5th Generation Nissan Serena (C27)

Carbon82

(edited)

Nissan Serena minivan introduces its autonomous tech to Japan

Nissan’s new Serena minivan with a semi-autonomous technology called ProPilot takes a big step towards the automaker’s promise of bringing a self-driving vehicle to the road. This system doesn’t take over complete control, but it’s the company first stage towards making that dream into a reality.

ProPilot focuses on highway use and combines steering, acceleration, and braking control, which makes it somewhat similar to Tesla's Autopilot system. The tech can even bring the van to a complete stop if there’s an emergency ahead. ProPilot only works in a single lane for now, but Nissan plans to introduce a system with automatic passing in 2018.

To activate ProPilot, drivers simply press a button on the steering wheel, and a front-mounted camera begins scanning the road ahead. Nissan might avoid Tesla’s recent government scrutiny over its Autopilot system because the Japanese automaker forces drivers to keep their hands on the wheel. A torque sensor in the steering column knows whether someone is in control, according to Automotive News. If not, ProPilot first turns on a warning light, then a buzzer, and finally deactivates if the driver still doesn’t grab the wheel.

The new Serena goes on sale in Japan in late August, and Nissan promises a version of this tech for the Qashqai in Europe for 2017. The company eventually wants to launch it in the United States and China, too. Renault-Nissan has over 10 models with some autonomous functions on the way over the next four years.

Nissan started developing its autonomous tech a few years ago, and the company created a clear roadmap for the future. By 2020, the automaker wants to have a system that can automatically tackle urban roads and intersections.

nissan-serena.jpgnissan-serena.jpgnissan-serena.jpgnissan-serena.jpgnissan-serena.jpgnissan-serena.jpgnissan-serena.jpg

Edited by Carbon82
  • Praise 6

middle seats in rows 2 and 3 look very narrow

[sweatdrop]

There is a restriction on the width (<1.7m to be precise) of mid size boxy MPV (such as triplets, Stepwagn, Biante) in Japan, so it cannot be any more spacious (in interior width) than say Estima, Odyssey, Aplhard as such. But with interior width of ~1.5m (similar to a 2L sedan), it shall suit most MPV buyer comfortably.

I like.

I personally find the new Serena quite attractive, vs the other make. I guess you will be switching your target from Esquire to this, especially since you are familar with the drive and handling of a Nissan? [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

Looks like a loaf of bread.

U

This is very good already. Go China and you see bread running on the road everywhere. [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 7

Turbocharged

I personally find the new Serena quite attractive, vs the other make. I guess you will be switching your target from Esquire to this, especially since you are familar with the drive and handling of a Nissan? [rolleyes] [rolleyes]

You got that right.

To be honest, I am quite indifferent between the 3 Japanese brands as long as the specs suit my requirements.

If I can live with the Presage, Serena is a welcome change. What's left now is to see the car in the metal.

• Praise 1

There is a restriction on the width (<1.7m to be precise) of mid size boxy MPV (such as triplets, Stepwagn, Biante) in Japan, so it cannot be any more spacious (in interior width) than say Estima, Odyssey, Aplhard as such. But with interior width of ~1.5m (similar to a 2L sedan), it shall suit most MPV buyer comfortably.

This is very good already. Go China and you see bread running on the road everywhere. [laugh] [laugh]

yes i found this new model nicer than the outgoing model.

some more photos here...

http://response.jp/article/2016/07/14/278495.html

http://response.jp/article/2016/07/13/278384.html

http://car.kurumagt.com/2016-c27ev.html

- looks like there will be another full hybrid version called Serena EV launching along with the 2.0 gasoline variant.

those looking at the boxy minivan now have one more stronger competitor. 

• Praise 1

This thing about MPVs, I see alot of them on the roads like the Vellfires, Estimas, Alphards, does Singaporean seriosuly need such a big van to ferry their families, or is it the most-est mentality at work here (biggest, fastest, latest, etc)?

They usually look quite ugly to me, and I don't want to drive one because it makes me look like a Van driver. Unless, of course, I dont have a choice if I've to ferry many people around all the time.

Many people with a fetish of being a delivery driver? :P

This thing about MPVs, I see alot of them on the roads like the Vellfires, Estimas, Alphards, does Singaporean seriosuly need such a big van to ferry their families, or is it the most-est mentality at work here (biggest, fastest, latest, etc)?

They usually look quite ugly to me, and I don't want to drive one because it makes me look like a Van driver. Unless, of course, I dont have a choice if I've to ferry many people around all the time.

I trust that most full size and boxy MPV owners got their ride due to need, rather than the biggest, fastest, latest mentality, 'cos such MPV will never be faster or better (say in handling and comfort) than say an executive sedan (from Camry / Accord to Audi / BMW / Merc).

As for mid size / compact MPV buyer, I guess most do not want to spend too much (to get 2 car for example), thus have to settle for something that is practical for day to day use, as well as when there is a need to fetch >5 pax.

I reckon than you might not have traveled in an MPV recently. Put aside the look, it is actually very practical in almost every aspect, and the feel for most are no longer van like. For a start, go and test sit in the new Alphard / Vellfire and you will get what I mean. It almost business class kind of interior will change your mindset. [:)]

yes i found this new model nicer than the outgoing model.

some more photos here...

http://response.jp/article/2016/07/14/278495.html

http://response.jp/article/2016/07/13/278384.html

http://car.kurumagt.com/2016-c27ev.html

- looks like there will be another full hybrid version called Serena EV launching along with the 2.0 gasoline variant.

those looking at the boxy minivan now have one more stronger competitor. 

It seems to me that the trend is changing in the MPV scene. Mid-size MPV (Stream, Wish, Mazda 5, Lafesta, Extiga, etc.) are no longer in favor, and sales of mid-size boxy MPV are on the rise (in Japan). Compact MPV are limited to Sienta & Freed (in Japan) for now. Buyer are looking at more space and comfort than before from this trend.

• Praise 5

I trust that most full size and boxy MPV owners got their ride due to need, rather than the biggest, fastest, latest mentality, 'cos such MPV will never be faster or better (say in handling and comfort) than say an executive sedan (from Camry / Accord to Audi / BMW / Merc).

As for mid size / compact MPV buyer, I guess most do not want to spend too much (to get 2 car for example), thus have to settle for something that is practical for day to day use, as well as when there is a need to fetch >5 pax.

I reckon than you might not have traveled in an MPV recently. Put aside the look, it is actually very practical in almost every aspect, and the feel for most are no longer van like. For a start, go and test sit in the new Alphard / Vellfire and you will get what I mean. It almost business class kind of interior will change your mindset. [:)]

It seems to me that the trend is changing in the MPV scene. Mid-size MPV (Stream, Wish, Mazda 5, Lafesta, Extiga, etc.) are no longer in favor, and sales of mid-size boxy MPV are on the rise (in Japan). Compact MPV are limited to Sienta & Freed (in Japan) for now. Buyer are looking at more space and comfort than before from this trend.

Yeah, the Vellfire and the Alphards are certainly very nice to sit inside, very luxurious in fact.

However, I rather not be the driver though. :)

This kind of boxy MPV appeals to the people that drive cos they need to...not becos they like.

I'm almost in this grp now..and this seems like quite a practical choice.

If got tons of money, i'd buy a vellfire and employ a driver. no more parking and driving woes. Just sit inside play handphone, get off at destination and tell the driver to wait for my call.

• Praise 1

I have seen ppl who own such cars becoz they have elderly or walking-difficulty passengers. With the large sliding door it's easier for them to get in and out. I have also seen passengers whose size are bigger dan average. It's a not a choice for them.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1