I need help with a Hyundai Getz Vibration

Warwick

Neutral Newbie

I have a 2006 Hyundai, 5 door, Getz with the 1.6 lt motor and five speed gearbox, the problem is that about 80kms per hour the car develops a vibration you can feel it and hear it. It does not come through the steering and I have had the tyres checked and balanced. It is most noticeable when in fourth gear at 80kms, if you put it into fifth which reduces the engine revs the vibration is not as noticeable, then by the time you get to 100kms the vibration is gone. It is also noticeable when accelerating at lower speeds whilst in second and third gear whilst gaining momentum. Have you any suggestions on what it might be and what should I fix or replace first any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[wave]

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

I have a 2006 Hyundai, 5 door, Getz with the 1.6 lt motor and five speed gearbox, the problem is that about 80kms per hour the car develops a vibration you can feel it and hear it. It does not come through the steering and I have had the tyres checked and balanced. It is most noticeable when in fourth gear at 80kms, if you put it into fifth which reduces the engine revs the vibration is not as noticeable, then by the time you get to 100kms the vibration is gone. It is also noticeable when accelerating at lower speeds whilst in second and third gear whilst gaining momentum. Have you any suggestions on what it might be and what should I fix or replace first any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

[wave]

It could be from suspension or chassis - if the car kena accident before. If it reqlly is, then change car it cannot be fix.

But seeing your car age, it also probably fron drive shaft. Change the shaft and u will be good to go.

Neutral Newbie

[wave] Firstly, thanks very much for the advise regarding changing the drive shaft.

Secondly, the car has not been in an accident at all apart from an incident in a car park, only minor door damage so we can rule out the suspension or chassis as a source of the vibration.

Last but not least someone else has suggested it may be the engine mounts, try need changing them; what do you think?

Engine mounting... Very common problem especially when ur car is more than 5yrs old... Go have it check out and if I am not wrong, your ride is 3 mountings which 1 is supporting your gearbox...

Neutral Newbie

[wave] Firstly, thanks very much for the advise regarding changing the drive shaft.

Secondly, the car has not been in an accident at all apart from an incident in a car park, only minor door damage so we can rule out the suspension or chassis as a source of the vibration.

Last but not least someone else has suggested it may be the engine mounts, try need changing them; what do you think?

Yes bro. Engine mounting can also be a culprit. it shouldn't be expensive for engine mounting. 200 i think.

Drive shaft is like the last option if engine mounting doesn't solve the issue.

your mileage??? more than 160k???

sounds like your drive shaft and I am referring to the whole piece and not the CV joint. Most likely is the longer shaft from driver's side to GB.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Hamburger,

No my 2006 Gerty Gerz is just coming up to its 60,000 kms servicing, currently has 58,760 on the clock.

(edited)

Try driving without music n wind down window , notice any abnormal noise during vibration. if not -

Your gearbox need to be checked.

if its engine mounting, it should be vibrating alot during idling and once move its ok.

Edited by Ronaldling3217

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your imput and suggestions, much appreciated.

After a number of road trips trying to work out what it may be. I have noticed that speed seems to play no part in the vibration it comes in about 2,500 revs, regardless of what gear you are in.

If I put the car in netural and rev it up to 2500 RPMs the vibration is there but it is worse when traveling at speed (still doing only 2500 RPMs).

So at this stage I have ruled out the drive shafts and I am focusing on the engine mounts.

I tried bouncing the car up and down while in netural and standing still with the engine running at 2500RPM and the vibration was there.

So it is now engine mounts or shock asbsorers, what do you think?

Edited by Warwick

Hypersonic

More likely it's engine mountings then shock absorbers. The rubber in then engine mountings will harden and crack over time, esp being exposed to the engine bay temperature.

Engine mountings are wear and tear items.

Supercharged

Usually engine mounts vibration occurs only when vehicle is stationery.

So I suspect should be other probs

if i dont remember wrongly, i read it somewhere here in one of the thread. Check your screws maybe it could be loose screw, think the thread is about a toyota vios. similiar problem. can check that too.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your imput and suggestions, much appreciated.

After a number of road trips trying to work out what it may be. I have noticed that speed seems to play no part in the vibration it comes in about 2,500 revs, regardless of what gear you are in.

If I put the car in netural and rev it up to 2500 RPMs the vibration is there but it is worse when traveling at speed (still doing only 2500 RPMs).

So at this stage I have ruled out the drive shafts and I am focusing on the engine mounts.

I tried bouncing the car up and down while in netural and standing still with the engine running at 2500RPM and the vibration was there.

So it is now engine mounts or shock asbsorers, what do you think?

it does not matter if its neutral or not, the fact is your drive shaft is still cruising at 80km/h in which the harmonic distortion is felt. I still feel its the drive shaft. The fault may lies with the opposite end of cv joint which goes into the GB.

Neutral Newbie

Hi Fellas,

:D Well I changed the engine mount on the right hand side it fixed the vibration and "Gerty" Getz has never driven better.

No vibration , No noise, all is good.

Thanks for your help and input, it was greatly appreciated. [:)]

Neutral Newbie

hi,

I have exactly the same issue here with my Aug 2005 Getz Car - some questions here:

1) How much would changing the Car Mounting cost? i was quoted bout 400 bucks for everything in, wanna check whether this is a fair deal.

2) How long does the whole process take? 2hours?

thank you!