Aircon went off when driving. Can't turn on for 2 min.

Atrecord

Hi.

Was driving almost 9 year-old verna on Saturday. Went couple of places, then on way home after buying breakfast near my place, the aircon suddenly just went off. The a/c knob is the turn (not touch) type and it was still at '1' position. Turning the knob to '0', then to '1', '2', '3', '4', all no response. Fed up and upset already, as it was 5.15 pm so was thinking of where can I go to see what's wrong...

Then at traffic light 2 min later, my daughter sitting in front passenger seat, turned the a/c knob again, and this time the a/c came back on!!! Reached home 3 min later and it was ok, still cold as before.

Did not drive on Sun, and today drove to work, and out for lunch. So far no noticeable problem and it seems to be working fine.

Does anyone know what could be the problem with my a/c system? I changed the cooling coil 16 mth ago, and really dread having to spend more $$ on repair, as car is no longer new...

tks...

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

i am having the same problem.

aircon was working normally but when my rpm goes up to 4, my aircon was cut off with no cold air....

stop the car at relatives place and start engine again, this time aircon is cold and normal, but when i hit 4 rpm it got cut off again...

maybe TS can advise if he have resolved this problem....

btw i am driving a 5yrs old Sorento

sorry for digging this old thread as i do not want to start new.

Hi,

aircon was working normally but when my rpm goes up to 4, my aircon was cut off with no cold air....

stop the car at relatives place and start engine again, this time aircon is cold and normal, but when i hit 4 rpm it got cut off again...

I am hoping that things remain status quo: as it turns out, it was just a one-off happening. I did not encounter the problem again since then (about 10 days ago now).

The aircon remains cold, v cold in fact if the sun is not baking the car. Since I changed the cooling coil 1.5 yr ago, the a/c has been very cold.

This car has 1 yr and 2 mth to go… i hope it'll last the duration...

Maybe just a loose connector.

Can i check this myself (in which case, can please advise where/what is this?), or need expert help?

tks...

Hi,

Normally the a/c compressor are switches or sensors to protect it

1) Thermal Cutoff switch which disengage the clutch to prevent overheat

2) High Pressure cutoff

Normally the a/c compressor are switches or sensors to protect it

1) Thermal Cutoff switch which disengage the clutch to prevent overheat

2) High Pressure cutoff

Supersonic

Can i check this myself (in which case, can please advise where/what is this?), or need expert help?

tks...

You mentioned turning aircon knob and it didn't work the first time, until your daughter did it.

So that would be the first place to look.

But you would need to pull out the panel and look behind at the knob, the connectors and wiring harness.

Look for loose connector and/or try to push it in firmly.

Hi.

Was driving almost 9 year-old verna on Saturday. Went couple of places, then on way home after buying breakfast near my place, the aircon suddenly just went off. The a/c knob is the turn (not touch) type and it was still at '1' position. Turning the knob to '0', then to '1', '2', '3', '4', all no response. Fed up and upset already, as it was 5.15 pm so was thinking of where can I go to see what's wrong...

Then at traffic light 2 min later, my daughter sitting in front passenger seat, turned the a/c knob again, and this time the a/c came back on!!! Reached home 3 min later and it was ok, still cold as before.

Did not drive on Sun, and today drove to work, and out for lunch. So far no noticeable problem and it seems to be working fine.

Does anyone know what could be the problem with my a/c system? I changed the cooling coil 16 mth ago, and really dread having to spend more $$ on repair, as car is no longer new...

tks...

Hi, I think the 1,2,3,4 knob you mentioned is the fan speed control switch. There is another switch to turn the a/c on/off, otherwise, it is just in "fan"mode!

You mentioned turning aircon knob and it didn't work the first time, until your daughter did it.

But you would need to pull out the panel and look behind at the knob, the connectors and wiring harness.

But strange thing was that it was on as car was moving, then suddenly no more aircon when knob was at 1. First thing I did was turned to off then 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 (max) but still nothing. .. then worried so turned back to off. After maybe 1 or 2 min my daughter tried again and it worked. ..

Wah pull out panel. .. scared pull too many things out can't put back in. Hee hee. ..

But strange thing was that it was on as car was moving, then suddenly no more aircon when knob was at 1. First thing I did was turned to off then 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 (max) but still nothing. .. then worried so turned back to off. After maybe 1 or 2 min my daughter tried again and it worked. ..

Wah pull out panel. .. scared pull too many things out can't put back in. Hee hee. ..

check your magnetic clutch for the air con.

mine some times will not have cold air....after on and off then will come back....

my problem is the magnetic clutch is wearing ....just need to push it back and tighten it....pray its this coz its cheaper than replacing a compressor.

check your magnetic clutch for the air con.

mine some times will not have cold air....after on and off then will come back....

my problem is the magnetic clutch is wearing ....just need to push it back and tighten it....pray its this coz its cheaper than replacing a compressor.

Mine 1.5 yr ago suddenly no more cold air. Went a/c w/s said cooling coil gone liao. Before it conked off, when aircon was still cold, the 1.5 yr before that always had this sour smell every morning when first on a/c. used charcoal and drying agent, and used hot air to blow for 5 min (as recommended by some bros here), all didn't remove the smell...

After changing the cooling coil, air coming out si bey cold, and the sour smell all gone - so it was good.

Anywhere can find diagram of this or not huh? Want to see and learn first, before trying out myself. Can't afford the risk of either can't open, or can't put back myself...

tks..

Mine 1.5 yr ago suddenly no more cold air. Went a/c w/s said cooling coil gone liao. Before it conked off, when aircon was still cold, the 1.5 yr before that always had this sour smell every morning when first on a/c. used charcoal and drying agent, and used hot air to blow for 5 min (as recommended by some bros here), all didn't remove the smell...

After changing the cooling coil, air coming out si bey cold, and the sour smell all gone - so it was good.

Anywhere can find diagram of this or not huh? Want to see and learn first, before trying out myself. Can't afford the risk of either can't open, or can't put back myself...

tks..

Bro, if your car still got a long way to go better to seek professionals help. not easy to check yourself.

check with the guys in your forum of same make if the encounter the same problem. usually if others had encounter the same problems,

we can round down the fault easier to repair......I once tried to change my car air con filter and damn spent an hour trying to put

back my glove compartment until I was wet from head to tail...hahhaaa

Bro, if your car still got a long way to go better to seek professionals help. not easy to check yourself.

check with the guys in your forum of same make if the encounter the same problem. usually if others had encounter the same problems,

we can round down the fault easier to repair......I once tried to change my car air con filter and damn spent an hour trying to put

back my glove compartment until I was wet from head to tail...hahhaaa

ok. tks...

this is a verna, and i'm not very active in that forum leh… in fact, can't find the original forum that i went previously...

it's a second car and has 1 yr 2 mth to go. hope it'll last the distance.

↡ Advertisement