Car vibrates between 80-90km/h

CWS78

Neutral Newbie

Hi all, i drive Hyundai Avante. All was fine and great with the car till i hit a fist-size rock, which both left front & back wheels went over at around 90km/h, along PIE 1 month ago and nightmare starts.

Damage is cracked rim and puncture tyre.

After changing new rims and replace 2 new tyre (2 tyre can be reuse) and wheel alignment and balancing done plus 2x front suspension changed, i notice the car vibrates once hit 80km/h and the vibration fade away after 85km/h. Beyond 85km/h can still feel slight vibration.

The vibration is felt most at seat (butt) area (nothing on steering wheel) and can be heard as a low humming noise like a out balanced air con compressor.

Car mechanics said it's my gear box
Read up on internet suggests drive shaft or CV joint worn out. Called to Komoco for diagnose will cost up to $180!

Other than this high speed vibration, everything feel alright.

Appreciate any advice, please.

↡ Advertisement

what rims did you get? Was centre spigot used correctly??

Try to find original rim and fit and try, you be surprised all things may be back to the norm.

Neutral Newbie

what rims did you get? Was centre spigot used correctly??

Try to find original rim and fit and try, you be surprised all things may be back to the norm.

i get the new rim at Hankook tyre as i been using their tyre since day 1.

Yes, centre spigot is used on each rim.

No issue with the previous 17" though.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

If $180 can solve the problem ... I would give them ... 😉

I'm keeping Komoco as my last resort, last experience (steering wheel repair) with them not so pleasant.

$180 is just for checking and consultation. Their repair bill is super inflated...

Edited by CWS78

there is no guarantee it IS the problem even after u paid the 180.

it appeared u have done the necessary to ensure no forward movin issues after hittin the rock.

perhaps need to recheck balancin of rims n even cross sequence tightening of rims. for a start, y not loosen wheel nuts, jack up slightly at loosen wheel area, cross tighten again.

If $180 can solve the problem ... I would give them ... 😉

seebay kwee lei, n that is just to diagnose what MIGHT be the issue. then comes the bigger quotation of labor n parts.

there is no guarantee it IS the problem even after u paid the 180.

it appeared u have done the necessary to ensure no forward movin issues after hittin the rock.

perhaps need to recheck balancin of rims n even cross sequence tightening of rims. for a start, y not loosen wheel nuts, jack up slightly at loosen wheel area, cross tighten again.

seebay kwee lei, n that is just to diagnose what MIGHT be the issue. then comes the bigger quotation of labor n parts.

Can try outside workshop? Korean cars should be relatively easy to diagnose, even more so with a Hyundai Avante. [:)]

Can try outside workshop? Korean cars should be relatively easy to diagnose, even more so with a Hyundai Avante. [:)]

Same, what used to b a reasonable workshop may not continue to b so, esp to a reasonably mechanically competent guy like me, whr they can't bulls**t me. Recent tiptronic issue that I've faced has proven the pt. n I ain't patronizing them for my next svc onward.

As long as we own a ride, it's tough not to let ws earn a lil more by fixing issues w component or system replacement approach.

Gone r the days of proper / detailed troubleshooting

did you go to outside workshop to check on your car's condition? I do know that drive shaft can be one of the culprits that causes vibration. Other than drive shaft, it could be wheel bearings as well

Hi all, i drive Hyundai Avante. All was fine and great with the car till i hit a fist-size rock, which both left front & back wheels went over at around 90km/h, along PIE 1 month ago and nightmare starts.

Damage is cracked rim and puncture tyre.

After changing new rims and replace 2 new tyre (2 tyre can be reuse) and wheel alignment and balancing done plus 2x front suspension changed, i notice the car vibrates once hit 80km/h and the vibration fade away after 85km/h. Beyond 85km/h can still feel slight vibration.

The vibration is felt most at seat (butt) area (nothing on steering wheel) and can be heard as a low humming noise like a out balanced air con compressor.

Car mechanics said it's my gear box

Read up on internet suggests drive shaft or CV joint worn out. Called to Komoco for diagnose will cost up to $180!

Other than this high speed vibration, everything feel alright.

Appreciate any advice, please.

I had this experienced before,Its drive shaft. After change every ok.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Problem resolved after kena pushed around like ball between workshop and Tyre shop...

it was due to 2 faulty wheel bearings (1 front 1 back) on the same side of car.

The mechanics comments it unlike the usual bearing wear n tear which will give out constant sound. He suspects it due to impact of running over the rock which the internal structure were damaged.

So i'm lucky the bearing takes the beating rather other axle or shaft...

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Had my wheel bearing changed recently as well. Mine was due to wear and tear. But regardless, if not changed the entire wheel could fall out!

i get a strange sound from my car at 80~90km/h, a little buzz sound every 1 second. if i go above 90, then it disappears. could it be tyre/rim problem?

Everyone second couldmean mean something that is rotating. Make sure nothing bulging out at the tyres which is dangerous meaning any time it can burst.

Edited by Volvobrick

i get a strange sound from my car at 80~90km/h, a little buzz sound every 1 second. if i go above 90, then it disappears. could it be tyre/rim problem?

Depends on the sound where its coming from.....

just send it for check ....sometimes uneven wearing of tyres will also cause this..

just hate it when its at the workshop then no sound....after you leave it comes back again

Neutral Newbie

did the mechanic do a test run along the highway?

accident-repair-9-416x416.jpg

Edited by Frisk
↡ Advertisement