AD08 & RE-11

Ken4555

Hi all,

All tyre reviews are subjective... Your hard could be my soft. Your noisy could be ok for me... Whatever it is, I guess there will be mixed opinions on any tyre. However I am sure the majority of opinions could be right to a certain extend.

BTW I drive a FF car.

I am looking at my next set of Max/Extreme performance tyres. (16" rims) Having just tried the Kumho XS KU36, I feel they are great. I went up Genting with them 3times and they felt very solid even at 140km/h in the rain on the NSH. Stiffer side walls than any tyre I have tried before (I only tried UHP tyres before my kumho's) I run them on 38-40psi front and 1psi less rear. There are 215/45/16.
I know this year there is a new kumho V720 tyre probably to take over the ku36s, but only available in 15" in Singapore as of now. So no kumho this round.

Dunlop starspec maybe? Well the shop I went to only had 205/55/16. My ride height does not permit this size. I don't think anyone in Singapore will carry the size I want. So no Dunlops this round.

Now I wanna try the AD08. Maybe ard $30 more per tyre vs the ku36. I can only get it in 205/45/16. So I was thinking maybe I should get the 205/50/16 instead. Well lucky me the shop only has 2 piece of AD08 (no AD08r) arghhhh. Should I go for the 45profile? Hmmmmm...

Now the RE-11s have this size I want 205/50/16. But I heard that the bridgestone extreme performance tyres are bigger and wider for their size. I wonder if I will my ride height will allow the RE-11s. At about $100 more per tyre then the kumho's, I don't wanna fit them if I have to raise my ride height. Don't know if I should risk trying to fit them.

Well, I am now down to 4 choices. Which choice should I try?

1) buy re-11s 205/50/16 ($250/pc authorized dealer but risk having to rise my ride height)

2) buy re-11s 205/45/16 ($280/pc from authorized dealer or $260/pc PI stock) am confident will fit nicely.

3) buy AD08 205/45/16 ($180/pc) but down side I am sure AD08 has higher chances of aquaplaning.

4) well funny thought, this tyre shop had 2pc of AD08 205/50/16 AND 2pc of RE-11s 205/50/16... Now my first thought was siao ah... But they suggested and gave me a nice discount. DOM for the Yokohamas are in 2012. Should I even bother to consider this set up? Lol

Inputs of your thoughts and comments are much appreciated, even if you have not used any of these tyres. Your thoughts from your perceptions of these tyre are also welcome.

Hope your weekends great!!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hi all,

All tyre reviews are subjective... Your hard could be my soft. Your noisy could be ok for me... Whatever it is, I guess there will be mixed opinions on any tyre. However I am sure the majority of opinions could be right to a certain extend.

BTW I drive a FF car.

I am looking at my next set of Max/Extreme performance tyres. (16" rims) Having just tried the Kumho XS KU36, I feel they are great. I went up Genting with them 3times and they felt very solid even at 140km/h in the rain on the NSH. Stiffer side walls than any tyre I have tried before (I only tried UHP tyres before my kumho's) I run them on 38-40psi front and 1psi less rear. There are 215/45/16.

I know this year there is a new kumho V720 tyre probably to take over the ku36s, but only available in 15" in Singapore as of now. So no kumho this round.

Dunlop starspec maybe? Well the shop I went to only had 205/55/16. My ride height does not permit this size. I don't think anyone in Singapore will carry the size I want. So no Dunlops this round.

Now I wanna try the AD08. Maybe ard $30 more per tyre vs the ku36. I can only get it in 205/45/16. So I was thinking maybe I should get the 205/50/16 instead. Well lucky me the shop only has 2 piece of AD08 (no AD08r) arghhhh. Should I go for the 45profile? Hmmmmm...

Now the RE-11s have this size I want 205/50/16. But I heard that the bridgestone extreme performance tyres are bigger and wider for their size. I wonder if I will my ride height will allow the RE-11s. At about $100 more per tyre then the kumho's, I don't wanna fit them if I have to raise my ride height. Don't know if I should risk trying to fit them.

Well, I am now down to 4 choices. Which choice should I try?

1) buy re-11s 205/50/16 ($250/pc authorized dealer but risk having to rise my ride height)

2) buy re-11s 205/45/16 ($280/pc from authorized dealer or $260/pc PI stock) am confident will fit nicely.

3) buy AD08 205/45/16 ($180/pc) but down side I am sure AD08 has higher chances of aquaplaning.

4) well funny thought, this tyre shop had 2pc of AD08 205/50/16 AND 2pc of RE-11s 205/50/16... Now my first thought was siao ah... But they suggested and gave me a nice discount. DOM for the Yokohamas are in 2012. Should I even bother to consider this set up? Lol

Inputs of your thoughts and comments are much appreciated, even if you have not used any of these tyres. Your thoughts from your perceptions of these tyre are also welcome.

Hope your weekends great!!!

firstly, DOM in 2012 is no no for me.

go with re-11s 50 or 45 either way

firstly, DOM in 2012 is no no for me.

go with re-11s 50 or 45 either way

Thanks for your reply.

But why is 2012 a no no for you? Always thought a tyre should still be ok ard 3 yrs of shelf life.

Is it because you feel that driving on highway speeds on the NSH probably isn't such a good idea for tyres close to 3yrs old.

• Praise 1

Thanks for your reply.

But why is 2012 a no no for you? Always thought a tyre should still be ok ard 3 yrs of shelf life.

Is it because you feel that driving on highway speeds on the NSH probably isn't such a good idea for tyres close to 3yrs old.

If you mileage is high per year DOM 2012 will be fine, you will run the tyre thin before its shelf life.

I install 3 year old tyre before and run 50k into the 4th year of the tyre, runs perfect with good grip in wet and dry, no cracks on wall and still maintain its softness throughout.

Turbocharged

Thanks for your reply.

i always prefer fresh tires as my mileage is low. Unless the savings is substantial, else no point getting old tires

Neutral Newbie

RE-11S @ 205/50/16 for $250 is good price.

I got mine for $265 each and is RE11 without the "S".

Previously on AD08 and RE11 performs better in wet.

Both tyres are generally broader is you take another model of 205 profile to compare but no they are not thicker and will not change your ride height.

AD08 sterring response is phenomenal but I feel RE11 sidewalls are a tad harder.

Noth have the same threadwear but my AD08 became extremely noisy after some wear.. Overall, anytime both tyres works for me and to my liking. Z1 star spec has a new Z2 when I last checked but not available in SG, not sure if available now. However they are priced almost the same with the Bridgestones when they are marginally lower overseas so I passed with them

Turbocharged

RE11 has better wet road performance than AD08 according to reviews. I tried AD08 once and the dry grip was fantastic! I don't have experience in RE11 yet.

Thanks for your replies.

I think one look at the tread design and one can tell that the RE-11 will be probably be better in the wet. Having long drives up north I guess RE-11s would be a better choice then the AD08s. But not that I drive like a mad man in the wet of course.

However I have also read that the AD08 has improved in wet traction over the AD07. And the AD08s being priced at over $200 less per set of four then the RE-11s... I am still considering, since I have not tried both.

Hmmm... My impressions so far are that the Yokohamas will be better in the dry, and stiffer side walls as most reviews I read state the AD08s having the better steering response. Less noise n better wet for the Re-11s, but at a higher cost.

Hmmmmm....

• Praise 1

I have not tried AD08 but I am currently on RE11A for 1000 km. This tyre is much more quiet than my previous set of Pilot Super Sports but slightly more hard. The tyre pattern looks aggresive and it does not tray as many small stones in the thread. Dry grip is superb. Didnt really push it hard in the wet. The best tyre I have tried so far.

(edited)

just my own personal knowledge

bs RE11 / yokohama AD08 both are for track and street legal tyre (when 1 tyre can be used for track is generally

pro to DRY condition) and why street legal because it allow for light wet road condition

trust me don't try this 2 tyres at high speed when heavy pour .

RE11S to me looks more like semi slick tyre and illegal on street(because must be very poor for wet )

just how you know which tyre is from PI or authorized ?

also if you used other type of tyre and size changed I will said the comparison is not apple to apple

to be fair it has to be on same size and same league too

Edited by Roberttan

140kmh in the rain on NSH isn't mad enough?

no

check tire rack prices? maybe the price isnt too far from buying locally if you ship it in?

rather buy locally. lower risk. tubeless valves replacment, balancing issues etc.

I have not tried AD08 but I am currently on RE11A for 1000 km. This tyre is much more quiet than my previous set of Pilot Super Sports but slightly more hard. The tyre pattern looks aggresive and it does not tray as many small stones in the thread. Dry grip is superb. Didnt really push it hard in the wet. The best tyre I have tried so far.

i always felt any tyre will be quiet for the 1st couple off thousand kms.. i mean comparing with your previous set of worn tyres...

• Praise 2

just my own personal knowledge

bs RE11 / yokohama AD08 both are for track and street legal tyre (when 1 tyre can be used for track is generally

pro to DRY condition) and why street legal because it allow for light wet road condition

trust me don't try this 2 tyres at high speed when heavy pour .

RE11S to me looks more like semi slick tyre and illegal on street(because must be very poor for wet )

just how you know which tyre is from PI or authorized ?

also if you used other type of tyre and size changed I will said the comparison is not apple to apple

to be fair it has to be on same size and same league too

the AD08s are directional tyres and look more 'race-like' then the Re-11s. my feel.

i guess 'high-speed' is subjective to everyone. if a driver drives to the limit of the tyre in the wet, then its the driver who needs help and not the tyres.

there is an authorised Bridgestone dealer in SG. anywhere else i would guess is PI with the tyre made for a different climate. but then again i am no tyre expert, if the authorised dealer sold me PI stock i wouldnt know. but at least i would get some form of warranty from an authourised dealer bah.

215/45/16 Kumho XS, i would believe is in the same league as R-11s & AD08s 205/45-50/16

(edited)

the AD08s are directional tyres and look more 'race-like' then the Re-11s. my feel.

i guess 'high-speed' is subjective to everyone. if a driver drives to the limit of the tyre in the wet, then its the driver who needs help and not the tyres.

there is an authorised Bridgestone dealer in SG. anywhere else i would guess is PI with the tyre made for a different climate. but then again i am no tyre expert, if the authorised dealer sold me PI stock i wouldnt know. but at least i would get some form of warranty from an authourised dealer bah.

215/45/16 Kumho XS, i would believe is in the same league as R-11s & AD08s 205/45-50/16

my personal high speed for WET is referring to above 100KM/h

again your kumho is size 215/45/16 against the other 205/45/16 and 205/50/16 (to me this is not a fair compare)

I do agreed 1 wont know what tyre you bought is agent or PI from any establishment.

only thing for sure at least the shop does put it clear before sales and official warranty is offered.

some might said aya so long cheap can oredi who care.

ONLY party 100% is you buy from the Official local distributor or request for official dealer and quote the dealer you are refer by his Official Agent.

Even you buy from any Official CAR agent you may not 100% agent stock , because CAR agent also the tyre to you from 3 party tyre vendor.

ONLY advantage is if you are in any doubt can always go back to CAR agent squeeze them for reasonable explanation

my personal POV you pay what you get .

Edited by Roberttan

my personal high speed for WET is referring to above 100KM/h

again your kumho is size 215/45/16 against the other 205/45/16 and 205/50/16 (to me this is not a fair compare)

I do agreed 1 wont know what tyre you bought is agent or PI from any establishment.

only thing for sure at least the shop does put it clear before sales and official warranty is offered.

some might said aya so long cheap can oredi who care.

ONLY party 100% is you buy from the Official local distributor or request for official dealer and quote the dealer you are refer by his Official Agent.

Even you buy from any Official CAR agent you may not 100% agent stock , because CAR agent also the tyre to you from 3 party tyre vendor.

ONLY advantage is if you are in any doubt can always go back to CAR agent squeeze them for reasonable explanation

my personal POV you pay what you get .

Driving fast safe slow dangerous etc is very subjective so let's not go there.

Cause from my understanding and from users of extreme performance tyres, bridgestone n Yokohamas are border then their actual size. Not sure about kumho so I was assuming that re-11s n AD08s 205 could be ku36s 215. Just a guess, and although I don't believe +- 5-10mm will be any difference IN THEIR DIFFERENCE, my fenders have be rolled and my ride heights adjusted so many times already, I just wanna double confirm so as to avoid any unnecessary extra suspension adjustments.

Nowadays so many dishonest people doing business. Who knows exactly what we are really buying lol.

• Praise 1

Driving fast safe slow dangerous etc is very subjective so let's not go there.

Cause from my understanding and from users of extreme performance tyres, bridgestone n Yokohamas are border then their actual size. Not sure about kumho so I was assuming that re-11s n AD08s 205 could be ku36s 215. Just a guess, and although I don't believe +- 5-10mm will be any difference IN THEIR DIFFERENCE, my fenders have be rolled and my ride heights adjusted so many times already, I just wanna double confirm so as to avoid any unnecessary extra suspension adjustments.

Nowadays so many dishonest people doing business. Who knows exactly what we are really buying lol.

please dont said until like that , running business is to make profit (how much is reasonable also subjective)

How to define dishonest people? higher price is dishonest? cheaper price is Honest?

btw the 3 rubber i my liking is re11 - ad08

please dont said until like that , running business is to make profit (how much is reasonable also subjective)

How to define dishonest people? higher price is dishonest? cheaper price is Honest?

btw the 3 rubber i my liking is re11 - ad08

I read your last sentence a few times but am still unsuccessful in understanding what you mean. Lol

Dishonest as in selling lower grade stuff trying to pass of as the original to less than knowledgeable customers.

Anyways back to the tyres. So you think and prefer re-11s. Why ah?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1