Carpooling to save the environment and save cost!

krone

Got a friend that is contemplating buying a car but is a bit put off by the high cost of owning a car nowadays. After he read about carpooling and that he could probably defray his cost by at least a few hundreds he is abit more assured now.

With a baby coming his way, he wasn't too sure if he could afford the additional expense but the availability of carpooling makes it more viable for him now. Just thinking that maybe we should do more carpooling not just to save the environment but also for the cost savings that it entails. Anybody here has got any good experience to share so far?

↡ Advertisement

Was very common in the 70s and 80s when public transport had no MRT and buses were unreliable. Colleagues or people in same building/army camp will pay car owner for a ride one-way to work. Going home was on own as people had own after-work agenda or finished work at different times.

It was a win-win arrangement. However some basic courtesy rules needed like :

1. Be punctual at pick-up point.

2. Driver waits for 5 mins at pick-up point and if no show, drives off

3. Driver allowed to skip some days when sick or on leave

4. Provide for plenty of give and take between driver and pasengers

• Praise 1

Can try signing up for this:

http://www.sharetransport.sg/home

saw this and carpoolking.com as well. But its more of a bulleting format. And sharetransport.sg seems to be advocating buses for the people than carpooling for drivers. There is a mobile App called Ryde that seems to better match riders and drivers. The best thing is that they have an algorithm to calculate the amount payable so it takes away the potential conflict of how much to pay. Seems to better facilitate the whole process.

http://www.rydesharing.sg

http://news.asiaone.com/news/transport/carpooling-sites-emerge-after-new-laws-passed

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/carpooling-app-ryde-airbnb-style-030039703.html

Hypersonic
(edited)

really wanna save cost and environment, take bus, mrt or walk. bicycle also can

wanna drive don't talk about saving costs and environment. they are poor justifications

:D

Edited by Enye
  • Praise 2

It's illegal to carpool if any forms of rewards/incentive were given.

This one not I say one, LTA & insurance say so.

Singapore government has actually passed a legislation legalising carpooling and the collection of money from this. BUT the money collected must not be more than the cost of the ride. It is more to defray the cost of the trip than to make money from it.

• Praise 2

really wanna save cost and environment, take bus, mrt or walk. bicycle also can

wanna drive don't talk about saving costs and environment. they are poor justifications

main thing is because my friend's wife is expecting and he feels that its more convenient to have a car, but the cost is too high as it is... so carpooling actually helps him to reduce the cost of owning a car.

There are always legit reasons for needing a car. For e.g. if you are doing sales, sometimes it really isn't feasible to take public transport to some places that are not as accessible. Of course you can still take public transport but that would limit the number of clients you can meet a day. These are real problems and we ARE living in a real world. It doesn't mean that just because I want to advocate a cleaner environment I cannot consider driving at all. If I really need to drive, then the next best thing would be to share a ride with another so that I can do my bit to reduce the carbon footprint.

So i would say that this is a real solution to a real problem. If you really need to drive, then carpooling is a way to reduce the cost and also to do our part to reduce CO2 emission. Its also a good way to network btw haha.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

main thing is because my friend's wife is expecting and he feels that its more convenient to have a car, but the cost is too high as it is... so carpooling actually helps him to reduce the cost of owning a car.

There are always legit reasons for needing a car. For e.g. if you are doing sales, sometimes it really isn't feasible to take public transport to some places that are not as accessible. Of course you can still take public transport but that would limit the number of clients you can meet a day. These are real problems and we ARE living in a real world. It doesn't mean that just because I want to advocate a cleaner environment I cannot consider driving at all. If I really need to drive, then the next best thing would be to share a ride with another so that I can do my bit to reduce the carbon footprint.

So i would say that this is a real solution to a real problem. If you really need to drive, then carpooling is a way to reduce the cost and also to do our part to reduce CO2 emission. Its also a good way to network btw haha.

for whatever amount you get from carpooling, is it worth your while spending extra time and petrol to go around picking up passengers every working day?

what about the days you are not going to work? your passengers get stranded?

for whatever amount you get from carpooling, is it worth your while spending extra time and petrol to go around picking up passengers every working day?

what about the days you are not going to work? your passengers get stranded?

The key thing about carpooling is that you get to choose riders that are going the same way as you so that you do not spend extra petrol or extra time on it. Carpooling is not like Uber or GrabCar where you actually make a living out of doing it. We're talking about picking up someone along the way that happens to be going to the same vicinity destination as you.

Again, this is more of a social thing than a business. If I were to offer my ride to someone, and I'm supposed to be doing it on a regular basis, I'm sure the only right thing to do would be to inform the person beforehand. And I dont think they will not know how to get to work on other arrangements should their "regular" driver have something on. [:)][:)]

Turbocharged
(edited)

Cost of car ownership in sgp is so high, if need to carpool in order to own a car, one should not even think of owning a car. Unless can afford comfortably, else will suffer more than enjoy having a car.

Edited by Ingenius

i did car pool previously.. i only pick up passengers from my usual route, no deviation from my route. my route was actually popular until people are willing to take bus out to my pick up point.. also no more than 5 mins waiting for both sides.. if i late, passenger can just go, if passenger late then i just go... win win.. collect some money since my car previously was empty when i go office so this is a good way to get some $$ to defray the erp cost.. also ended up got passengetr to chit chat.. lol..

btw most of my passengers are gals... in fact all are! haha..

• Praise 4

Supercharged

I would go for car sharing rather than carpooling... car sharing means many people sharing one car, carpooling means many people taking one same car at the same time.

I would rather be in the car with my family than a stranger. If I do car share, I save more because I can choose which day to drive and which day to go "free and easy"...

Carpooling helps to defray the cost of owning a car but doesn't help in saving the environment because those people in the carpool may not even own a car...

Car sharing WILL HELP to save environment by REDUCING CARBON FOOTPRINT, not by carpooling...

Cost of car ownership in sgp is so high, if need to carpool in order to own a car, one should not even think of owning a car. Unless can afford comfortably, else will suffer more than enjoy having a car.

Agreed that if need to carpool in order to own a car then it's over-stretching. But I think its more about easing the cost of owning a car.

$400 - $800 a month can really ease up a household's cash. Much better than what the govt is doing haha.. Give GST rebate but increase power tariffs hahaha

Hypersonic

$400 - $800 a month can really ease up a household's cash.

how many passengers would you be picking up to get that amount??

car pool is usually 1 way in the morning.

let's say a passenger's monthly transport fare for going to work in the morning is $100 (premium bus standard)

factor in possibility of some days when car pool is not available, i think each passenger probably willing to pay maybe $50-$60 a month only

Supercharged

Again, this is more of a social thing than a business. If I were to offer my ride to someone, and I'm supposed to be doing it on a regular basis, I'm sure the only right thing to do would be to inform the person beforehand. And I dont think they will not know how to get to work on other arrangements should their "regular" driver have something on. [:)][:)]

If it is a social thingy, I would see it as volunteering without expecting a return... I will drive my colleague back because I want to not expecting anything in return...

If my neighbour works in the area along my way to work, I would definitely drive him/ her without money...

• Praise 1

I would go for car sharing rather than carpooling... car sharing means many people sharing one car, carpooling means many people taking one same car at the same time.

I would rather be in the car with my family than a stranger. If I do car share, I save more because I can choose which day to drive and which day to go "free and easy"...

Carpooling helps to defray the cost of owning a car but doesn't help in saving the environment because those people in the carpool may not even own a car...

Car sharing WILL HELP to save environment by REDUCING CARBON FOOTPRINT, not by carpooling...

I think it depends on how u look at it... if there are 3 person that takes cab to work, when these 3 person decides to carpool instead of taking taxi, they are, in fact, reducing the carbon footprint. Of course we would rather be with family than stranger. But that main idea of carpooling is to 1) defray cost, 2) social networking and 3) reducing the carbon footprint.

I think that just because it doesn't contribute as much to reducing footprint as compared to other means, it doesnt negate the fact that it does help in a small way.

anyways im not too clear on the said difference between car sharing and carpooling haha.. to me, as long as we optimise the capacity of the passenger load, it would make a difference to the environment. One small step is still a step forward. We need to change our mindset and mentality step by step..

Supercharged

I think it depends on how u look at it... if there are 3 person that takes cab to work, when these 3 person decides to carpool instead of taking taxi, they are, in fact, reducing the carbon footprint. Of course we would rather be with family than stranger. But that main idea of carpooling is to 1) defray cost, 2) social networking and 3) reducing the carbon footprint.

I think that just because it doesn't contribute as much to reducing footprint as compared to other means, it doesnt negate the fact that it does help in a small way.

anyways im not too clear on the said difference between car sharing and carpooling haha.. to me, as long as we optimise the capacity of the passenger load, it would make a difference to the environment. One small step is still a step forward. We need to change our mindset and mentality step by step..

I look at it this way... sharing same cab can hold up to 4 people and NOT BUYING a car will reduce carbon footprint... To use carpooling as an excuse to own a car well it is indeed very refreshing

Yes change our mindset of NOT BUYING a car and NOT THINKING of new excuses to own a car. Sales need car, yes I agree but they are given car allowance so go car sharing...

We should optimize the use of cabs than buying a car and thinking of how to optimize the car to get money.

↡ Advertisement