Diesel Car Mod Options?

Vratenza

With private diesel cars gaining popularity, I wonder if there are any diesel car owners that can share thwir experience in what kind of modifications that can be done to tune up their diesel ride to take full advantage over of the high torque nature of the engine?

↡ Advertisement

Never do it especially for continental cars, not even light bulbs! If use halogen, please use halogen. Don't kay kiang use LED. Later, you may see many disco lights coming up on your onboard computer.  :XD:

Only buy it when you are satisfied with the power and drive in stock condition.

Edited by Kangadrool

With private diesel cars gaining popularity, I wonder if there are any diesel car owners that can share thwir experience in what kind of modifications that can be done to tune up their diesel ride to take full advantage over of the high torque nature of the engine?

Check out RaceChip Ultimate at https://www.racechip.com/racechip-ultimate/

Your exact vehicle has to be listed, or at least, a vehicle sharing the *exact* same engine. But they do have many diesels listed.

I cannot vouch for the performance of the chip on any diesels, as I've never owned or even driven a diesel in my life. But both petrol cars I've had the racechips on (M135i and M5) have been significantly improved.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I *have* driven a diesel. A brief test drive of the Alpina D5 biturbo. :D

Edited by Turboflat4

I think more or less the modifications are the same as turbo-petrol engines. If you so call "upgrade" the size of the turbocharger that's modifying the exhaust system which LTA says it's illegal. A lot of ppl dun understand the TC is powered by exhaust gases and is bolted to the exhaust manifold making it part of the exhaust system. Other dan a heavy fine your car may be impounded indefinitely if caught.

You may add a aftermarket tuning chip and/or modify the air intake system. Personally I do not recommend tuning chip that connects to the obd plug-in becoz there's a risk which might screw up your ecu. It's not cheap to replace one. There are some which is connected to your MAP(Mass Air Pressure) sensor, layman terms it's the turbo boost sensor. Sensor is cheaper to replace.

The gains are modest needless to say but still better dan NA engines which are quite insignificant when it comes to gains. Our law here do not promote mods. Many ADs also frown on it and void your warranty. So it's good to check with them first before you spend your money. Of course it will be great if you know how to remove and install it yourself before and after you send your car for service or inspection. Or you pay someone to do it.

Of course it will be great if you know how to remove and install it yourself before and after you send your car for service or inspection. Or you pay someone to do it.

Depending on the WS, may not need to pay. I know Speeedhaus at Ubi (Racechip) will deinstall/reinstall the chip for free any number of times for servicing or warranty appointments as long as you got the chip from them.

If I'm not mistaken, this doesn't hold true for one shop that also brings in the RCU. Hint: it's a rather famous exhaust shop. This shop charges something for every take out/put back.

Warranty shouldn't be affected as long as you remember to remove the chip every single time before going anywhere near the AD. Otherwise, game over because they can just take a photo of the engine bay and deny you warranty from then on.

Some claim that even with the chip out the AD can "tell" the car's modded because they can read the boost pressure logs from the ECU. This will never happen with a normal servicing. Might happen if you're claiming for a blown engine. But even so, the AD cannot prove definitively that these boost levels were caused by a chip. So legally, I think they'll still have to honour the warranty.

Edited by Turboflat4

you can buy either a tuning box or Chip. The tuning box do nothing else then give different information to the ECU. For example real turbo pressure 0,5 Bar, the box gives to the ECU 0,4 Bar. If you remove the tuning box before you go to the car dealer they can not detect the tuning, because the ECU was always given the 0,4 Bar instead of the real pressure. Therefore you have 0,1 Bar more pressure. Of course more fuel must be injected, this is done trough the temperature sensor or rail pressure, just give different information to the ECU. 

Chip tuning is much better but can be easily detected from dealer, because the more pressure will be logged in the ECU. But is much more powerful.

↡ Advertisement