possible. And if you do decide to get a used one, do send it for compression test first.

Hope it helps... [cool]

Edited by Akiyo

This is real goodie info

I also heard the hot feel at the divider part

If get this type of car cfm nicer with MT

I also comparing this car to cl7r

Although both totally diff class

Both r good cars

(edited)

This is real goodie info

I also heard the hot feel at the divider part

If get this type of car cfm nicer with MT

I also comparing this car to cl7r

Although both totally diff class

Both r good cars

I agree with you, getting a MT model will be more engaging to drive until you face a traffic jam... [:p]

CL7R is also a good car, also has a high-revving NA engine, like the rotary.

Still, it is down to personal preference in the end. [;)]

Edited by Akiyo

Ya man I change from MT to AT n regret big x

Aiming for the rite x to get a MT

Wish to own a 2/3 door once in a life

But 4 door cfm more convenient

Like wat a bro advice me here

Still waiting

Ya man I change from MT to AT n regret big x

Aiming for the rite x to get a MT

Wish to own a 2/3 door once in a life

But 4 door cfm more convenient

Like wat a bro advice me here

Still waiting

For a coupe, RX8 is considered easy to get in and out due to its 'free-style' doors. And its rear seats are also considered to be usable, as compared to the Audi TT for example. That's why RX8 is considered to be a 4-door, 4-seater sports car by the automotive world.

Bro dont talk c--k leh...rx8 only got 4 ignition coil and the torque is bad...unless you get a 5 speed manual or 4speed auto...

But true rotary fans prefer the 6 port engine for maximum power and more horses

Currently driving a 6 speed manual type s

If you like it and can afford it, then go for it.

Just hope the car's on genuine weds sport rims and not those fakes which wannabes like to put on.

Neutral Newbie

driven one before, personally my fav car! although slow on straight but corner no body can match! want even more responsive get a throttle controller, SP9 is crazy and petrol drink like crazy too... anyway, on the maintenance side, yes agree on the sensor. My coolant icon keep on coming on and off every 15 - 30 mins drive. nothing serious but quite irritating...

few times power just kena cut off, once on the slope joining main road, car just rolled back.. lol

and the clutch and the leg room area will get very hot, once mine was so hot i couldn't step on the clutch, cos i personally dont wear shoes when driving [:p]

But other than that, like what other bros said, its a very beautiful car, nice doors and fun to drive!! [thumbsup]