Can Merchant Ratings in SGCARMART be Trusted?

Ahchuamoto

I remembered writing a bad review for one of the "trusted merchants" in SGCARMART, but was rejected. The administrator wanted me to show more proof.

In that case, for good review, why aren't we require to show more proof?

Although merchants may be awarded "trusted merchants" status based on a long list of good reviews, not all merchants can be consistently good, right?

Seriously need to take all reviews here with a huge huge pinch of salt. :)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I remembered writing a bad review for one of the "trusted merchants" in SGCARMART, but was rejected. The administrator wanted me to show more proof.

Although merchants may be awarded "trusted merchants" status based on a long list of good reviews, not all merchants can be consistently good, right?

SG Carmart revenue comes from merchant's advertisement. They have the responsibility to safe guard their interest, unless otherwise proven.

Confirm must swallow salt. SG carmart is a business. Defn have strong vested interest. Esp,in Sg's pro business environment, wbsl settings. Same applies for local magazines. Though overseas magazines also have vested interest, its not as unbalanced.

Think rating agencies rating the corporates, who hire them in the first place?

I like taobao concept where u rate or comment on a seller and seller is allowed to respond to your comments openly.

If you have proof of your bad experience, just show it to them. It is only fair for the administrator to ask for proof.

Otherwise, you can write your bad review in another forum.

• Praise 3

The sgcarmart reviews is a good guide for me so far. But have to be selective in reading la.

See those that give examples and specific reason as to why the merchant is good or bad.

Those with generic response, can just take with a pinch of salt.

• Praise 3

I personally agrees with brobear.. If you do really had a bad experience be it merchants or anyone , than proof it. Who the hell will know if the allegations is true or untrue .

Likewise , if I experience good service i will also proof it and pen down to compliment them .

• Praise 2

Can share with us more what the admin is asking you to show invoice or tell you just remove the review?

I have experience a similar case. Have written a review on a workshop listed in sgcarmart. Was asked for a invoice via email cos I am a neutral newbie. The reason given was that they need to ensure that I really patronise the workshop and not from other workshop or etc.

Take photo of the invoice and email him. Seems ok leh.

I guess they need to do that especially for the bad review. At least need to ensure it is from a customer and not just slandering or sabotage.

I personally agrees with brobear.. If you do really had a bad experience be it merchants or anyone , than proof it. Who the hell will know if the allegations is true or untrue .

Likewise , if I experience good service i will also proof it and pen down to compliment them .

Well said!

Some times it is unsure whether the allegation is true or untrue.. The customer will rant about the unhappiness and the workshop will have their own explanation.

Personally I feel that if the customer is unhappy. Just tell the workshop manager or towkay. I think he will try to do the "customer service" you or etc. Afterall they know that they are running a business. Most likely will work out something for a return customer or intro friends etc.

Till date , I still trust the merchants in sgcarmart. Those merchants that I have engaged before provided me with good service and good advice.

The Most recent merchant that I have engaged is Kum Chew Motor. They did a fantastic job in respraying my car. I love the current colour of my car. How I managed to get my car resprayed through Kum Chew is with the help of sgcarmart merchants listing and the ratings provided there.

There are many more merchants that provided me with good service. I will only search sgcarmart for any of my cars matters.

you could be another competitor, just saying.

• Praise 1

Think rating agencies rating the corporates, who hire them in the first place?

I like taobao concept where u rate or comment on a seller and seller is allowed to respond to your comments openly.

Tabao concept is different. Only buyer who order via tabao is allow to comment on the seller...

But sgcarmart cannot do likewise so ask for receipt or sales invoice bah.. Haha...Imagine all booking with workshops are to be done via them...

I think sgcamart also have the reply from seller as I saw before at some review pages..

Can share with us more what the admin is asking you to show invoice or tell you just remove the review?

I have experience a similar case. Have written a review on a workshop listed in sgcarmart. Was asked for a invoice via email cos I am a neutral newbie. The reason given was that they need to ensure that I really patronise the workshop and not from other workshop or etc.

Take photo of the invoice and email him. Seems ok leh.

I guess they need to do that especially for the bad review. At least need to ensure it is from a customer and not just slandering or sabotage.

Both misleading 'good' or 'bad' reviews are harmful

End of the day, consumers just need to take everything with lots of salt [grin]

you could be another competitor, just saying.

Wow.. Maybe..competitor can also easily get another seller's invoice. Just patronise them as a normal buyer etc..

I think to be fair to all parties and to ensure true ratings to be reflected, all reviews should be required to be furnished with the same criteria of proof. Like TS mentioned, with the current system where positive reviews need no proof and negative need proof, the ratings will be skewed towards positive regardless due to false reviews and true negative reviewers not bothering to take the trouble. The ratings would in a way be less reliable and less credible --> customers don't trust the ratings.

If sgcarmart can build up a credible system, in the long term it would be beneficial for them as customers trust the reviews and this equates to good business.

• Praise 2

no doubt but Disneyland with a death sentence takes it to an extreme. Oh ya, disclaimer, never swallow lots of salt.

this is because, salt overdosing can be easily lethal. Its the choice of those who don't have the courage to do extreme things to achieve the end.

↡ Advertisement