Question About Exhaust Muffler

QQDreamer

Recently when crank start my car, noticed that the exhaust muffler got knocking sound whenever the aircon is turned on and the compressor is kicked in. After a while more than no more knocking sound from the muffler.

Everything is fine except this knocking sound problem produced during morning cold start and at times after the car is parked for a while and restart will have this sound. When driving also can hear from the muffler there is a "hollow" sound.

Went for a check yesterday, workshop say that the muffler internal material could be damaged during to corrosion hence producing this sound. Asked if it will fail inspection , say will not for the time being but is better to get have the muffler replace else when prolonged the sound will be louder and will not pass inspection subsequently.

Anyone can advice of have such similar experience? Is the muffler able to repair if go to an exhaust shop to do it rather than replacing the whole muffler which would be costly. If repair , will it pass the inspection?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

If you were to Google "inside an exhaust muffler" (images) you will see that there are just partition walls and piping to redirect exhaust gases to "soften" the exhaust noise. Hence the term muffler. The exhaust pipe and mufflers are made out of stainless steel material to prevent corrosion coz exhaust gas also consists of water vapour or steam. So if you tell me the inside of the muffler is corroded that is highly unlikely.

Did you hit a hump or ran over a cone while driving recently? What you can do is to shake the muffler by holding the tips of the exhaust. Do it in the morning before you start the car or make sure it's cold enough to hold. It could be somewhere on the exhaust piping or mountings. Very seldom there's an issue with the muffler as its job is just to muffle the exhaust noises.

I suggest you go to another workshop for a 2nd opinion.

• Praise 1

If you were to Google "inside an exhaust muffler" (images) you will see that there are just partition walls and piping to redirect exhaust gases to "soften" the exhaust noise. Hence the term muffler. The exhaust pipe and mufflers are made out of stainless steel material to prevent corrosion coz exhaust gas also consists of water vapour or steam. So if you tell me the inside of the muffler is corroded that is highly unlikely.

Did you hit a hump or ran over a cone while driving recently? What you can do is to shake the muffler by holding the tips of the exhaust. Do it in the morning before you start the car or make sure it's cold enough to hold. It could be somewhere on the exhaust piping or mountings. Very seldom there's an issue with the muffler as its job is just to muffle the exhaust noises.

I suggest you go to another workshop for a 2nd opinion.

exhaust mountings checked. all ok. No hitting of hump or over a cone while driving. Also initial crank start the car, can hear the first vroom quite different as before. What the workshop meant is that the metal piping inside the muffler, prolong due to water and steam, it corroded and bits of the metal chips corroded off hence leaving inside the muffler box.

I not sure cos never operate the muffler to see what is the condition inside. For exhaust mountings, all are in good conditions. No sign of damaged mountings. Thanks for your advice bro.

Edited by MkMan

Supercharged

Everything is fine except this knocking sound problem produced during morning cold start and at times after the car is parked for a while and restart will have this sound. When driving also can hear from the muffler there is a "hollow" sound.

My exhaust also have this knocking sound now....like some pin drop inside the muffler and keeps hitting around, making a "ting ting ting" continuous sound. It happened suddenly, would not go away. The sound is quite loud. [sweatdrop]

But the car still drives well, no loss in power. But just exhaust very loud only!

Any bros know what is wrong? Where can I replace it now and how much roughly please?

My exhaust also have this knocking sound now....like some pin drop inside the muffler and keeps hitting around, making a "ting ting ting" continuous sound. It happened suddenly, would not go away. The sound is quite loud. [sweatdrop]

But the car still drives well, no loss in power. But just exhaust very loud only!

Any bros know what is wrong? Where can I replace it now and how much roughly please?

Assuming u neber knock the zorst into anything, ur situation could be like post #3.

inside corroded already. bit and pieces over time cause the metal pieces to drop on the muffler body causing the sound. When my exhaust was dismantled, i shake it it is like large pieces of metal is hitting again each other. Conculsion, replace muffler to solve ur problem

Supercharged

inside corroded already. bit and pieces over time cause the metal pieces to drop on the muffler body causing the sound. When my exhaust was dismantled, i shake it it is like large pieces of metal is hitting again each other. Conculsion, replace muffler to solve ur problem

Thanks bro. But what is the damage like, to replace a new muffler?

Supercharged

few hundred perhaps. what car your driving?

A few hundred is how many hundreds leh? $100-$999 also a "few hundred".... [laugh]

Mine is a Proton Savvy.

Problem with exhaust is we must get the stock part to replace, or else risk inspection fail.... [:(]

Edited by TVT

A few hundred is how many hundreds leh? $100-$999 also a "few hundred".... [laugh]

Mine is a Proton Savvy.

Problem with exhaust is we must get the stock part to replace, or else risk inspection fail.... [:(]

for mine is about 450 for my car model. original. i imported in. cos agent no more in sg. for yours you may want to find it in msia? since proton is msia manufactured. Alternatively go back to local proton AD to get the stock part.

Supercharged

for mine is about 450 for my car model. original. i imported in. cos agent no more in sg. for yours you may want to find it in msia? since proton is msia manufactured. Alternatively go back to local proton AD to get the stock part.

OK, thanks.

Btw, is it still safe to drive the car around, while waiting to go WS to replace the stock muffler ? Cos these few days many WS still not open yet.....

OK, thanks.

Btw, is it still safe to drive the car around, while waiting to go WS to replace the stock muffler ? Cos these few days many WS still not open yet.....

it is safe, just that the sound will be very very irritating lor.. for me i cannot stand the sound cos its getting louder and louder. So i get it replace for peace of mind. Also FC will go up if not replace.

↡ Advertisement