Does used cars come under the lemon law ?

Ysc3

does used cars come under the lemon law ?

Yes, and the 2nd hand dealers are now trying to remove it from the lemon law.

• Praise 1

Yes. http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/writeup.php?AID=152

08 Nov 2012 | Text by Akram Saheed, Photos by Julian Kho | Category: Car Buying Advice

Lemon Law was passed in parliament early this year and took effect last month. The law covers second hand cars as well but by how much? You will be surprised.

Page 1 2 3 4 »

152_p1_s_1.jpg

Introduction

Back in February this year, we gave an early introduction about a new consumer law. Known as 'Lemon Law' it was introduced on the first day of September 2012.

The new act was passed in parliament on March 9th 2012 to strengthen consumer protection in Singapore. Already a common tribunal practice in some Western countries, lemon law applies to all goods from fashion apparels to motor vehicles (including consumables and perishables), except rental goods, services and buildings.

152_p1_s_8.jpg
spacer.gif
Lemon Law strengthens upon existing consumer laws and further protects consumers against defective goods

What is lemon law?

Lemon law was imposed to protect consumers against defective goods - for consumers to get their money's worth when purchasing a product.

It strengthens upon the existing Consumer Protection and Hire Purchase Acts and helps consumers to receive a standardised solution when they have unintentionally bought a defective product colloquially known as 'lemons'.

The new lemon law provides a transparent and legal framework for both buyers and sellers when faced with return claims.

Under the law, consumers can report a defective item within a period of six months from delivery. Under a two-stage recourse framework, the retailer has an obligation to prove that the reported defect did not exist at time of delivery.

The two stages of lemon law

The lemon law can be applied in two stages. For the first stage, the consumer can request repair for reported problem or parts replacement within a specified time frame.

The second stage takes effect if the fault is not fixable, the problem persists even after repair or the repair is not satisfactory. In this scenario, you can request for a price reduction - while keeping the product or returning for a full refund.

Who benefits from the new lemon law?

Lemon law benefits consumers whom have unintentionally bought a defective or 'lemon' product including second hand cars, and would like a repair, refund or replacement from the seller.

Mr Teo Ser Luck, Minister of State for Trade and Industry explained that the newly implemented lemon law provides consumers and retailers with more options of recourse for defective goods. He also mentioned the new law will align with international jurisdictions.

Singapore has often been perceived as a shopper's paradise and thus, such a law will assure consumers that products they purchase here are of good quality. This in turn improves the image of the retail industry in Singapore.

152_p1_s_7.jpg
spacer.gif
Lemon Law covers all goods including second-hand cars

• Praise 2

YES, by law it IS covered. Pls know your rights and immediately report to CASE or police or get a lawyer to settle your claim if the car is defective... especially if only a few days after u bought!

Seriously, my fren kenna very cham. And now claiming at CASE and want to sue them. 88 Motor Trading at Selegie. NEVER EVER BUY FROM THEM PLS!

How can a car be claimed undergone 120 point inspection and then after you give them the money (HARD EARNED MONEY, NOT PLUCK FROM TREE OK - UNLESS YOU SUPER RICH, THEN IN WHICH CASE YOU WONT EVEN HAVE TO BUY A END HAND CAR RITE?)... the car completely breaks down n got 1001 things wrong with it??? Doesnt make sense.

N doesn't make sense you bear the burden and cost when you can actually demand your money back under lemon law! So pls dont be afraid to make report agst the car dealer...

Owning a car is a very emotional thing for some ppl. If the dealer makes it a traumatic experience for you, and harass you then you have every right to sue them and get ur money back.

My lawyer fren say wan... [drivingcar]

Bros, whatever you do, pls NEVER NEVER NEVER ever go to 88 MOTOR TRADING. Lemon law??? They will tell you KNN...go fark spider.

NEVER. They will suck your lui until you no more to suck. The cars they sell are all DEFECTIVE under lemon law, but they behave like gangsters once they cheat your money alrdy.

Last month got 2 people kena. My friends!

1 was a SUV defective just the day before collection (cannot start etc, need engine overhaul etc that they made the noob new buyer pay xtra on top of sales price), 1 was broken down the very day after payment+collection. They totally dun care you wan...tell you SIMI LEMON LAW?? CCB..

THEY CLAIM THEIR CARS ALL GO THROUGH A 120-POINT CHECK! Hahahaaaahhaa...KNS! What liars! [shakehead] You don't believe you go see their ads on sgcarmart. Such BS.

Both these incidents I know these GANGSTERS twisted their arm to pay them extra, made threats etc to forfeit the car if never pay extra. They are being sued now by my friend to get the money back. [furious]

88 Motor Trading serisouly cmi. 88 Motor Trading is really terrible, trust me.

MORAL OF THE STORY: NEVER GO TO 88 Motor Trading at Selegie, trust me. You will regret forever.

to be honest. i bought my car from there. quite ok leh.

Ya... Nice one, mods. Suspend my account for telling the truth. Thanks.

Of course can back it up, Want me to show you the relevant court papers, Small Claims Tribunal and CASE documents? My fren already circulating on FB and amongst personal circles. Because we dun want other ppl to go thru the same TRAUMA...

Just sharing so you can go THINK for yourself.

If CASE gets over hundreds of complaints from ppl about THIS PARTICULAR CAR DEALER in one year alone (officer tell you "You're definitely not the first one or the last to lodge complaint abt them")... then YOU THINK YOURSELF LA whether I'm lying or not... So xiao zhang for wad... One day you genna yourself, orbi good...

• Praise 1

what's the profit margin for 2nd car dealer for each 2nd hand car they sell?

unsure about the dealer boss. My friend SE who sold 1 back in 06/07 got $500 as comm.

It was for a 3-4 yr old Maz mpv. Cant recall the model name.

Of course can back it up, Want me to show you the relevant court papers, Small Claims Tribunal and CASE documents? My fren already circulating on FB and amongst personal circles. Because we dun want other ppl to go thru the same TRAUMA...

If CASE gets over hundreds of complaints from ppl about THIS PARTICULAR CAR DEALER in one year alone (officer tell you "You're definitely not the first one or the last to lodge complaint abt them")... then YOU THINK YOURSELF LA whether I'm lying or not... So xiao zhang for wad... One day you genna yourself, orbi good...

I did hear from my ws that at CASE, 2nd hand car dealership are at the top.

It happen during the time when loan curbs were lifted for 60days. I tot of upgrading my Korean 1.4 to a Jap equivalent. He told me dont bother. Just bear with the poor FC, better than get chop.

Then I cited, how bout vicom/sta 120 pt check, lemon law? he just shake his head. Looked at me & said.....fair wear & tear.....

Further, too many tricks to mask problem. Only an exp mech can tell. But amongst that trade, any mech who does that will get reprisals within the industry....beh steady.....spoil market..... so its really hard to get an exp mech to accompany u.

From his experience in doing accident insurance claims, certains problems only show up much later. Could be 2 mths, even 2 yrs. Eg, a hairline crack within engine. Inspector come & take photo & will only allow claim based on photo. No xray or mri scan. When he try to fight for cust, insurance refuse payment. ........true enough......1 yr later...engine issues surface....by 1.5yrs, overhaul/replacement needed.

So for check list.....any leaks & stuff, any lao jiao mech will know how to provide tempory fixes....so using eye power & then sign ur life away on the checklist, will end up just self pawn.

Some PI thread mentioned a few reputable ones , might be expensive relatively but deliver as promise with little issues. I was wondering, would these same PIs have the same ethics when selliing 2nd hand cars?

unsure about the dealer boss. My friend SE who sold 1 back in 06/07 got $500 as comm.

It was for a 3-4 yr old Maz mpv. Cant recall the model name.

I was recently reading a post where 2nd hand dealer make abt $7-8K for a car sold within abt 1 week.

Thread was abt Tempering(Tampering) with odometer.

While there are car dealers who are like that, saying that "ALL" their cars are defective could be construed as a libelous statement. Just be wary of making sweeping statements like those.

I was recently reading a post where 2nd hand dealer make abt $7-8K for a car sold within abt 1 week.

Thread was abt Tempering(Tampering) with odometer.

Boss take 6.5-7.5K, give the SE 500 bucks lor..That's why SE will charge admin fees, whatever they can charge, they keep maybe most of it? Haha.. IDK, not from the industry..

Boss take 6.5-7.5K, give the SE 500 bucks lor..That's why SE will charge admin fees, whatever they can charge, they keep maybe most of it? Haha.. IDK, not from the industry..

Ya I think u got the ratio about right.

Last time I buy my COE corona n after price etc all agreed, the salesguy bring up the "football money".

I tell him I am not going to pay that cos its rubbish. I make a big hoo ha at his office till all the other customers shocked n stare at me. Plus I was with my wife at the time.

Then another lady quietly come to me n say that is the salesman comission so he can earn enough. I was happy with his service though so I thought a bit n then agreed to pay $250 instead of the $500 he was asking. But I did tell him I am not a first time buying car n I did not intend to pay "football money" but I am giving him the $250 as an Ang Pow for his good service only.

End up he was happy n did everything for me swee swee n I was very happy with that car n kept it for almost 10 years.

Last time I buy my COE corona n after price etc all agreed, the salesguy bring up the "football money".

I tell him I am not going to pay that cos its rubbish. I make a big hoo ha at his office till all the other customers shocked n stare at me. Plus I was with my wife at the time.

Then another lady quietly come to me n say that is the salesman comission so he can earn enough. I was happy with his service though so I thought a bit n then agreed to pay $250 instead of the $500 he was asking. But I did tell him I am not a first time buying car n I did not intend to pay "football money" but I am giving him the $250 as an Ang Pow for his good service only.

End up he was happy n did everything for me swee swee n I was very happy with that car n kept it for almost 10 years.

He shud have been more transparent up front n not gave you a "surprise" asking for the 500 only later on.

Sometimes be too nice will backfire. If he gave you good price on the car and gave you good service, $250 sounds decent. I'm against those who think that such kopi money must be included even if their service is shat...

He shud have been more transparent up front n not gave you a "surprise" asking for the 500 only later on.

Ya, this would have been better too..

↡ Advertisement