Carculator Pro App - Depreciation, Loan, Scrap and Rule 78

Detach8

Hi guys, I just want to share this app that I built. It was finally approved by the Apple for the App Store last night. I am making it FREE until the end of this year. It will be on sale for S$1.28 starting 2016.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carculator-pro/id1035354237

There are two other similar apps on the App Store going for S$1.28 but neither have as complete a feature set as this, which is a reason why I found it compelling to build the app myself. It's difficult to be calculating depreciation especially when walking around at a dealer, so the ability to save the calculation and back-reference is very important.

You can also enter your current vehicle info into it and see your scrap and loan redemption values over time. This is very valuable if you want to know how much you still owe the bank during a trade-in.

I will probably release a "Lite" version with advertising and less features in 2016, so do grab this Pro version while you can because I will likely drop the loan redemption and save functionalities in the Lite version.

Let me know if you have any suggestions/feedbacks. Cheers!

P.S. Sorry bros, no Android version yet.

Edited by Detach8
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 19

Appreciate the time and effort to create this app for all of our convenience!

Just a suggestion, is it possible to amend the loan tenure to months? Or maybe provide a toggle for the user's inputs between months and years.

I'm nitpicking. Apart from this I thank you for the trouble on the behalf of all users. :)

• Praise 1

Appreciate the time and effort to create this app for all of our convenience!

Just a suggestion, is it possible to amend the loan tenure to months? Or maybe provide a toggle for the user's inputs between months and years.

I'm nitpicking. Apart from this I thank you for the trouble on the behalf of all users. :)

Hi! Thanks for your suggestion. I did think about it but was deciding between years or months (or years and months) because of the UI. It's easy to +/- on years but if you have months then pressing +/- will make you go nuts, so it will be a free form input (just like COE/ARF) and I feel its a bit too much for the user. I might allow increments of 0.5 years with the +/- control, but I can't think of a good way to represent in months. Also, it gets difficult when you want to convert something like 3yr 4mths to months mentally if the app asks for just months.

Regardless, your feedback is appreciated and I will think about it.

Edited by Detach8

Hi! Thanks for your suggestion. I did think about it but was deciding between years or months (or years and months) because of the UI. It's easy to +/- on years but if you have months then pressing +/- will make you go nuts, so it will be a free form input (just like COE/ARF) and I feel its a bit too much for the user. I might allow increments of 0.5 years with the +/- control, but I can't think of a good way to represent in months. Also, it gets difficult when you want to convert something like 3yr 4mths to months mentally if the app asks for just months.

ty TS for providing free.

but MS Excel can do it without complications too. when i free i do up a nice one and share it here

• Praise 1

ty TS for providing free.

but MS Excel can do it without complications too. when i free i do up a nice one and share it here

I also have an excel sheet with even more detailed info, but its hard to use MS excel while walking around a used car showroom or while sitting at the kopitiam. App is always more convenient.

• Praise 1

well done bro. AS it is, an excellent app for the newbies and the ASK who ask dep, etc etc...hahahahah

Kudos and when you start charging, hope it will reap good $$$ for your invested passion and effort

well done bro. AS it is, an excellent app for the newbies and the ASK who ask dep, etc etc...hahahahah

Kudos and when you start charging, hope it will reap good $$$ for your invested passion and effort

Thanks bro. I think it's especially helpful if people are new to buying cars. The tax structure can be a little intimidating. I think I may add more descriptive details on the next update so that people understand what they are looking at, such as "what is scrap value?"

I wanted to charge a "peanut" S$0.50 for the app, but for those of you who know how the app store works, you can't just put an arbitrary pricing. The pricing goes by tiers, so the lowest I can go is S$1.28.

I don't think it's going to make me rich, but I hope maybe it pays for some fuel or at least my Apple Developer account. :D My logic is if the two other apps on the App Store are charging $1.28 and I've seen dealers using them... I don't see why I can't charge the same for a better app with more features (and then I'll give one out for free that has the same features as the other two).

Thanks bro. I think it's especially helpful if people are new to buying cars. The tax structure can be a little intimidating. I think I may add more descriptive details on the next update so that people understand what they are looking at, such as "what is scrap value?"

I wanted to charge a "peanut" S$0.50 for the app, but for those of you who know how the app store works, you can't just put an arbitrary pricing. The pricing goes by tiers, so the lowest I can go is S$1.28.

I don't think it's going to make me rich, but I hope maybe it pays for some fuel or at least my Apple Developer account. :D My logic is if the two other apps on the App Store are charging $1.28 and I've seen dealers using them... I don't see why I can't charge the same for a better app with more features (and then I'll give one out for free that has the same features as the other two).

thanks again bro. your effort to the car loving community is indeed recognised.

Hi guys, I just want to share this app that I built. It was finally approved by the Apple for the App Store last night. I am making it FREE until the end of this year. It will be on sale for S$1.28 starting 2016.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/carculator-pro/id1035354237

There are two other similar apps on the App Store going for S$1.28 but neither have as complete a feature set as this, which is a reason why I found it compelling to build the app myself. It's difficult to be calculating depreciation especially when walking around at a dealer, so the ability to save the calculation and back-reference is very important.

You can also enter your current vehicle info into it and see your scrap and loan redemption values over time. This is very valuable if you want to know how much you still owe the bank during a trade-in.

I will probably release a "Lite" version with advertising and less features in 2016, so do grab this Pro version while you can because I will likely drop the loan redemption and save functionalities in the Lite version.

Let me know if you have any suggestions/feedbacks. Cheers!

P.S. Sorry bros, no Android version yet.

Hi Bro, great job! Somehow, I couldn't find the app through my iPad App Store though

Hi, thanks for the effort in making the app.to make it convenient to calculate depreciation for car buyers in Singapore.

I have downloaded the app and below are some feedback after using it:

1) Current saved entries cannot be edited. I have to create a new one in case i need to update any info.

It will be good if the saved entries can be edited and re-calculated in case of errors when typing or there are some updates ( eg newly negotiated price)

2) Will it be possible to allow snapping a photo of the car to put in the entry?

This will help a lot in shortlisting purchases for 2nd hand cars

3) it will be good if there is a direct entry for CEVs rebate/penalty so that the PARF can be auto-calculated 

4) When both COE registration date and Purchase date options are open, it is very difficult to navigate to other entries and may accidentally change the input date. Propose to auto close one of them when the other option is selected to make input and navigation easier

5) For Loan amount, maybe it will good to have an additional entry for Finance Institution?

Overall, the interface of the app is simple to use 

Maybe an idea for your next app will be to estimate the monthly/yearly running costs for a car  :)

(edited)

Hi Bro, great job! Somehow, I couldn't find the app through my iPad App Store though

Hi bro, it's only iPhone as of now. Apple changed something in the latest version of Xcode (the tool used to build Apple apps) and I couldn't figure out how to get the iPad to work properly... so... until I fix that, download the iPhone version. It should work, albeit in an enlarged/magnified mode.

Hi, thanks for the effort in making the app.to make it convenient to calculate depreciation for car buyers in Singapore.

I have downloaded the app and below are some feedback after using it:

1) Current saved entries cannot be edited. I have to create a new one in case i need to update any info.

It will be good if the saved entries can be edited and re-calculated in case of errors when typing or there are some updates ( eg newly negotiated price)

2) Will it be possible to allow snapping a photo of the car to put in the entry?

This will help a lot in shortlisting purchases for 2nd hand cars

3) it will be good if there is a direct entry for CEVs rebate/penalty so that the PARF can be auto-calculated 

4) When both COE registration date and Purchase date options are open, it is very difficult to navigate to other entries and may accidentally change the input date. Propose to auto close one of them when the other option is selected to make input and navigation easier

5) For Loan amount, maybe it will good to have an additional entry for Finance Institution?

Overall, the interface of the app is simple to use 

Maybe an idea for your next app will be to estimate the monthly/yearly running costs for a car  :)

1. Saved entries editing. Yes, I have noted this one and will work on it in an update.

2. Hmm... interesting. Let me think about how to deal with this.

3. I also thought about this and it it gets really complicated, i.e. if you want to use ARF, it's just one field. But once you give OMV + CEV, it becomes very messy. When CEV has rebate, you deduct from OMV. When there's penalty, OMV is not affected, etc. etc. so it is best that I stick to ARF. Actually we should always use ARF... you realize that there's no CEV field for used cars in sgcm.

4. Noted this as well. I will fix this by changing the way the date picker shows.

5. Hmm.... OK

6. For TCO (total cost of ownership), I actually built one web-based version a long time ago before I made an iPhone app... it's here: http://www.tzlee.com/car/  I think it's too messy / complicated for an app.

Edited by Detach8

Wow.. thanks for the great effort!!

I have 1 feedback though.

I input my vehicle details and reg date as 2008 but at the depreciation column, the years remaining is still stated at 10.0years. It should be stated as 3 right?

Wow.. thanks for the great effort!!

I have 1 feedback though.

I input my vehicle details and reg date as 2008 but at the depreciation column, the years remaining is still stated at 10.0years. It should be stated as 3 right?

Hmm is something wrong? Can't be... can you screenshot?

What's the reg date you input?

Hmm is something wrong? Can't be... can you screenshot?

What's the reg date you input?

I can screenshot but I'm a noob when it comes to upload pics and stuffs

Registration/COE Date: 20 Nov 2008

Purchase Date: 20 Nov 2008 too since I bought it first hand.

Depreciation Column

Depreciation $5500/year

Years Remaining 10.0years

↡ Advertisement