Position of Child Seats

Icebird

Hi

Need some advice from bros...

I have a kid about 2 years old and another one coming soon. Thinking of buying a new car, preferably an SUV. What I would like to know how to place the child seats (one front facing and one rear facing), bearing in mind the car needs to seat 3 more adults (me, my wife and maid)?

If I prefer not to place any child seat in the front passenger or the third row seats, it seems like my only choice is to place them on the second row seats but that would pretty much take up the second row middle seat too. The maid will have to go to third row, which is fine. But would I have to then to remove the child seat at the entry point everytime I need to fold the second row car seat to let her in and out??

How do the rest of you do it?

↡ Advertisement

Hi

I have a kid about 2 years old and another one coming soon. Thinking of buying a new car, preferably an SUV. What I would like to know how to place the child seats (one front facing and one rear facing), bearing in mind the car needs to seat 3 more adults (me, my wife and maid)?

If I prefer not to place any child seat in the front passenger or the third row seats, it seems like my only choice is to place them on the second row seats but that would pretty much take up the second row middle seat too. The maid will have to go to third row, which is fine. But would I have to then to remove the child seat at the entry point everytime I need to fold the second row car seat to let her in and out??

The 2 year old one tall enough to use booster seat?

Edited by Nzy

I think you mean MPV which often comes is more than 5 seater than an SUV (Sports Utility Vehicle) which although may come in more than 5 seater seldom does.

IMO, having a child seat in the front may not only be more dangerous than rear seats but also inconvenient since it would appear awkward when you are moving around with only another passenger in the absence of a child in the vehicle. Also, having a 2nd seat in the 3rd row may well be more practical although having both in the 2nd row may well be a good idea too for greater safety.

Just my 2 cents worth ;)

Hi

Hi

u are getting a car with 3 rows or 2 rows?

A 2 years old should be able to place in the front pax provided the airbag can be turn off.

If you place 2 childseats in the middle without any adult, what if one of them cry or need some attention?

Edix seems to be the best car with 3+3 seating arrangement for such cases however no longer for sale in the brand new market.

i faced a similar "problem" as you. Bought a MPV, solved [;)]

elder son went into front seat (my car got no front passenger airbags). So when both of them big enough for booster, then change back to sedan or any 5 seater

You must sacrifice something lah. You this dun want, that dun want, like that how ???

ANswer -->> Honda Edix [:p]

Edited by Othello

2 year old smallish in size. Can't use booster yet.

I prefer a SUV over an MPV is possible. Do you think an SUV would not work?

If I have to put the child seat in the third row, I think I will have a problem getting the child in since the gap at the entry point is usually very narrow. Then no choice, MPV liao...

Sigh ...

2 year old smallish in size. Can't use booster yet.

I prefer a SUV over an MPV is possible. Do you think an SUV would not work?

If I have to put the child seat in the third row, I think I will have a problem getting the child in since the gap at the entry point is usually very narrow. Then no choice, MPV liao...

Sigh ...

Assuming you are getting your SUV (I'm going to assume 3 row SUV i.e. XC90) when your baby is born, you have a few combinations:

1) Lower the middle first, setup your 2 year old kid in the rear, then raise the middle seats. Setup your maid and baby in the second row. Lower the middle row "centre seat". Wife in the front empress seat.

2) Lower the middle first, setup your 2 year old kid and maid in the rear, the raise the middle seat. Your wife and baby in the second row. Empress seat is move all the way up.

3) Maid in the rear. Both kids in the middle, lower the middle row "centre seat" so your maid can access the kids. Put your wife in the empress seat.

Frankly I'd do 2) but I think most Singaporeans will do 1). YMMV. [:)]

If really all cannot, buy an Alphard [laugh]

Edited by Mason016

I have a 3+yo and a 1+yo. I drive a 5+2 MPV. Total got my mom, wife and myself as adults.

The 3+yo is around 16kg so can use booster seat that comes with backing and headrest. I bought one which is compact enough so that there's more space for an adult to seat in between and easy to get in and out. 1+yo toddler on infant seat that can seat from infant to 4yo. I think when my kid reach 2yo got to change to a larger or booster seat.

There are booster seats for 15kg to 30+kg. Weight seems to be the consideration when choosing one. Mine come with the backing can be removed when my kid grows older. RIght now I feel it's better with the backing and headrest. Infant seat is slightly reclined and cannot be totally seated upright. I think to protect their fragile necks. When infant I had it facing rear until 1.5yo or heavy enough I switch to front facing but all sit in the 2nd row.

My second row folds 60/40 the infant seat is sitted at the 40 and booster on the 60 coz booster seat is easier to remove to access the 3rd row of seats. But I hardly use 3rd row of seats. Infant seat is cumbersome even for those with isofix.

I got all my child/infant seats, pram & buggy from baby hyperstore at Kaki Bukit.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

Put 2 child seats behind the driver's seat ... Maid can sit center cos SUV has no propeller shaft tunnel ... So the floor is flat ... So easy ... Don't even need third row ...

Unless your Maid is XXL like King Kong Bundi or Your SUV is the small type then different story ...

• Praise 1

Hi

I drive a small jap car, my 2 baby car seat are place behind. Wife will just squeeze in from the front facing car seat side and sit in the middle to take care of the small one.

And my front passenger seat are empty most of the time. But once my baby grow bigger, wife come back to the front seat.

So most probably you can get your maid to squeeze into the centre rear seat. Unless you fed your maid too well.

drive a liana with 3 car seats. when me and wife in front. you need to choose a car seat which is small and light enough. I use combi cocorro. The combination is, one combi forward facing on left side. center is a rear facing combi and right side a graco booster with back rest. if the liana can fit, then all other cars should be able to fit too. if i remove graco. i can also ride in the back and still be comfortable. I'm 1.73M tall.

Edited by Mkl22

I have a 3+yo and a 1+yo. I drive a 5+2 MPV. Total got my mom, wife and myself as adults.

The 3+yo is around 16kg so can use booster seat that comes with backing and headrest. I bought one which is compact enough so that there's more space for an adult to seat in between and easy to get in and out. 1+yo toddler on infant seat that can seat from infant to 4yo. I think when my kid reach 2yo got to change to a larger or booster seat.

There are booster seats for 15kg to 30+kg. Weight seems to be the consideration when choosing one. Mine come with the backing can be removed when my kid grows older. RIght now I feel it's better with the backing and headrest. Infant seat is slightly reclined and cannot be totally seated upright. I think to protect their fragile necks. When infant I had it facing rear until 1.5yo or heavy enough I switch to front facing but all sit in the 2nd row.

My second row folds 60/40 the infant seat is sitted at the 40 and booster on the 60 coz booster seat is easier to remove to access the 3rd row of seats. But I hardly use 3rd row of seats. Infant seat is cumbersome even for those with isofix.

I got all my child/infant seats, pram & buggy from baby hyperstore at Kaki Bukit.

--------------------

Hi, what does it mean when you say the secnd row folds 60/40?

Btw, the SUVs I am interested in is the Santa Fe, and possibly the Sorento (2015 version) but I don't know if the seven seater will be sold in Singapore...

Hi All,

Just bot a infant car seat (Joie Tilt) for my 2.5 month baby gal and would like to know if it is ok to mount the rear facing infant car seat on top of the folded carseat (2nd pic)?

Thanks. :)

post-3399-0-85130500-1427810749_thumb.jpg

post-3399-0-66321200-1427810760_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

Just bot a infant car seat (Joie Tilt) for my 2.5 month baby gal and would like to know if it is ok to mount the rear facing infant car seat on top of the folded carseat (2nd pic)?

Thanks. :)

attachicon.gifDSC_0230.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0241.JPG

Touch wood. If there's a rear impact the things in your boot might come flying out of the access hole and hit your kid. A seat cover hardly cost anything if you are afraid the babyseat might damage your car seat. Or you can just get a small flat pillow from Ikea to place it under the babyseat.

Touch wood. If there's a rear impact the things in your boot might come flying out of the access hole and hit your kid. A seat cover hardly cost anything if you are afraid the babyseat might damage your car seat. Or you can just get a small flat pillow from Ikea to place it under the babyseat.

No la, will cover that hole up if I am to use it this way, i do think of that too.

I find that mounting it on the seat directly doesn't seem too firm (Maybe I too arse [:p] ), and it did create some dents on the car seat.

I had a seat cushion protector before that was placed between the child seat and the car seat. I still added a folded bath towel to protect the car seat....

Typical kiasu mentality!

↡ Advertisement