Why do people buy SUVs, not wagons in Singapore?

Super7

Turbocharged
(edited)

SUV and wagon both have extra 'cargo' space but a SUV is heavy and less stable (due to higher centre of gravity), less fuel economical, etc than a wagon. A SUV doesnt really drive like a sedan while a wagon does, more or less. Try going fast through corners and you can feel the difference in handling.

In Singapore most SUV users seldom go off road so the so-called off-road ability is hardly needed.

But we see much more SUVs than wagons everyday.

Not all SUVs on the road are 7 seater, so the extra passenger seats shouldnt be the key reason for the owners.

Edited by Super7
↡ Advertisement

Wagons are like extended hatchback or sedan with boot chopped off and grafted with extra sheet metal. Driving position is the same. Whereas, SUVs, you sit high up, very popular with ladies and hooligans.

SUV and wagon both have extra 'cargo' space but a SUV is heavy and less stable (due to higher centre of gravity), less fuel economical, etc than a wagon. A SUV doesnt really drive like a sedan while a wagon does, more or less. Try going fast through corners and you can feel the difference in handling.

In Singapore most SUV users seldom go off road so the so-called off-road ability is hardly needed.

Not all SUVs on the road are 7 seater, so the extra passenger seats shouldnt be the key reason for the owners.

Supercharged

I mentioned this somewhere before.... that a wagon (may be) gives xmm an impression the driver is a family man, that means married. Whereas the SUV doesn't.

So hor...... You know lah. ^_^

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I mentioned this somewhere before.... that a wagon (may be) gives xmm an impression the driver is a family man, that means married. Whereas the SUV doesn't.

So hor...... You know lah. ^_^

LOL, many family men driving SUVs will not agree with what you said. In my estate, i can tell 80% of SUV drivers are family men leh! [grin]

Turbocharged

Wagons are like extended hatchback or sedan with boot chopped off and grafted with extra sheet metal. Driving position is the same. Whereas, SUVs, you sit high up, very popular with ladies and hooligans.

Ladies drive SUV to use it's height / bulk to avoid being bullied. Hooligans use the same to bully others??!! [sweatdrop]

SUVs are mostly jacked up hatchbacks. Becoz it's visually bigger ppl like it due to they are driving a "bigger" car. But interior dimension wise it might not be big. Most ppl who owns them think they are driving a bigger car, more steady mah. LoL...

Supercharged

LOL, many family men driving SUVs will not agree with what you said. In my estate, i can tell 80% of SUV drivers are family men leh! [grin]

Yah, but the xmm doesn't know mah.

To her, usually those driving wagons are married..... [laugh]

Turbocharged

Asian mentality. Wagon = Hearse. Pantang. Also panel van last time also like wagon. So in general, wagons are not appealing to the 'old' mindset.

SUV, wagon and MPV are all hatchback cars, with better boot access.

There are more SUV models than wagon models available here. In tiny Singapore, people don't drive long distance for holidays, hence there is lesser need for bigger boot.

I am a hatchback lover. Looking forward to Mazda 6 wagon which AD said will be launched this month.

• Praise 1

(edited)

All round visibility, probably better ride comfort, higher ride height compared to the other vehicles (might be a false sense of security) and the ease of entry and exiting is the main selling point for most of the buyers I guess.

I like wagons but if i'm fetching my parents around, they will prefer something else like a Pajero or some sort instead of a sedan/hatch/wagon

Edited by Holdenutessv

Yah, but the xmm doesn't know mah.

To her, usually those driving wagons are married..... [laugh]

no lah, .......xmm in SG not interested if you married or not lah, only if you are game enough or not [;)]

......they just see suv drivers as can play play and wagon drivers as don't play play hor. [laugh][laugh]

Turbocharged

1) Maybe their hobby is off roading in bolehland during weekends

2)Can sit high up with better view of road

3)SUVs are big - not easily bullied

4)Kuku drivers who always hit kerbs wont get the bumper or rims scratched

5)Make out in dark carparks others cannot peep in

6) Lastly , can do this :

• Praise 5

I have the same question as you

maybe more and more reckless drivers on the road, ppl scare to die, thinking SUV can protect them, especially female drivers [:p] you can see a lot housewife driving "SUVs" pick/drop kids school,

actually if glance over current SUV market, how many is real SUV? put aside those FDW "SUVs", even if those declare itself "AWD" SUVs, is it really got off-road capability?

so far only Subaru Symmetrical and Audi Quattro and very few others still keep the spirit of AWD,

FWD completely distory the the spirit of SUV, even if XC60 also only FWD

1) Maybe their hobby is off roading in bolehland during weekends

2)Can sit high up with better view of road

3)SUVs are big - not easily bullied

4)Kuku drivers who always hit kerbs wont get the bumper or rims scratched

5)Make out in dark carparks others cannot peep in

6) Lastly , can do this :

wah, what brand this SUV is? so good pick up speed, I want to buy :D

which country?

↡ Advertisement