Can suspension be improved/changed?

attitude777

I got a 2nd hand car recently. Cheap thrill and cleared off one thing on my todo list.

It has 2 years left. Thinking should get a new one after 2 years later if coe still affordable. Haha

My current drive feels rather bumpy - one factor is our roads that have many patches but i realised i am feeling almost every bump. I feel that should not be the case, isn't it?

I am thinking is this some kind of suspension problem? Can it be resolved by replacement parts?

My mech actually said that perhaps not worth it to change part by parts since its an old car ( there are other minor quirks which are non crucial and i was advised to ignore it. )

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement

I got a 2nd hand car recently. Cheap thrill and cleared off one thing on my todo list.

It has 2 years left. Thinking should get a new one after 2 years later if coe still affordable. Haha

My current drive feels rather bumpy - one factor is our roads that have many patches but i realised i am feeling almost every bump. I feel that should not be the case, isn't it?

I am thinking is this some kind of suspension problem? Can it be resolved by replacement parts?

My mech actually said that perhaps not worth it to change part by parts since its an old car ( there are other minor quirks which are non crucial and i was advised to ignore it. )

This is too subjective.

The bumpiness can be due to worn bushings, control arms or shocks. Or just lousy car design. Or you too sensitive.

But yes, our roads are patched to hell and back. Unless you drive a softly sprung car with high profile tyres, it is sure bumpy one.

don't waste money..since you only driving for 2 years.

I read absorber got lifespan, usually 5 years then need to change.

spring, also subjective..

This is too subjective.

The bumpiness can be due to worn bushings, control arms or shocks. Or just lousy car design. Or you too sensitive.

But yes, our roads are patched to hell and back. Unless you drive a softly sprung car with high profile tyres, it is sure bumpy one.

Thanks. You are right. I agree this issue is subjective, and there are too many variables to consider and eliminate.

Are there any objective tests to assess whether the bumpiness is the norm?

Okay. I think i should just ignore it. Haha. Otherwise if i cannot stand the quirks i might as well go buy new car straight away. Hehe.

Don't ever lowered your suspension in the Land of the Hump.

I have seen too many flashy, Broom Broom, Got Spoiler as long as the wing of a 777.  Died in agony at THE HUMP.

• Praise 1

Thanks. You are right. I agree this issue is subjective, and there are too many variables to consider and eliminate.

Are there any objective tests to assess whether the bumpiness is the norm?

Okay. I think i should just ignore it. Haha. Otherwise if i cannot stand the quirks i might as well go buy new car straight away. Hehe.

my previous ride was also about 8 years old when i got it.

i changed all the absorbers for the sake of comfort.

I asked the cost to change, and it came back to be about $200 per absorber.

i figured, i am gonna ride the car till scrap, $800 over 2 years, that is a lot of bone-rattle savings!

one way to test if it is worth changing... go to the back of the car. give it a good downward push. if it returns to equilibrium with more than 2-3 bounce, or when pushing downwards it feels soft, that is one good indicator to change.

repeat for the front at the bonnet. 

the other factor to consider is your tire profile. is it 45? 50? or more?

for me, i find 45 too thin. so i upgraded to 55 (the max allowed by my rims at that time).

using these two combined, you should get a more comfortable ride.

mind you, my car is a red plate. if yours is a normal plate and you drive more regularly than mine, then do the above two test to decide if your butt is worth the cost of the absorber/tire change for two years.

• Praise 1

bro in mileage terms is 100k km?

Change the shock absorbers and you change the ride and handling of the car.

You can make it more comfortable or stiffer.

The old absorbers are probably worn out

and that's why the ride is harsh. 

:D

I also going to change..

my tire is profile 45, no choice, the only available tyre size for me in SG.

I also don't want to downsize to 14', very cartoon.

I consult a workshop and was told to use the model - perdana front spring + waja rear absorber to replace my existing.

ok, going to cost me RM240 exclude labor.

Labor is another rm60.

hopefully it works.

I also going to change..

my tire is profile 45, no choice, the only available tyre size for me in SG.

I also don't want to downsize to 14', very cartoon.

I consult a workshop and was told to use the model - perdana front spring + waja rear absorber to replace my existing.

ok, going to cost me RM240 exclude labor.

Labor is another rm60.

hopefully it works.

14"? you driving a kancil or a kenari?

hmm... just curious, why need two different model of shocks on the same car?

RM 240 is cheap leh. i thinking of changing my FIL ride shocks as well.

Internal Moderator

Pressure and model of the tyres could be the factor as well.

hmm... just curious, why need two different model of shocks on the same car?

RM 240 is cheap leh. i thinking of changing my FIL ride shocks as well.

yeah, I also new to this.

Savvy and saga blm using the same setup, famous for rear weakness.

as you know, Malaysian are very creative.

they actually mentioned that perdana front spring will works, if you want better, change the rear absorber to waja.

since I got 9 more years to go, just do it. save the headache..

Change the shock absorbers and you change the ride and handling of the car.

You can make it more comfortable or stiffer.

The old absorbers are probably worn out

and that's why the ride is harsh. 

:D

I am really new to all these. haha. Yah. I feel it is harsh - but it is also subjective. More or less I experienced similar harshness when I was a passenger in taxis. But somehow, when you become the driver, you become more conscious of such harshness. 

is absorber part of suspension? How many components are there?

How much does it cost to change? :)

Pressure and model of the tyres could be the factor as well.

Oh..

[shocked]

↡ Advertisement