Can Singaporean drive Malaysia car in Singapore?

Mystupidger

hi all gurus,

1) would like to know can singaporean drive malaysia car in singapore.

i know most would say NO WAY!

but....according to LTA webbie.. it says singaporean citizen can drive on a certain condition.

something about working in malaysia or something... very vague...

so it means actually its still possible right? just need to know how to apply right?

2) driving a malaysia car in and out is still more worth then driving a singapore car...(assuming can)

buying a malaysian gtr example SGD150K vs the same singapore gtr SGD500K

m car:

no coe, drive until you die

road tax about SGD4K

insurance about SGD3K

in and out daily (22 weekdays per month) SGD5280

assuming no kanna erp SGD0

5280+4000+3000=12280 per year

12280+12500(assuming after 10 years no value)=24780 per year

sg car:

coe, 10 years depreciate about SGD30K a year

road tax about SGD3K

insurance about SGD4K

drive in sg daily: SGD0

assuming no kanna erp SGD0

30000+3000+4000=37000 per year

means you save 12200 per year

lets assuming drive for 20 years

m car

road tax 4k

insurance 3k

in and out daily SGD5280

assuming no erp SGD0

5280+4000+3000 = 12280

sg car

coe 80k depreciate 8k

road tax 4.5k(assuming after 15 years so additional 50pct

insurance 3k(50pct ncd)

assuming no erp SGD0

8000+4500+3000=15500

still save around 3k a mth..

worth?

↡ Advertisement

The answer is CANNOT.

If can...I would have bought a Proton and drive liao.

Why Proton you ask...1st its cheap...2nd...dun bother to repair...just change engine is cheaper...hahahaha

To TS : 边个唔知阿妈係女人

Answer is no, bcos if can, you won see sinkapore registered plate in sinkapore road liao :D

but ultimately, the old rule still apply:

DO WHATEVER YOU WANT BUT DON'T GET CAUGHT !!

• Praise 1

On the vagueness, best u write to LTA. U can bet that even if approve, they will be watching your movement(s) like a hawk. Hence whatever u declare must be 110% accurate.

OPC already have penalties that are brutal when found to have been breached.....so

Answer is no, bcos if can, you won see sinkapore registered plate in sinkapore road liao :D

The last sentence can mean drive like a model best driver ie don't speed, don't hog, don't use bus lanes, don't cross any erp gantrt, etc etc don't let TP or LTA have any reason to stop you when he drives a MY car with a faked plate.

Maybe some people are already doing it?

Btw, overseas friends told me their conclusions after realizing we are paying 3 times or more than they do at home for the same car, paying Ferrari prices for a normal car:-

Either we are very rich, or we are diehard car lovers, or public transport is not up to standard, or just very poor in maths.

Turbocharged

Can. My Singaporean colleague posted to work in KL can drive Msian registered vehicle back to Sgp.

But there is restriction on number of days per year ( cant remember whether its 20 or 30 days ) . FOC .Beyond that, you cant drive in.

When the free days are used up, you cant drive in even if you are willing to pay the entry levy of $20 per day.

Its a different set of rules.

Btw, overseas friends told me their conclusions after realizing we are paying 3 times or more than they do at home for the same car, paying Ferrari prices for a normal car:-

Either

(A) we are very rich, or

(B) we are diehard car lovers, or

© public transport is not up to standard, or

(D) just very poor in maths.

(E) All of the above Edited by Nightkids

lol no choice then... lets talk about being illegal...

1) change to a valid singapore plate (of a different model car) and drive around

2) change to a invalid singapore plate

3) change to a valid singapore plate (of a same model car and colour) and drive around

4) keep it as a malaysian plate and drive around.

5) all of the above... drive cautiously and abide with the rules at all times...

lets see which is the most dangerous to safest....

1 being safest

and

10 being most dangerous.

sorry one more question

actually we are all just guessing that its not possible to drive in with a malaysian car right?

cos there was 1 time there was this guy who drove a malaysian car from singapore to malaysia...

singaporean with a singaporean passport. custom stopped him... and brought him to the office...

after that... let him drive through....can meh? drive through to malaysia not drive thru to u-turn [shakehead]

actually can be done... but according to what i read was... it going to be very troublesome....

troublesome to the extend that the car has to be in jb for at least 6 hours a day... and if you don't have a place there to stay... its going to be even more troublesome isnt it?

All you need is Google, TS.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/driving-in-and-out-of-singapore/west-malaysian-registered-vehicles-and-cars-and-motorcycles.html

logo-lta.gif

WEST MALAYSIAN REGISTERED VEHICLES, CARS & MOTORCYCLES

Before entering Singapore, please ensure that you have:

Ensure that all travellers in your vehicle are carrying valid passports. You must also not bring any prohibited and controlled items into Singapore.

DO I NEED TO PAY ANY TOLL OR VEHICLE ENTRY PERMIT FEES?

Yes. The toll charges is calculated based on the type of vehicle and the checkpoint used. Vehicle Entry Permit fees is calculated based on the type of vehicle, the day and time you enter and leave Singapore.

Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) Fees & Toll Charges
Calculate my VEP Fees & Toll Charges

WHAT DO I DO AT THE CHECKPOINT?

When you drive through the Checkpoint, insert your Autopass Card into the card reader installed at the immigration booths to register your vehicle's entry and exit records

It is an offence if you:

• drive into Singapore without an Autopass Card for your vehicle
  • use an Autopass Card belonging to another foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore
  • did not insert your Autopass Card into the card reader in the immigration booth upon entry and exit
  • use a CashCard/ local CEPAS card to register your entry/exit records or for toll/ VEP payment

WHO IS ALLOWED TO USE AND KEEP A FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLE?

You are not allowed to use or keep any foreign-registered vehicles in Singapore if you are a:

• Singapore Citizen
  • Singapore Permanent Resident (PR)
  • Resident of Singapore
  • Long Term Visit Pass Holder or Dependant Pass Holder
  • Work Pass Holder who is also a resident of Singapore
  • Student Pass Holder
  • Training Employment Pass or Work Holiday Pass

However, any work pass holder, who is not a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

• He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
  • He resides outside Singapore.
  • He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
  • The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
  • The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

Edited by Jellandross

All you need is Google, TS.

http://www.lta.gov.sg/content/ltaweb/en/roads-and-motoring/driving-in-and-out-of-singapore/west-malaysian-registered-vehicles-and-cars-and-motorcycles.html

logo-lta.gif

WEST MALAYSIAN REGISTERED VEHICLES, CARS & MOTORCYCLES

Before entering Singapore, please ensure that you have:

Ensure that all travellers in your vehicle are carrying valid passports. You must also not bring any prohibited and controlled items into Singapore.

DO I NEED TO PAY ANY TOLL OR VEHICLE ENTRY PERMIT FEES?

Yes. The toll charges is calculated based on the type of vehicle and the checkpoint used. Vehicle Entry Permit fees is calculated based on the type of vehicle, the day and time you enter and leave Singapore.

Vehicle Entry Permit (VEP) Fees & Toll Charges

Calculate my VEP Fees & Toll Charges

WHAT DO I DO AT THE CHECKPOINT?

When you drive through the Checkpoint, insert your Autopass Card into the card reader installed at the immigration booths to register your vehicle's entry and exit records

It is an offence if you:

• drive into Singapore without an Autopass Card for your vehicle
  • use an Autopass Card belonging to another foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore
  • did not insert your Autopass Card into the card reader in the immigration booth upon entry and exit
  • use a CashCard/ local CEPAS card to register your entry/exit records or for toll/ VEP payment

WHO IS ALLOWED TO USE AND KEEP A FOREIGN-REGISTERED VEHICLE?

You are not allowed to use or keep any foreign-registered vehicles in Singapore if you are a:

• Singapore Citizen
  • Singapore Permanent Resident (PR)
  • Resident of Singapore
  • Long Term Visit Pass Holder or Dependant Pass Holder
  • Work Pass Holder who is also a resident of Singapore
  • Student Pass Holder
  • Training Employment Pass or Work Holiday Pass

However, any work pass holder, who is not a resident of Singapore, may drive a foreign-registered vehicle in Singapore only if ALL these conditions are met:

• He is the registered owner of the vehicle.
  • He resides outside Singapore.
  • He has a valid insurance certificate and road tax to use the vehicle on Singapore roads.
  • The vehicle is kept or used outside Singapore for a total period of 6 hours or more every day.
  • The vehicle has an Autopass Card to validate its entry/ exit at Woodlands and Tuas Checkpoints and to pay for VEP/ toll charges.

i found this on the LTA webbie as well

1. Singapore citizens, Permanent Residents (regardless of their place of residence), student pass holder, long term social visit pass holder and residents of Singapore cannot drive a Malaysia-registered car in/into Singapore. However, Singaporeans working and residing in Malaysia who need to make home visits to Singapore occasionally are allowed to drive their Malaysia-registered cars into Singapore on a case-by-case basis, subjected to prior approval from LTA (VEP fees will still apply).

A friend of mine had his licence gantong for driving an MY registered car in SG. But one thing for sure....u can do anything....dont get caught. SPR driving an MY registerd car in SY also cannot!

If I'm Malaysia nationality, but is Singapore PR,

can I drive Malaysia registered vehicle in Singapore?

mentioned above Singapore PR are not allow to drive foreign vehicles in Singapore.

Unless you are Employment Pass holder (Not SPR) and not living in Singapore

mentioned above Singapore PR are not allow to drive foreign vehicles in Singapore.

Unless you are Employment Pass holder (Not SPR) and not living in Singapore

Singapore Government indeed very smart,

strictly protect their COE system

alot of my colleagues are Msian, they still maintain the E Pass and live in JB..

earning S$, driving MY car, pumping MY 95RON and living in Nusajaya...

↡ Advertisement