Consequences of installing different tyres compunds on a car

RCoupe

Hi,

anyone knows or experience having installed with different tyre/tires compound on the car even though tires of the same brand?

Recently I went back to the same tyre shop that I have patronized for last 3 years but this round, I got bad experience as the tyre were installed with different compound. (Initially all MO and rear tyres need to replaced. It was replaced with 1 N2 and 1 AM8 by KH tyre shop!! at ubi)

less than 2weeks, I realised the drive was different esp. on corner and wet floor (these few days raining). I started making inquiry and read a lot online and I understand that its important not to have mix component. I went back to the tyre shop and damn unscrupulous owner gave lots of excuse.

**shall elaborate the excuses given by the scheming tyre shop owner** sucks, bulls**t excuses

I was told if any accident with root cause related to the tyre will have the insurance void as the tyres were not meant to be mixed! apart from this important factor.

All bro, can tell me what to do?? any advice and action that I can take?

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

Hi,

anyone knows or experience having installed with different tyre/tires compound on the car even though tires of the same brand?

Recently I went back to the same tyre shop that I have patronized for last 3 years but this round, I got bad experience as the tyre were installed with different compound. (Initially all MO and rear tyres need to replaced. It was replaced with 1 N2 and 1 AM8 by KH tyre shop!! at ubi)

less than 2weeks, I realised the drive was different esp. on corner and wet floor (these few days raining). I started making inquiry and read a lot online and I understand that its important not to have mix component. I went back to the tyre shop and damn unscrupulous owner gave lots of excuse.

**shall elaborate the excuses given by the scheming tyre shop owner** sucks, bulls**t excuses

I was told if any accident with root cause related to the tyre will have the insurance void as the tyres were not meant to be mixed! apart from this important factor.

All bro, can tell me what to do?? any advice and action that I can take?

Bro, stop using abbreviations for everything and type things out properly.... otherwise very few folks can read your mind...

• Praise 1

different type of tire on same axle is a strict no-no. I think it's due to different grip levels and perhaps due to different wear rates

best if all 4 tires are same type.

if your car is 4wd/awd/Quattro etc, all four must be the same.

(edited)

Bro, stop using abbreviations for everything and type things out properly.... otherwise very few folks can read your mind...

Hi,

Sorry for the confusing, recently I change out my rear tyres, and I found out with the same brand Pzero same size, but 1 side got rim protector and the other without. Something is not right. After I did an online search and found out the tyre shop installed a N2 = Porsche fitment & AM8 = Aston Martin fitment. Try to discuss with the shop owner and their responded that nothing is wrong with the tyre, if nothing is wrong, how can one with rim protector and one without. No doubt the rim, width & height is the same, but there is another marking on the tyre to state compatibility.   

Car Maker Specific Tyre Markings

E.g. MICHELIN Primacy HP MO      MO is a Mercedes specific marking

E.g. MICHELIN Pilot Sport PS2 N3  N is a Porsche specific marking

E.g. MICHELINTM ENERGY Saver *        * (star) is a BMW specific marking

Some (mainly high performance) Michelin tyres have specific markings which show that the tyre has been developed to provide optimum performance on models from certain vehicle manufacturers.

Michelin tyres with these specific markings are made differently from the equivalent standard tyres. These tyres are not better or worse than the equivalent standard tyre, but they differ in the way they behave on the car. These markings can be found on the sidewall of the tyre, and also on new tyre labels.

Specific Markings Car Makers / Vehicles K1, K2 Specific marking for FERRARI vehicles C1 Specific marking for the CHRYSLER Viper

N0, N1, N2, N… Specific marking for PORSCHE vehicles (+Volkswagen Touareg) * (BMW M) Specific marking for BMW M vehicles (M3, Z4M, M5, M6…) MO1 Specific marking for Mercedes-AMG vehicles

RO1 Specific marking for AUDI QUATTRO GmbH vehicles (RS6, RS4, TT 19"…) * Specific marking for BMW and MINI vehicles MO Specific marking for MERCEDES vehicles AO Specific marking for AUDI vehicles VO Specific marking for VOLKSWAGEN vehicles (Touareg) G1 Specific marking for various car manufacturers (Renault, Mercedes…) A Specific marking for TOYOTA (Auris)     Other Sidewall Markings Technical information related to the tyre category XL or Extra Load Tyres designed for loads and inflation pressures higher than the standard version. ZP "Zero Pressure" Michelin self supporting run flat tyres     Michelin's recommendations   When you decide to change your tyres, Michelin recommends complying with the vehicle manufacturer's specifications. For example, if your original tyres are marked XL or Extra Load, specify this when replacing your tyres.

Michelin do not recommend mixing tyres with different specific markings on an axle.

Original Equipment markings currently have no legal meaning, they ‘only’ qualify as manufacturer recommendations. There is no statutory requirement to abide by this recommendation. This being the case, the customer is free to decide if he wants to equip his Mercedes-Benz with MO marked tyres or not. However, if a vehicle is involved in an accident and the tyres are deemed to be a contributory factor it is possible that this may invalidate the vehicle insurance.

Please advice...

Edited by RCoupe
  • Praise 2

Hi,

Sorry for the confusing,

Check your Tires air pressure,make sure both rear tires are the same pressure.Anyway,i think N2 & AM8 are just batch number.

Edited by ER-3682

Check your Tires air pressure,make sure both rear tires are the same pressure.Anyway,i think N2 & AM8 are just batch number.

Picture of my tyre, currently both front is on MO, and rear is on AM8 & N2. A check on the web stated that not to mix the rating.

post-78940-0-34084100-1453292963_thumb.jpg

post-78940-0-33750100-1453292975_thumb.jpg

post-78940-0-34006600-1453292985_thumb.jpg

Lucky man, I thought I am only one here catch no ball.

Phew. ....

Seriously, change tyre no need know what's been changed? Just let workshop do whatever they want to.:a-confused:

Does it affect? Hmm must go look at my tyres tomorrow to look for these mysterious marks...

By the way, are all 4 tyres the same brand and model? 

Edited by flashbang

Does it affect? Hmm must go look at my tyres tomorrow to look for these mysterious marks...

By the way, are all 4 tyres the same brand and model?

Yes all 4 is Pzero, but there is more to it like the marking. I used to trust the tyre shop to do the job in a trust worthy condition, but when things are wrong they just said I am the one who can't accept the look of the rim protector, and they don't follow EU rules, at first I never bother about it, until I did a few hard acceleration and the became unstable and traveling thru wet road the handling worst. How can the dealer for the sake of clearing ex stock and put consumer safety at risk.

Yes all 4 is Pzero, but there is more to it like the marking. I used to trust the tyre shop to do the job in a trust worthy condition, but when things are wrong they just said I am the one who can't accept the look of the rim protector, and they don't follow EU rules, at first I never bother about it, until I did a few hard acceleration and the became unstable and traveling thru wet road the handling worst. How can the dealer for the sake of clearing ex stock and put consumer safety at risk.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-sg/contact-us