First Drive - Mazda2 Hatchback (A)

Baal

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=795&PN=3

Key Points :

- Compared to the 3 hatchback, there's less space in the cabin and a 250-litre boot (including underfloor storage) of the 2. But it's adequate for four Asian adults of average height, with decent legroom made possible by the significant 80mm increase in the 2's wheelbase to 2,570mm.

- It's not fast, of course, with only 115bhp to play with from its 1.5-litre engine. But the kerb weight is just over a tonne, and the SkyActiv four-cylinder is hooked up to a responsive six-speed automatic gearbox (the old model uses a mere four-speeder), complete with little paddle-shifters and a well-placed Sport switch.

- Hitting 100km/h from a standstill takes 10 seconds flat, which is less impressive than how the car behaves in corners. The steering, which is light on initial turn-in, becomes firm and positive as it negotiates the bend at speed, with the vehicle steadily following through.

- The positivity of the steering, along with the stability of the chassis, the 'continental' confidence of the suspension, the bite of the brakes and the predictable grip from the 185/60 R16 tyres, makes the 2 a cooperative companion on the circuit. Not bad at all for a city car destined to live its life in the city, far away from any racetrack.

- The engine is energetic and willing, all the way to 6,000rpm. It's clearly heard when hard at work, but it operates smoothly and there's no untoward vibration through the bulkhead. When the 2 is just cruising along, it is as calm, controlled and well-insulated as the 3 hatchback.

- Mazda's latest fun-to-drive 2 will be introduced to Singapore in the first quarter of next year.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

http://www.sgcarmart.com/news/review.php?AID=795&PN=3

Key Points :

- Compared to the 3 hatchback, there's less space in the cabin and a 250-litre boot (including underfloor storage) of the 2. But it's adequate for four Asian adults of average height, with decent legroom made possible by the significant 80mm increase in the 2's wheelbase to 2,570mm.

- It's not fast, of course, with only 115bhp to play with from its 1.5-litre engine. But the kerb weight is just over a tonne, and the SkyActiv four-cylinder is hooked up to a responsive six-speed automatic gearbox (the old model uses a mere four-speeder), complete with little paddle-shifters and a well-placed Sport switch.

- Hitting 100km/h from a standstill takes 10 seconds flat, which is less impressive than how the car behaves in corners. The steering, which is light on initial turn-in, becomes firm and positive as it negotiates the bend at speed, with the vehicle steadily following through.

- The positivity of the steering, along with the stability of the chassis, the 'continental' confidence of the suspension, the bite of the brakes and the predictable grip from the 185/60 R16 tyres, makes the 2 a cooperative companion on the circuit. Not bad at all for a city car destined to live its life in the city, far away from any racetrack.

- The engine is energetic and willing, all the way to 6,000rpm. It's clearly heard when hard at work, but it operates smoothly and there's no untoward vibration through the bulkhead. When the 2 is just cruising along, it is as calm, controlled and well-insulated as the 3 hatchback.

- Mazda's latest fun-to-drive 2 will be introduced to Singapore in the first quarter of next year.

Thks bro for the link!!

Was abit surprised actually that a test drive was already done for this car since it's not here

yet but realised it was done in Japan. It looks really nice and I suppose good for city driving.

With paddle shifts and sports mode mated to a 6AT can't ask for more!

I owned 2 Mazdas before and both were good at cornering but a tad noisy and seems like

these characteristics are still inherent. If price well it could outsell Jazz??

• Praise 12

Thks bro for the link!!

Was abit surprised actually that a test drive was already done for this car since it's not here

yet but realised it was done in Japan. It looks really nice and I suppose good for city driving.

I owned 2 Mazdas before and both were good at cornering but a tad noisy and seems like

Yea, looks like direct competitor for Jazz. Esp for non CVT fans.

• Praise 3

(edited)

With redline starting at 5k , n 115hp ,no mention of torque in article , cood it be a diesel ?

But again it says revs to 6k . Hmm ...

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 3

Thks bro for the link!!

Mazda's DNA

- looks stylish

- more noisy than other japanese brands

- lack of power

- good safety characteristics

- handles well

- cabin space adequate but never roomy cos of styling.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 5

Mazda's DNA

- looks stylish

- more noisy than other japanese brands

- lack of power

- good safety characteristics

- handles well

- cabin space adequate but never roomy cos of styling.

You took the words out of my mouth!

I drive a Civic now n it also has its unique characteristics.

The VTEC engine is a gem n pickup is excellent!

In an ideal world, we shld get a Jap car with Mazda design n handling, Toyota's reliability

and Honda's engine n responsiveness. Cheers n hv a good weekend!!

• Praise 8

You took the words out of my mouth!

I drive a Civic now n it also has its unique characteristics.

The VTEC engine is a gem n pickup is excellent!

In an ideal world, we shld get a Jap car with Mazda design n handling, Toyota's reliability

and Honda's engine n responsiveness. Cheers n hv a good weekend!!

every brand has their strengths and weaknesses.

If 1 brand possessed it all, it will sapu all the other brands customers liao lol.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Engines and Transmission[edit]

The Mazda2 will use Mazda's SKYACTIV-Drive automatic and SKYACTIV-MT manual gearboxes.,[58] as well as stop-start technology ("i-STOP" turns the engine off when the car is stationary) and a brake energy regeneration system ("i-ELOOP" uses braking to charge a capacitor for all car electronics, in place of an alternator charging a battery).[58]

The Mazda2 will initially be offered with a 1.5-litre petrol engine and a 1.5-litre diesel engine - the SkyActiv-D 1.5 diesel engine debuted at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show.[48]The petrol engine will be available with 74bhp, 89bhp or 113bhp, while the diesel will produce 104bhp.

Carbuyer.co.uk says that Mazda states the petrol engine will return 63mpg with emissions of 105g/km[58], Motoring.com.au says it will return 43mpg (5.5L/100km).[59] Carbuyer says that the diesel engine is capable of 83mpg with CO2 emissions of 89g/km.

====================================================

Really unsure why the Petrol Sky G have 3 different outputs.

Edited by Baal

Engines and Transmission[edit]

The Mazda2 will use Mazda's SKYACTIV-Drive automatic and SKYACTIV-MT manual gearboxes.,[58] as well as stop-start technology ("i-STOP" turns the engine off when the car is stationary) and a brake energy regeneration system ("i-ELOOP" uses braking to charge a capacitor for all car electronics, in place of an alternator charging a battery).[58]

The Mazda2 will initially be offered with a 1.5-litre petrol engine and a 1.5-litre diesel engine - the SkyActiv-D 1.5 diesel engine debuted at the 2014 Geneva Motor Show.[48]The petrol engine will be available with 74bhp, 89bhp or 113bhp, while the diesel will produce 104bhp.

Carbuyer.co.uk says that Mazda states the petrol engine will return 63mpg with emissions of 105g/km[58], Motoring.com.au says it will return 43mpg (5.5L/100km).[59] Carbuyer says that the diesel engine is capable of 83mpg with CO2 emissions of 89g/km.

====================================================

Really unsure why the Petrol Sky G have 3 different outputs.

Thks bro Baal, as usual you the guy with the first hand technical info :D

This 1.5litre skyactive engine same as the Mz3?? Mz3 engine is 120hp or is it cos the quote above is bhp? Thks!!

• Praise 4

(edited)

Thks bro Baal, as usual you the guy with the first hand technical info :D

This 1.5litre skyactive engine same as the Mz3?? Mz3 engine is 120hp or is it cos the quote above is bhp? Thks!!

=====================================================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv

1.5 L[edit]

The SKYACTIV-G 1.5 is a 1,496 cc (91.3 cu in) engine with a 74.5 mm (2.93 in) bore and a 85.8 mm (3.38 in) stroke.

is a 4 cylinder engine introduced in the 14MY Mazda3 for the Asian and European markets but that was also understandably dismissed for US consumption, its develops 99 hp (74 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 111 lb·ft (150 N·m) of torque at 4,000 rpm (Asia Markets). This new gasoline engine added to the SKYACTIV line-up achieves a high compression ratio of 13.0:1 (14.0:1 in some markets). It greatly improves dynamic performance and fuel economy over the MZR 1.5 engine of the previous model. Maximum power for the European model hatchback with automatic transmission is 115 hp (86 kW).

Applications:

====================================================================

I suspect its the same engine but with a lower compression as seen above.

Just like the 2.0 engine in Sg. For the 2.0 engine, the 6 comes with 13.0, the 3 comes with 14.0 and the 5 comes with 12.0. The lower the comp, the peak hp & torque also lowers down (however, I suspect that the torque may come on a little earlier and tail off earlier...).

In the case of Mz 2, maybe the comp is 13.0 instead of 14.0? Actually the 3 makes 118hp. Only in measurement under PS will it be 120. 1ps = 0.9859hp. Jap manufacturers almost always use ps instead of hp.

PS : talk talk only. :)

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 1

=====================================================

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyActiv

1.5 L[edit]

The SKYACTIV-G 1.5 is a 1,496 cc (91.3 cu in) engine with a 74.5 mm (2.93 in) bore and a 85.8 mm (3.38 in) stroke.

is a 4 cylinder engine introduced in the 14MY Mazda3 for the Asian and European markets but that was also understandably dismissed for US consumption, its develops 99 hp (74 kW) at 6,000 rpm and 111 lb·ft (150 N·m) of torque at 4,000 rpm (Asia Markets). This new gasoline engine added to the SKYACTIV line-up achieves a high compression ratio of 13.0:1 (14.0:1 in some markets). It greatly improves dynamic performance and fuel economy over the MZR 1.5 engine of the previous model. Maximum power for the European model hatchback with automatic transmission is 115 hp (86 kW).

Applications:

====================================================================

I suspect its the same engine but with a lower compression as seen above.

Just like the 2.0 engine. For the 2.0 engine, the 6 comes with 13.0, the 3 comes with 14.0 and the 5 comes with 12.0. The lower the comp, the peak hp & torque also lowers down (however, I suspect that the torque may come on a little earlier).

In the case of Mz 2, maybe the comp is 13.0 instead of 14.0? Actually the 3 makes 118hp. Only in measurement under PS will it be 120. 1ps = 0.9859hp. Jap manufacturers almost always use ps instead of hp.

Ok thks bro, yes I also guessing should be the same cos not possible they have 2 diff 1.5l skyactiv engines. It would be interesting though to compare the Mz2 with the Mz3 and think you could be right as likely Mz2 will have lower comp so maybe ideal for city driving?

• Praise 4

(edited)

Ok thks bro, yes I also guessing should be the same cos not possible they have 2 diff 1.5l skyactiv engines. It would be interesting though to compare the Mz2 with the Mz3 and think you could be right as likely Mz2 will have lower comp so maybe ideal for city driving?

Possible. Also if the they give the same 118hp to the 2, and given that the 2 is pretty much lighter, the 0-100 timings will undermine the 3 further.

As it is, with 115hp, its supposedly a flat 10 sec car, compared to the 3 at 11.7 sec. Any further 'improvements' will make the 2, 2 full sec faster than the 3. haha.

oh....i noted that the images provided in the new car section, the 2 has a redline that sets in at 5k, & fully red from 5.5k. iirc, for the 3, it should start from 6k?....

See the image below for the 2.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_gallery.php?CarCode=11623&CUR=17#gallery_start

Edited by Baal
  • Praise 3

Possible. Also if the they give the same 118hp to the 2, and given that the 2 is pretty much lighter, the 0-100 timings will undermine the 3 further.

As it is, with 115hp, its supposedly a flat 10 sec car, compared to the 3 at 11.7 sec. Any further 'improvements' will make the 2, 2 full sec faster than the 3. haha.

oh....i noted that the images provided in the new car section, the 2 has a redline that sets in at 5k, & fully red from 5.5k. iirc, for the 3, it should start from 6k?....

See the image below for the 2.

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_gallery.php?CarCode=11623&CUR=17#gallery_start

Wah bro, nothing escapes your eyes, good observation [thumbsup] on the red-line!!

Yes it really looks like this will be a more responsive car, sort of a Mini Cooper!

Getting interesting and next I guess would be a comparison with the Jazz, so bring on the Mz2 for a full fledge fight with the Jazz I say :D

• Praise 5

http://www.sgcarmart.com/new_cars/newcars_specs.php?CarCode=11623

The Sg specs are out finally.

Exceed 100hp per litre. Its 114hp with Kerbweight 1060kg. Torque at 148nm.

With the lower redline, from 5k rpm as per earlier photo, but compression remains at 14.

But may be slammed for having 2 airbags, 15 inch rim & the looked down upon rear torsion beam.

19.6km/L should safely return at least 14-15 even under pure city start stop traffic?

• Praise 4

Heard the price is $122,800-00. That's ex I feel n $10k more than the Jazz 1.5.

On top of that, it has a CEVS rebate of $15k compared to Jazz $10k meaning it's scrap value would be even less right? Not sure why all the Mazda cars prices shot up?

They must be getting too big for their shoes after coming in as top 5 brand of 2014!

post-48108-0-07399500-1421502715_thumb.jpg

• Praise 7

Heard the price is $122,800-00. That's ex I feel n $10k more than the Jazz 1.5.

On top of that, it has a CEVS rebate of $15k compared to Jazz $10k meaning it's scrap value would be even less right? Not sure why all the Mazda cars prices shot up?

They must be getting too big for their shoes after coming in as top 5 brand of 2014!

Agreed. the mz2 price is high. With this price I will rather go for mz3.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1