Engine revving up and down

Eko6

Today, I encountered a strange problem. The car suddenly revving between 1000rpm to 2000rpm. I was not stepping of the accelerator. Even when the gear is put to P or N, the needle went up and down. When reaching traffic light, I needed to step hardware in order to brake.

Anyone encounter such an issue before?

↡ Advertisement

For the revving up and down, I see as the servo actuator (which controls idling) might be faulty and hence unable to maintain the normal idling range. (On the air con, to see if there is any difference to the idling.)

After you mention the harder effort to step on the brakes, it seems to me as a tell tale sign of vacuum leak, which affects braking effort and the idling.

There might be the following problems,

1) Faulty servo actuator, or

2) Vacuum leak (caused by worn or loose hoses)

There might be other issues relating to yours but these two seems to be as the contributors.

Edited by Heartbreakid
  • Praise 1

For the revving up and down, I see as the servo actuator (which controls idling) might be faulty and hence unable to maintain the normal idling range. (On the air con, to see if there is any difference to the idling.)

After you mention the harder effort to step on the brakes, it seems to me as a tell tale sign of vacuum leak, which affects braking effort and the idling.

There might be the following problems,

1) Faulty servo actuator, or

2) Vacuum leak (caused by worn or loose hoses)

There might be other issues relating to yours but these two seems to be as the contributors.

It was the same with or without aircon. It seemed like someone was stepping and releasing the accelerator. I opened the bonnet and check the cable that connected to the accelerator, it was not moving.

It was harder to brake because the car was accelerating. Something was causing the engine to go vroom vroom vroom...I googled and found something like "engine hunting".

Will send to workshop when it opens.

Can be anything related to fuel delivery.

Is the MIL light lit? If yes, need to retreive the fault code to zoom in on the possible causes.

Thanks. There was no warning light.

It was the same with or without aircon. It seemed like someone was stepping and releasing the accelerator. I opened the bonnet and check the cable that connected to the accelerator, it was not moving.

It was harder to brake because the car was accelerating. Something was causing the engine to go vroom vroom vroom...I googled and found something like "engine hunting".

Will send to workshop when it opens.

Thanks. There was no warning light.

Air Flow Sensor. Take it out n clean. Easy job. The sensor after your air filter.

Can be anything related to fuel delivery.

Is the MIL light lit? If yes, need to retreive the fault code to zoom in on the possible causes.

For awhile...I was thinking you mean MIL ( mother in law) warning lite is on or not....haha....if mother in law sit in the car....could cause a failure due to continous talking and grumbling... :D

For awhile...I was thinking you mean MIL ( mother in law) warning lite is on or not....haha....if mother in law sit in the car....could cause a failure due to continous talking and grumbling... :D

i make sure she dont get in the 1st place....... -_-

That would cause the car un-movable; driver run off.

Today, I encountered a strange problem. The car suddenly revving between 1000rpm to 2000rpm. I was not stepping of the accelerator. Even when the gear is put to P or N, the needle went up and down. When reaching traffic light, I needed to step hardware in order to brake.

Anyone encounter such an issue before?

I will vote for vacuum leak, kena before .. Easy fix by replacing the hoses (or valve ). Edited by Count_duku

Just to give an update.

The problem was due to throttle body valve got stuck.  I just rammed the rpm to 5k on the road.  After that, everything back to normal.  Repair cost is nil.

• Praise 2

Just to give an update.

The problem was due to throttle body valve got stuck.  I just rammed the rpm to 5k on the road.  After that, everything back to normal.  Repair cost is nil.

Lol nice one, congrats on the free fix.

Just to give an update.

The problem was due to throttle body valve got stuck. I just rammed the rpm to 5k on the road. After that, everything back to normal. Repair cost is nil.

Bro, mind PM me your workshop as my car is having similar issues just that it is intermittent...

Driving a swift...

TIA

Bro, mind PM me your workshop as my car is having similar issues just that it is intermittent...

Driving a swift...

TIA

Try cleaning your throttle body first. it may help. Else is the stepper idle motor is faulty.

Driving a swift...

TIA

You can do what I did.  Otherwise, go to any workshop to clean throttle body.  I think about $100.

↡ Advertisement