Wife got into accident, how does this affect my premium?

Sabe

Neutral Newbie

Dear All,

My wife got into an accident recently with a car under my name. Damage was in the 15k region and the car was a write-off.

The car was under my name, so I am guessing my future premiums will be affected. If I were to buy another car, should I put it under her name or my name? Generally whose premium will be higher?

Aside from our gender, our profiles are fairly similar.

Thanks.

Edited by Sabe
↡ Advertisement

Dear All,

My wife got into an accident recently with a car under my name. Damage was in the 15k region and the car was a write-off.

The car was under my name, so I am guessing my future premiums will be affected. If I were to buy another car, should I put it under her name or my name? Generally whose premium will be higher?

Thanks.

too late already, unless insurance company willing to change the premiums to her name and you have to pay the difference

Edited by MQX87511

Neutral Newbie

too late already, unless insurance company willing to change the premiums to her name and you have to pay the difference

I mean, in the future if I buy another car. Should I put the new car under my name or her name for better premium? Since technically I wasn't the one at fault... Will my premium be affected less than hers? Or will my premium be worse since the claim is done with a policy under my name...

Some insurance companies want a declaration of any accident involved, some wants a declaration if more than once or something like that.

This can be from you (if you want a new insureance company) or your wife (if you intend to use her to buy the car and insurace). So either way, you can expect a loading. Good luck (I said some, not all).

I mean, in the future if I buy another car. Should I put the new car under my name or her name for better premium? Since technically I wasn't the one at fault... Will my premium be affected less than hers? Or will my premium be worse since the claim is done with a policy under my name...

if after this claim done, your NCD reset to 0, then new car premium should not be much different regardless under your name or your wife,

don't think insurance company will trace your past record

Dear All,

Thanks.

doesn't help to put the next insurance under her name.......cos like other members have said, they need the insurance owner to declare if they have gotten into accident in the last 3 years.

last time I gotten into accident and made a claim. the policy was also in my name. sold off the car thereafter.

for the next car, I register under wife name. after few years of clearing the record, I transfer it back to my name.....

even if you put her name there will still be loading...

my sis had an accident on my mum's car and the next year there is a loading on my mum's premium and my sis also bought a new car the following she was also charged for loading as they do keep records....

if after this claim done, your NCD reset to 0, then new car premium should not be much different regardless under your name or your wife,

don't think insurance company will trace your past record

Not zero but minus away 30%.

if NCD is 50% before claim, still got 20% and not zero.

even if you put her name there will still be loading...

my sis had an accident on my mum's car and the next year there is a loading on my mum's premium and my sis also bought a new car the following she was also charged for loading as they do keep records....

Exactly. Unless TS is the driver involved in claim,then buy next car under wife name

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Thanks for the replies guys but I think some of you miss the point :P

I understand that both loading will increase.

Maybe I should rephrase the question.

Whose premium will increase more? Hers or mine?

Edited by Sabe

I think you're missing the point actually - the only way to really know is to get a quote from both insurers and compare these - quotes are still non-committal aren't they?

Most major insurers have a common database where all claims and incidents are recorded and shared. Different insurers underwrite their risks in different ways, so there's no way to tell until you actually go ahead to get a quote.

• Praise 5

I think you're missing the point actually - the only way to really know is to get a quote from both insurers and compare these - quotes are still non-committal aren't they?

Most major insurers have a common database where all claims and incidents are recorded and shared. Different insurers underwrite their risks in different ways, so there's no way to tell until you actually go ahead to get a quote.

Agree with u.. best to check during the point of ur purchase which insurance is cheaper see from there.

I don't think most of us can answer.

This is 1 question i had drawn from DA:

"Do you or any of the drivers that you want to insure have 2 or more at-fault accidents/claims on this or another vehicle (excluding motorcycles) in the last 3 years?"

In short, you have to ask her to stop driving for the next 3 yrs to avoid loading.

Neutral Newbie

Thanks, I do plan to do that of course. Just curious at this point in time.

I'll get a few quotes and compare. I've tried asking for a quote a few days ago (accident was about 2 weeks back) but it seems that their databases are not updated yet - both our premiums are still quoted fairly low.

Thanks, I do plan to do that of course. Just curious at this point in time.

I'll get a few quotes and compare. I've tried asking for a quote a few days ago (accident was about 2 weeks back) but it seems that their databases are not updated yet - both our premiums are still quoted fairly low.

the database is for claims, not accidents. it'll probably be updated only after your claim has been paid out and processed.

Ask the insurer to quote both name which one cheaper

If u got 50% ncd i think u will be left with 20% ncd

• Praise 2

You just worried the insurance premium,the accident cause your car to write off,it must be a very bad one,you should thanks God,your wife is fine after the accident... :D

• Praise 2

Supercharged

TS, hope yr wife is OK.

Regardless of whose fault, she will be affected. Do keep a lookout for her emotional and mental state.

When I was involved in a chain collision years ago, I heard tyres screeching n I looked up at the rearview mirror only to see the lorry who reared my vehicle barrelling towards us. It took me awhile and I finally overcame my phobia and get behind the wheels.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5