Need help with an automotive related school project.

Nick2342

Just recieved a project proposal form that i've to submit by next term and i have a pretty good idea what im going for with my project and i want to bring it to fruition, but i have some reservations about it, namely scaling the project down to size. Will the teachers accept scalable substitutes, in this case, accept the project as working in principle?

I don't know if i could do the full project in reality though, but the possibility of getting sponsorship from companies could help make it a reality.( A different project group had sponsorship from Festo while showcasing thier project.Total cost was like about 4K).
20150116_085129.jpg

post-29901-0-81980400-14016770251.png

google-rechargeit-vehicle-charging-stati

My project is basically a EV multi level recharging station, something like what a petrol station would be in the future, when we switch over from hydrocarbon based vehicles to fully electrified cars. Each car would be parked in a format similar to our current multi storey carparks, with a retractable reel like charging socket that service staff can use to tug down to plug into a vehicle to charge. Once the charging is done, the staff can once again tug on the reel to retract the cable. Customers can then pay at the counter located on the ground floor of the building. To limit the possibility of sabotage or vandalism to the charging mechanism, the customer has to leave the EV at a bay where staff will collect it, drive up to a free lot and park there to start the charging. Once it's done, the staff drives down back to a pick up bay where the customer can continue on his way.

Pros
- able to serve lots of cars, compared to just six with current petrol stations with several levels to accommodate more cars.
-Save space without compromising large pieces of land earmarked for other developments in a space constrained environment like singapore.
-Our small island is perfect for EVs to flourish here where range is limited.
-Creates jobs such as service staff, counter staff and is sustainable as electricity usage is chargeable. Basically just like current petrol stations for EVs. Being a multi tiered building means there could be possibilities for renting out space to servicing garages, car wash services etc.
-Less of a explosion/fire hazard compared to petrol stations.

Im thinking of making a scale model of a typical carpark.. using powerbanks as a supplier of electricity to RC cars, through the use of USB cables. But i'm not sure how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Like charging handshakes with cables, this very ma fang. Let's go for wireless charging!

Don't have to worry driving off with the cable dragging behind, like Felipe Massa in F1.

Like charging handshakes with cables, this very ma fang. Let's go for wireless charging!

Don't have to worry driving off with the cable dragging behind, like Felipe Massa in F1.

Huh, dont get what you mean.. Hmm. Its like tug once to bring the reel down, tug again to release the wire back up into the reel storage, so no messy wires like in the example pic.

Wireless charging is beyond my knowledge to be honest. [sweatdrop].

Why would I want an electric car when my turbo cant kick in... :D

Ok serious side, they shud implement.this and gives incentives for people to buy electric car or else its useless to build this. Nice idea though cos this will be the first in singapore

Nah, electric cars will never make it big.

Just think about CNG and the whole farking scam, and you will know once electric cars make it big, taxes will come.

Ok serious side, they shud implement.this and gives incentives for people to buy electric car or else its useless to build this. Nice idea though cos this will be the first in singapore

I guess its the other way round :/ I guess people don't seriously consider buying an electric car compared to a petrol variant as there's a lack of after sales infrastrature supporting it. For eg, everywhere there are petrol stations if a petrol propelled vehicle needs to refuel. Current electric cars have bulky recharging points that can only serve one vehicle, and to compound the problem, are located out of the way most of the time. Recharging in this case will be a headache, and most will choose a petrol car instead for convenience and peace of mind.

Huh, dont get what you mean.. Hmm. Its like tug once to bring the reel down, tug again to release the wire back up into the reel storage, so no messy wires like in the example pic.

Tug..tug..tug..stuck.

Tug some more, maybe the whole thing come falling down and strike the car below.

Sorry, imo, bad design.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Google "inductive charging"

Care to share which school and faculty are you from?

• Praise 1

I guess its the other way round :/ I guess people don't seriously consider buying an electric car compared to a petrol variant as there's a lack of after sales infrastrature supporting it. For eg, everywhere there are petrol stations if a petrol propelled vehicle needs to refuel. Current electric cars have bulky recharging points that can only serve one vehicle, and to compound the problem, are located out of the way most of the time. Recharging in this case will be a headache, and most will choose a petrol car instead for convenience and peace of mind.

Yes and recharging very slow. Petrol car top up less than 5 mins can run 500km above while electric cars charge 4-6 hours for distance travelled much lesser.

For.this system to be successfully implemented, it would require government support. Even though this system cost about 4k in one carpark.but.if to be installed islandwide would cost a bomb.

Tug..tug..tug..stuck.

Tug some more, maybe the whole thing come falling down and strike the car below.

Sorry, imo, bad design.

Maybe its.better to have more support for the cables

Nah, electric cars will never make it big.

Just think about CNG and the whole farking scam, and you will know once electric cars make it big, taxes will come.

Yes and due to high demand of electricity, it ends up our utilities bill will shoot high high

Tug..tug..tug..stuck.

Sorry, imo, bad design.

The reel storage is not anchored above the car like in the pic, at the side of the vehicle to minimise damage should the above scenario happen.

Google "inductive charging"

Care to share which school and faculty are you from?

Hmm, electromagnetism, from the gist of the google pages? At least that's what i can derive from the wikia. But it seems more expensive and adds complexitiy to the design than the cable option.

No problem. Im studying in ITE. Yr 1 Higher Nitec in mechanical engineering

Yes and recharging very slow. Petrol car top up less than 5 mins can run 500km above while electric cars charge 4-6 hours for distance travelled much lesser.

For.this system to be successfully implemented, it would require government support. Even though this system cost about 4k in one carpark.but.if to be installed islandwide would cost a bomb.

Maybe its.better to have more support for the cables

Yes and due to high demand of electricity, it ends up our utilities bill will shoot high high

Telsa came up with a supercharger for electric vehicles that can charge in minutes. But from what i know, its only compatible with Telsa model variants only.

Any design that involves a lot of movement generally equals poor reliability.

I guess so, but if that were the case, i guess google wouldn't have implemented it for thier fleet like in the pic. Perhaps, something like an easy access hatch to fix the problem, should one occur?

why not battery kiosks or petrol kiosks have pre-charged batteries and drivers just swap their depleted one for a fully charged one for a fee. No waiting time.

• Praise 1

I guess so, but if that were the case, i guess google wouldn't have implemented it for thier fleet like in the pic. Perhaps, something like an easy access hatch to fix the problem, should one occur?

If you're building charging points, a simple solution is to lay the wires underground and have a charging point sticking out of the ground beside each designated lot.

I can't answer why google would want to have wires hanging all around.

I'm a simple man. If I make things, I want simplicity and functionality, on top of reliability.

• Praise 2

The current limitation of battery life vs distance makes a electric car unfeasible for large scale roll out, not to mention in Singapore heat deteriorates cell life.

Makes more sense to design cars with replaceable battery cells, and the top up station will swap out the cells and charge the customer for the electricity provided on the topped up battery.

However unless someone breaks all limitation on current batteries or govt redo the main infrastructure (wireless induction in the road) electric car usage will be limited.

Realistically I believe Hydrogen fuel cell is a better way to go assuming they find a way to efficient split hydrogen from water and a safe way to store them in cars.

We are already using wireless phone and internet connection. Don't repeat the history again, skip that cable and go wireless power transmission.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClFu4Z954rs

Hmm. to be honest, it's really beyond me, as much as i want to implement it in my project. Also have to take costs and practicality in mind as wireless charging is more expensive

To be honest, what would you think of a multi level EV charging station, like say.. one with two/ three storeys that could support tens or maybe hundred or two?( on a real world scale)?.

We are already using wireless phone and internet connection. Don't repeat the history again, skip that cable and go wireless power transmission.

It is a known fact that wireless charging is much slower. Imagine charging by wire already takes few hours, wireless few times longer...

Edited by Ingenius
↡ Advertisement