Hard-shifting when auto transmission is cold

Kippei

Has anyone experience hard shifting esp 1 - 2 when the transmission is cold during the morning.

When it warm up, it then shift smoothly. It is normal?

↡ Advertisement

Has anyone experience hard shifting esp 1 - 2 when the transmission is cold during the morning.

Yes, just let it warm up first.

:D

• Praise 6

Your ride manual or auto?

• Praise 7

I recall you posted a similar topic on this before, where one workshop apparently under-filled your ATF when you did a change. You also mentioned it was better after topping up. So it's starting again now?

Was the ATF you changed to the correct specification for your car? If the jerk is really annoying you can first try doing a drain and fill, with either the correct OEM spec ATF or a good quality synthetic one. The hard shift seems quite common on many auto cars I've driven so far, and on some of the cars in my care I found that doing a drain and fill with a good quality synthetic ATF can do wonders sometimes, or at least significantly reduce the jerk and smoothen out shifts. If after doing so, the problem still persists, you may want to get it checked out at a workshop which specializes in automatic transmissions. Not all gearbox problems mean you have to get the entire gearbox changed, sometimes it's just something as minor as the TCM or valve body.

Sometimes hard shifting could be caused by insufficient or wrong pressure build up in the transmission. What I do with my old Nissan is that after I start the engine, I hold on the brakes and put the car in reverse - "R".

Note we usually reverse-park in Singapore, so the reverse gear is almost always engaged when the tranny is warm and as a result suffer less wear than the first or second forward gear, unlike other countries where people park head-in (or if you live in a landed estate).

I leave it in "R" for a few seconds while holding on to the brakes just to let the transmission build pressure, before shifting into "D". Then it shifts normally from thereon.

Edited by Detach8
  • Praise 1

Anyway i have nothing to lose before I opt for a $2xx transmission filter change and flush.

At least at this point of time, i can conclude the valve is not the main cause of issue here.

↡ Advertisement