2017 Hyundai i30

Thecarboy302

Another new Paris Motor Show launch from Hyundai-Kia, this time the 3rd-generation Hyundai i30. Like the Kia Rio, the 2nd-generation i30 was only sold locally for a few months before Komoco pulled the plug and brought in the Accent instead, which I think is a pity. The interior looks particularly pleasing, taking cues from their Ioniq hybrid. Hope this gets brought in to compete with VW Golf and Opel's latest Astra. 

post-104770-0-37411300-1473488735_thumb.jpg

post-104770-0-49177200-1473488745_thumb.jpg

post-104770-0-77989700-1473488752_thumb.jpg

post-104770-0-89903400-1473488762_thumb.jpg

Source: https://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2017-i30/

Launched in Korea as well, engine choices includes 140PS 1.4-litre GDI Turbo, 204PS 1.6-litre GDI Turbo and 136PS 1.6-litre diesel. 

http://www.hyundai.com/kr/showroom.do?carCd1=RD008

Edited by Thecarboy302
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Was at komoco in Thursday and there is no display of I30. Think they stopped selling again, sell either elantra n Tucson easier to make money lah.

• Praise 2

Was at komoco in Thursday and there is no display of I30. Think they stopped selling again, sell either elantra n Tucson easier to make money lah.

Probably pricing wise not competitive enough, same as their accent.
  • Praise 3

last weekend asked the SE, they gonna import i30 from Europe

not sure is 1.4T or 1.6 though

hope is 1.4T then can see how

• Praise 3

Well if they import just the normal 1.6 L then don't need to bother to sell it already lar... it either has to be a turbo 1.4 or 1.6 L as the price for this car is at a premium...

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

last weekend asked the SE, they gonna import i30 from Europe

not sure is 1.4T or 1.6 though

hope is 1.4T then can see how

If coming from Europe probably 1.4T as Europeans have practically abandoned naturally aspirated lumps

I do approve of bringing the i-series cars again though as they are truly engineered in a different way from the Americanized Sonata and the like to appeal to European tastes with GDi engines and the like. 

I feel the i40 sedan would have taken off if brought in as a consumer car instead of a taxi.

i30 has a 1.0T 120ps manual option, possible it may come here, but more likely they will offer us the 140ps 1.4T with DCT. I would suppose they could pitch the i30 as a 'premium option' over an Elantra, just as the i40 estate is supposed to be a premium option here

• Praise 3

Hope they have the manual option so I will sell my accent and get turbo i30. But wait long long lah. Even though volester manual sold also no turbo.

• Praise 1

If coming from Europe probably 1.4T as Europeans have practically abandoned naturally aspirated lumps

I do approve of bringing the i-series cars again though as they are truly engineered in a different way from the Americanized Sonata and the like to appeal to European tastes with GDi engines and the like. 

I feel the i40 sedan would have taken off if brought in as a consumer car instead of a taxi.

i30 has a 1.0T 120ps manual option, possible it may come here, but more likely they will offer us the 140ps 1.4T with DCT. I would suppose they could pitch the i30 as a 'premium option' over an Elantra, just as the i40 estate is supposed to be a premium option here

unfortunately the review (my fav is carwow) didnt think too highly of it; its decent its nice but just not as sporty a drive as we think it would be.

their pricing needs to compete with the astra 1.4T which is already hovering below $110K. that being said im looking out to see if they have less teething issues on the road. pardon me, im a sucker for warm hatches

now their elantra is about 90K ish (mid trim), only if i30 comes in around 105K or less then it may be a more compelling buy.

any info on reliability of their 7DCT?

Edited by Johnny86
  • Praise 2

unfortunately the review (my fav is carwow) didnt think too highly of it; its decent its nice but just not as sporty a drive as we think it would be.

their pricing needs to compete with the astra 1.4T which is already hovering below $110K. that being said im looking out to see if they have less teething issues on the road. pardon me, im a sucker for warm hatches

now their elantra is about 90K ish (mid trim), only if i30 comes in around 105K or less then it may be a more compelling buy.

So far not much problem for their dual clutch but some Carens drivers complain of the gearbox giving them a warning in a raffia jam like at the Causeway...

Unlikely the i30 will be below $110K... I'll be quite happy if it's $115K...

So far not much problem for their dual clutch but some Carens drivers complain of the gearbox giving them a warning in a raffia jam like at the Causeway...

Unlikely the i30 will be below $110K... I'll be quite happy if it's $115K...

read that i30 uses a newer 7DCT (not sure if same as current Carens)

hope its as good as the europe trim....

but damn... 138bhp 242nm doing 8.9s on 7DCT at 18.5km/L

slurps

Edited by Johnny86

Turbocharged

Carwow reviewing which one? i30?

Well, they do usually acknowledge that the hyundais although very sedate drive and not fun to drive they are supremely comfortable and refined for their price which is what may be more important to mass-market.

• Praise 1

read that i30 uses a newer 7DCT (not sure if same as current Carens)

hope its as good as the europe trim....

but damn... 138bhp 242nm doing 8.9s on 7DCT at 18.5km/L

slurps

Not likely to be full European trim... Likely we'll get one trim above the base level trim... the engine is very costly... so the OMV will be high... plus it's made in Europe... so everything is expensive there...

Carwow reviewing which one? i30?

Well, they do usually acknowledge that the hyundais although very sedate drive and not fun to drive they are supremely comfortable and refined for their price which is what may be more important to mass-market.

That's what I like about my Sonata... it's super refined as a cruiser... pushing it requires sports mode... still not too bad... just that you have to keep the revs sky high...

↡ Advertisement