Mazda Mx-5 Miata Reliability

Aerosmith

Deciding to get either a mx-5 or an eg6 for fun driving, occasional thrashing around and maybe rare tracking in malayasia.

saw a red NA mx-5 on sgcarmart and went down for a look. it has some rust on the hood and some oil leaks in the engine bay.

i know the reliability of this car is legendary especially in USA. but is the cost of repairs and maintenance low in singapore context?

also, assuming the NA is going for about $7k depreciation while the NC is going for $10k depreciation and finally the MRS is also around $10k depreciation, which is actually a better buy in terms of yearly maintenance costs?

thanks for all input.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

Depends on the last owner,if he or she,take care of the car,Japanese cars are not problematic,if the last owner is used to race in track,then good luck to you.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

nb oso not too bad. the nc i had was bullet proof. loved the car

Agree with this. It is bullet proof. TS can consider a RHT NC rather than the MRS which is only soft-top.

• Praise 1

(edited)

u nnb la!

1287872438156247.jpeg

Edited by Mockngbrd

u nnb la!

1287872438156247.jpeg

Not far.. My initials NND... Unless I chsnge surname to Bird

Then NNB ..... Haha

The caltex petrol station at serangoon garden, I see a lot of mx5 there, they should have experience in repair.

That's all I can contribute here.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

The caltex petrol station at serangoon garden, I see a lot of mx5 there, they should have experience in repair.

That's all I can contribute here.

Look ah boy, he's the boss. So far no bad experience with him.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

It's really pretty bullet proof like what was being mentioned by rad x,except for normal wear and tear items.personally driving a nc the only complaint is that the aircon can be colder.however having said that,it's a mazda and not a Toyota or Honda which has really fantastic air conditioning system.na handling according to hear say seems to be the best among the three models however it's only 120bhp stock.mrs has very little or no boot space at all that's why is a no no.mx5 is a no brainer really,buy it and u will have loads of fun driving it!

• Praise 1

so far every one say the NC is good. NB got none in the market. What about the NA? is it as reliable as NC assuming previous owner did not track.

Turbocharged

I thought you flipped and crashed the car? [laugh]

Deciding to get either a mx-5 or an eg6 for fun driving, occasional thrashing around and maybe rare tracking in malayasia.

saw a red NA mx-5 on sgcarmart and went down for a look. it has some rust on the hood and some oil leaks in the engine bay.

i know the reliability of this car is legendary especially in USA. but is the cost of repairs and maintenance low in singapore context?

also, assuming the NA is going for about $7k depreciation while the NC is going for $10k depreciation and finally the MRS is also around $10k depreciation, which is actually a better buy in terms of yearly maintenance costs?

thanks for all input.

A stock daily driven Miata (or mildly modded) is as reliable as any other passenger cars. The NB is closer to the NA than the NC to the NA/NB. The engine, gearbox (manual), clutch can seriously take some beatings for frequently spirited driving as well. Ok, I'll just briefly list some quirks for the NB:

1. Higher temp under the bonnet so the usual Camshaft or Crank Angle sensor will get a bit problematic.

2. It also eats the spark plugs faster so just change those on a regular basis (I like the NGK Iridium and the Bosch Fusion is good as well). 3. The valve cover gasket also wears off pretty fast if not install properly.

4. Soft top will be an issue if it's not well taken care of or park constantly under the sun. The rubber paddings around the windows/doors will deteriorate over time so there could be leaks during heavy downpours. Drain holes might be choked if not cleared for a long time as dirt or dead leaves accumulate in the drainage.

5. Other than that, it's just the normal wear and tear (oils, fluids, suspension, belt, water pump, brake pads, rotors...etc) similar to any B&B car.

For servicing stock NA/NBs, Garage Hypermax (Caltex Lorong Chuan) is the place to go to. As mentioned by some bros here, Ah Boy will sort you out.

For enhancement of the NA/NB you can check out Applied Performance and look for Jester.

For anything NC, Mark Ong of Competition Tyres (Caltex Beach Road) is the guy.

If you are (trashing?) tracking it, reliability depends on how heavy the mods are and how hard you drive it! AND a roll over bar is DEFINITELY necessary.

I know of two individuals who died in separate car crash driving the current model MX-5. One is the infamous Mazda sales girl other one is a guy who crashed in M'sia after losing control of the car in a bend.

Which makes me think this sporty car has its limitations.

(edited)

I know of two individuals who died in separate car crash driving the current model MX-5. One is the infamous Mazda sales girl other one is a guy who crashed in M'sia after losing control of the car in a bend.

Which makes me think this sporty car has its limitations.

Bro, Paul Walker died in a Porsche Carrera GT. VW Golf GTI wack tree can also die. Can even die in a tank if it crashes in ROC. So, regardless of the vehicle, if you are in the right place and at the right time God wants you...you need to go.

Just that the Miata is an open top roadster, the risk is higher.

Edited by Naimed

Bro, Paul Walker died in a Porsche Carrera GT. VW Golf GTI wack tree can also die. Can even die in a tank if it crashes in ROC. So, regardless of the vehicle, if you are in the right place and at the right time God wants you...you need to go.

Just that the Miata is an open top roadster, the risk is higher.

The Porsche Carrera GT is already known as the widow maker.

Was it a GTi or Golf R?

Some cars are known to be like that. Just got to take note and not push it to its limits.

The Porsche Carrera GT is already known as the widow maker.

Was it a GTi or Golf R?

Some cars are known to be like that. Just got to take note and not push it to its limits.

Fully agree with your last two sentences.

↡ Advertisement