Looking for Gear lock

Peng

Neutral Newbie

I am looking for Gear lock, some call it Car Shift gear lock.

Basically padlock your gear so as to deter (not prevent) hijacks.

Autobacs and Soxxi do not have, Qoo and Taobao also never see.

You can check image in attachment or here --> http://www.solex.com.my/cars/ (under product 555si)

Any vendor or workshop to recommend?

Thank you in advance for your help.

post-3401-0-53867800-1465360278.jpg

↡ Advertisement

Twincharged

Just FYI for any type of lock that uses the typical key it's very easy to break.

As locks are usually made of brass it can be broken under 30secs or less using a drill. It's very easy. Let me show you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_nFc1PB7xU

The lock will act as a deterrence. Not meant to prevent people from breaking into the car and driving off but it will deter potential thieves. Once they see the lock, they'll rather go for another car that doesn't have the lock. 

• Praise 1

Unless yours is Honda/toyota

:D

The lock will act as a deterrence. Not meant to prevent people from breaking into the car and driving off but it will deter potential thieves. Once they see the lock, they'll rather go for another car that doesn't have the lock. 

(edited)

Just FYI for any type of lock that uses the typical key it's very easy to break.

As locks are usually made of brass it can be broken under 30secs or less using a drill. It's very easy. Let me show you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_nFc1PB7xU

I don't think it is that easy. That drill managed to drill into the padlock because the padlock was secured firmly by a vice clamp. In many situation, there is no vice clamp to leverage on. Even if there is a vice clamp for you to use, you need a good firm solid support for the vice clamp to work well. With a free moving padlock, think will be quite difficult bah. I dunno unless we have strength of superman.

Edited by Renegade777
  • Praise 1

(edited)

has any one notice  the most important sentence at the very end of website selling these  products ?

http://www.solex.com.my/cars/

All Solex Car Locks can be special ordered in Master Key or Key Alike System. One Key open all locks.

:grin:  :grin:  :grin:     :grin:

so you still want to buy any car locks that is sold in SG or Malaysia ( or even Thailand ?) 

no wonder forumn people always say JB boys have Master Key to ALL car locks and car models .... 

Edited by rickosw
  • Praise 1

Aiyoh. How many petty thieves bring a powered diamond drill bit when they want to steal cars  [laugh]

I don't think it is that easy. That drill managed to drill into the padlock because the padlock was secured firmly by a vice clamp. In many situation, there is no vice clamp to leverage on. Even if there is a vice clamp for you to use, you need a good firm solid support for the vice clamp to work well. With a free moving padlock, think will be quite difficult bah. I dunno unless we have strength of superman.

yup, I doubt its easy to hold the lock with hand and drill.... plus not to forget, its a tri-circle padlock, one of the cheapest lock in the market.... try to drill an abloy, viro or solex, the person will need much longer time to destroy the lock.

• Praise 11

has any one notice  the most important sentence at the very end of website selling these  products ?

All Solex Car Locks can be special ordered in Master Key or Key Alike System. One Key open all locks.

so you still want to buy any car locks that is sold in SG or Malaysia ( or even Thailand ?) 

no wonder forumn people always say JB boys have Master Key to ALL car locks and car models .... 

I believe this does not mean there is a master key that open all Solex lock.  It means that you can have multiple locks that can be opened by the same key.  From my understanding of how a lock works, it is not possible to have a single key that open any lock.  But there are tools to help people to open locks.  And there are lots of video on Youtube teaching people to do so.

Twincharged

You misunderstand la. It means you can order their locks so that all the locks you have use the same key. No need to carry one key for each lock. 

Neutral Newbie

Thanks @watwheels, sobering thought. Goes to show nothing will stop a determined crook.

I already got a steering wheel lock, just want to get a gear-lock to make crook look at "easier"  targets next to mine [smash]
And in worse case, I have an old phone (with GPS tracker) inside my car.

No one seen gear-lock before?

I have seen it before. About 25 years ago in my uncle's brand new first gen Proton Saga.

Never seen it on earth since.

Thanks @watwheels, sobering thought. Goes to show nothing will stop a determined crook.

I already got a steering wheel lock, just want to get a gear-lock to make crook look at "easier"  targets next to mine [smash]

(edited)

Hi Bro,

I know how u feel, I cos I also go JB / Malaysia once in a while ... there is no prefect lock in the world per se, but what u can do it is reduce the odds that the JB boys target your car.

aka, have two steering locks ( one on the steer wheel type - to prevent turning) and also add one more to the accerlator to the steering wheel,  you may call me KS , but lets be honest, there are many people do does it yet they troll others ...

there is a comment in this topic / other that advice parking in towards the carpark lot and then turning the wheel to a angle ... while parking next to a pillar - that is also quite useful information which I have personally seen people doing it as well

other common sense advice include parking in heavy human traffic areas/ next to lifts / lobby / bright lit area ...

if you ever go KSL shopping center, you will find MANY and I mean MANY SG car plates parking in super ulu / dark areas ... (to each its own)

to end off, we can never ever prevent JB boys from thinking of jacking your ride (Jap or Korean, or even Atas ANG MOR car) but least you can decrease the chances ....

if you have done all the above and still kena, then it is really down to your luck liao ...

(just ignore those keyboard trolls who burn you saying , JB cowboy land, serve you right for driving it, you deserve to be rob / car stolen),  just F them ... they are the very people cheonging in every Friday nite , weekends ... I just refuse to believe that the causeway jam is due to  PR / Malaysian rushing home ...

peace

2 cents

ps:

I have never seen before .... also some cars have no gear stick (eg MB) - so not sure if that gearbox lock is of any use ...

Edited by rickosw

Neutral Newbie

@rickosw my sentiments too haha.

Hope for the best, prepare for the worse.

I m interested to know what car u r driving.

I drove BMW and drive Mini into Malaysia also nvr even bother to use steering lock.

To me, car lost is no big deal. Kenna car jack while unlocking whatever lock is big deal.

I cherish my life more even though I luv my car deep deep