Motor Accident Settlement Negotiation Guide

Eyke

Hi all, digging up old thread due to a recent incident (see spoiler tag).

Was a passenger in a car driven by P-plater friend, A. While parking, he reversed into a stationary car in the adjacent lot. Scrambled to find paper and pen to leave a note, but by the time we had done so the other driver - B - had returned. Thank goodness B was very nice about it and agreed to private settlement with A. At first B offered to send his car to A's trusted workshop to get a quote and compensate accordingly. However, A and myself do not have much knowledge regarding WS so instead it was agreed to send B's car to some WS at AMK Autopoint.

The damage: Some scratches on B's front bumper. B's front bumper slightly dislodged at the corner in front of the left wheel. B's car is prev gen Altis (10-years old that kind)

Amount settled: $380 (repairs) + $100 (loss of income, as B drives PHV)

From the incident I identified a few possible knowledge gaps, especially for new drivers and/or new car owners.

1. How much is a fair amount to compensate? I do not want to offer unnecessarily high, yet do not want to seem like lowballing.

2. No "trusted workshop" to offer

The aim of digging up this thread is hopefully more experienced mcfers can share your past encounters, and newer guys/girls can also ask for opinions.

What do I mean? Those who have been in accident before, what was the damage and what make/model? How much was the final repair (if you were the victim), or how much did you compensate? For those looking for opinions, maybe can post pics of the damage and experienced members can weigh in the estimated cost of repair.

Hope the sharing of this knowledge is beneficial to all. Cheers.  [cool]

Hi all, digging up old thread due to a recent incident (see spoiler tag).

Was a passenger in a car driven by P-plater friend, A. While parking, he reversed into a stationary car in the adjacent lot. Scrambled to find paper and pen to leave a note, but by the time we had done so the other driver - B - had returned. Thank goodness B was very nice about it and agreed to private settlement with A. At first B offered to send his car to A's trusted workshop to get a quote and compensate accordingly. However, A and myself do not have much knowledge regarding WS so instead it was agreed to send B's car to some WS at AMK Autopoint.

The damage: Some scratches on B's front bumper. B's front bumper slightly dislodged at the corner in front of the left wheel. B's car is prev gen Altis (10-years old that kind)

Amount settled: $380 (repairs) + $100 (loss of income, as B drives PHV)

From the incident I identified a few possible knowledge gaps, especially for new drivers and/or new car owners.

1. How much is a fair amount to compensate? I do not want to offer unnecessarily high, yet do not want to seem like lowballing.

2. No "trusted workshop" to offer

The aim of digging up this thread is hopefully more experienced mcfers can share your past encounters, and newer guys/girls can also ask for opinions.

What do I mean? Those who have been in accident before, what was the damage and what make/model? How much was the final repair (if you were the victim), or how much did you compensate? For those looking for opinions, maybe can post pics of the damage and experienced members can weigh in the estimated cost of repair.

Hope the sharing of this knowledge is beneficial to all. Cheers.  [cool]

Nothing is fair. Everything increase in price... food, water, labour, spare parts, rental... same goes for repair cost.

Workshop A vs Workshop B prices will differ.

The benchmark is your excess - if the quote is way higher than your own excess, then leave to insurance to settle (instead of private settlement).

In your case, you are very lucky it was settled for below $500 in total

Edited by Sci10213
  • Praise 1

Good logical advice! That never crossed my mind before.

The benchmark is your excess - if the quote is way higher than your own excess, then leave to insurance to settle (instead of private settlement).

Mine just happened.

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2684724-audi-a6-avant-1087m-whats-the-catch/?p=6607084

The fellow tried to settle with me for $200-300. I rejected and would be claiming his insurance. Case still ongoing, not sure the final amount.

But please be reasonable if you want to go with private settlement. With my kind of damage, your offer is an insult.

Nothing is fair. Everything increase in price... food, water, labour, spare parts, rental... same goes for repair cost.

Workshop A vs Workshop B prices will differ.

In your case, you are very lucky it was settled for below $500 in total

Excess varies ........... mine is zero
  • Praise 1

Mine just happened.

https://www.mycarforum.com/topic/2684724-audi-a6-avant-1087m-whats-the-catch/?p=6607084

The fellow tried to settle with me for $200-300. I rejected and would be claiming his insurance. Case still ongoing, not sure the final amount.

But please be reasonable if you want to go with private settlement. With my kind of damage, your offer is an insult.

This kind of damages at least $1,000.

Mine just happened.

LOL, 200-300 wanna private settle?

Did he even see that headlight cover cracked? Headlight is F expensive shit. 

Claim him la, his company kena not him, anyway u can try to speak to his company, bcos fleet insurance 1 kena all increase so maybe he will pay for your damages. But if u proceeded with claims then no reverse already

Read about it from other threads, really heart pain sia. Out of curiosity, would there be an amount that you would have accepted private settlement?

Mine just happened.

Read about it from other threads, really heart pain sia. Out of curiosity, would there be an amount that you would have accepted private settlement?

At least $10k then can private settlement.

Mine just happened.

2-3k also not enough......

For me, my main consideration to accept or offer Private Settlement is about costing.

And to decide I must be sure it's Whose Fault, is gonna 100% or 50%.

If it's purely my fault, I will offer him/her to come to my regular workshop to assessment. If 50/50, I will see how bad is my damage and aak myself will the total repair cost be > my excess + loss of NCD?

If more, claim insurance, if lesser, private settlement/own pocket.

Alot of ppl got too emotional and traumatized after accident and made unsound decision. Accident had already happened. Just calm down and think how to resolve it to your benefit.

At least $10k then can private settlement.

That means no chance. the number has to be between the cost of repairs and the cost of increased premiums for the truck company.

Will it really take  close to10k for the repairs (non inflated sum)?

Neutral Newbie

Hi, can i kindly hear some views? Thank you in advance

Any experience of car under warranty and send to outside for accident repair? Whats the pro and cons? My concern is not maximising claims...i just dun wan to be inconvinenced..outside seems to fit my objective but at the same time, i also dun wan to get bogged down with all the dispute over warranty...not at fault , hit from behind ( with video) the other party also said he didnt see. A few hours later, a workshop to call me to private settle. Car already at AD since AD sent tow truck

AD no courtesy car, outside workshop courtesy car from day 1. AD must wait for admission of liabilty them can start courtesy car . Outside collect car back before CNY. AD...no firm date...must wait for admission of liabilty before start work

Edited by kk2017
↡ Advertisement