Would you prefer to bid for COE yourself?

Wind30

Would you prefer to bid for COE yourself and ban dealers from bidding?  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Would you prefer to bid for COE yourself and ban dealers from bidding?

• Yes
    • No

Turbocharged

Simple question.

LTA says

"There was also a strong perception that motor dealers are driving up COE premiums and should be banned from bidding, but some said this would be more inconvenient for buyers.

But others felt this would not help, as long as there is a strong demand for the limited supply of COEs.

Some felt dealers typically commit to car purchase agreements to absorb the additional cost should COE prices move up higher than expected and thus have every incentive to bid low once a purchase agreement is signed.

Some also felt that such a ban could be easily circumvented by buyers who may ask dealers to bid in their name.

A good number of buyers also prefer to have the convenience of dealers bidding for them."

What does MCFers says?? Lets vote and I will feedback this to the LTA session next week.

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement

AD don't like people to bring their own COE..

Unless this is change.. If not bid own COE then cannot get good deal on car oso no use..

1. Remove eligibility for foreigners, PR who are less than 3 years or Single (not registered with singapore ROM) from purchasing personal vehicles.

2. Remove Cat E. Re-cat A, B with OMV and engine capacity.

3. Introduce new leasing scheme. leasing of personal vehicles with existing COE shall not change. Leasing of personal vehicles for newly registered COE are entitled for an additional tax of 100% of car price, and shall not enjoy any form of rebate from LTA. Road tax for such vehicles (both new and old COEs) shall increase to 200% - 300% of current tax rate.

side effect: may create rage among foreigners and PRs. Then again PRs with status more than 3 years i believe our government is always pursuing them to settle down and convert. IF they are not converting, they are not staying. foreigners who are on mid/high level management positions are well covered by company allowance, they wont care much, coz singapore still pays more than their own country.

Turbocharged

AD don't like people to bring their own COE..

Unless this is change.. If not bid own COE then cannot get good deal on car oso no use..

the question is to "bid yourself and BAN Dealers from bidding..."

if you ban dealer from bidding, I am sure they will let your bring your own COE.

1. Remove eligibility for foreigners, PR who are less than 3 years or Single (not registered with singapore ROM) from purchasing personal vehicles.

3. Introduce new leasing scheme. leasing of personal vehicles with existing COE shall not change. Leasing of personal vehicles for newly registered COE are entitled for an additional tax of 100% of car price, and shall not enjoy any form of rebate from LTA. Road tax for such vehicles (both new and old COEs) shall increase to 200% - 300% of current tax rate.

side effect: may create rage among foreigners and PRs. Then again PRs with status more than 3 years i believe our government is always pursuing them to settle down and convert. IF they are not converting, they are not staying. foreigners who are on mid/high level management positions are well covered by company allowance, they wont care much, coz singapore still pays more than their own country.

Singaporean singles?

Turbocharged

errr... this have nothing to do with my thread. Can you don't anyhow post?? Can the mod delete the post? There is already another thread about COE "improvements".

Simple question.

LTA says

"There was also a strong perception that motor dealers are driving up COE premiums and should be banned from bidding, but some said this would be more inconvenient for buyers.

But others felt this would not help, as long as there is a strong demand for the limited supply of COEs.

Some felt dealers typically commit to car purchase agreements to absorb the additional cost should COE prices move up higher than expected and thus have every incentive to bid low once a purchase agreement is signed.

Some also felt that such a ban could be easily circumvented by buyers who may ask dealers to bid in their name.

A good number of buyers also prefer to have the convenience of dealers bidding for them."

What does MCFers says?? Lets vote and I will feedback this to the LTA session next week.

Voted, but I wanted my stance on public record: a resounding "YES!!!" :D

These buyers who said they'd rather leave it to the dealers are really useless. Can't even accomplish a simple task. I wonder what they do when it's time to get their vehicles inspected - do they get their tambis to go and send their cars in? Maybe that's why Singaporeans are so fond of buying new and flipping within 3 years - so they never have to bother with regulatory inspections. [rolleyes]

Edited by Turboflat4

Turbocharged

These buyers who said they'd rather leave it to the dealers are really useless. Can't even accomplish a simple task. I wonder what they do when it's time to get their vehicles inspected - do they get their tambis to go and send their cars in? Maybe that's why Singaporeans are so fond of buying new and flipping within 3 years - so they never have to bother with regulatory inspections. [rolleyes]

i suspect there is no such buyers....

almost everyone i know wants to bid themselves. that is why i dont understand the reasons given by lta.

none of the reason make sense if over 90% of the buyers want to bid for their coe

i suspect there is no such buyers....

almost everyone i know wants to bid themselves. that is why i dont understand the reasons given by lta.

none of the reason make sense if over 90% of the buyers want to bid for their coe

Maybe their "public" consultation session consisted of an audience of pre-selected yes-men. Maybe LTA employees. Sort of like the PM surrounding himself with the MIW and very carefully selected guests during his National Day rally. :D

Neutral Newbie

Hello loser

Seconded!

I am more than willing to bid for my own COE. How difficult can it be?

I suspect buyers who let dealer bid on their behalf are either unable to perform the simple task, or too busy making big bucks that a $100k bid is just peanut to them.... Any other reason?

I voted yes

Twincharged

I think those who say they don't want to bid for own COE are the older generation and know less about cars? All they want is to buy a car that they can drive around.

Have a few of my relative who are like that. They just want a car to get around. They are the kind who will always get the same brand. Either Toyota or Merc. Just walk into the showroom and pick the one they like and let the dealer handle everything else.

You can manipulate the result of any statistic by choosing the "right" population.. The 3400 being surveyed could be tow kay, grass root leaders, YPAP members or even ministers.. I can choose the "right" population to conclude car @200K is very affordable too.

I don't need car dealers to bid COE for me just like I don't need travel agents to apply my passport. [mad]

But what about ppl who are working and have no access or too busy at the last min bidding? Not every car buyer has that kinda time like ppl in MCF.

But what about ppl who are working and have no access or too busy at the last min bidding? Not every car buyer has that kinda time like ppl in MCF.

In this case, a neutral party, maybe AA, can provide the service at a fee? [:)]