2017 IIHS Top Safety Pick criteria modified

Nostalgia

(edited)

• This is based on USA.

They classify Honda Accord as "small car"

Nothing mentioned about Asean small cars that achieved NCAP 4 star rating

http://www.globalncap.org/low-cost-perodua-axia-gets-four-star-asean-ncap-rating/

NCAP and IIHS are different private organizations.  I'm not sure what you're trying to draw in equivalence between the two ratings.  

The Honda Accord is categorized here as a midsized sedan.  Are you trying to say it's supposed to be a large sedan?  I know we pay a lot for cars in Singapore but more money doesn't make the car magically jump a grade in size  [laugh]

Again the point is that headlight performance and auto braking systems have become important criteria in determining how safe a car is.  As long as ADs in Singapore continue to sell the highest priced cars in the world with profit margins that equal the entire selling price of the car in a different country, while removing these active and passive safety features, it doesn't matter what the 'Asean NCAP' rating is - the cars are simply not equivalent in safety or performance.  The few AD models I've seen that come close to these specs don't seem appreciated in this market.

Note what IIHS says about the US Accord.  There's no chance the local version with the safety features stripped out will get the same safety rating.  At most, the chassis will have the same crash test rating.  That's even assuming our local Thailand made version is made to the same design and specs as the US model.  I guess there is a place for local safety ratings after all, even if they don't take safety systems into account.

TSP+  2017 Honda Accord 4-door sedan  with optional front crash prevention and specific headlights

Let the IIHS tell you what these ratings mean:

To qualify for 2017 TOP SAFETY PICK, a vehicle must earn good ratings in five crashworthiness tests — small overlap front, moderate overlap front, side, roof strength and head restraints — as well as an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention.

To qualify for 2017 TOP SAFETY PICK+, a vehicle must earn good ratings in the five crashworthiness tests, an advanced or superior rating for front crash prevention and an acceptable or good headlight rating.

Vehicles with optional front crash prevention qualify for either award only when equipped with the technology.

Models that earn TOP SAFETY PICK+ or TOP SAFETY PICK are the best vehicle choices for safety within size categories. Size and weight influence occupant protection in serious crashes. Larger, heavier vehicles generally afford more protection than smaller, lighter ones. Thus, a small car that's a TOP SAFETY PICK+ or TOP SAFETY PICK doesn't necessarily afford more protection than a bigger car that doesn't earn the award.

Edited by Nostalgia
  • Praise 1

No need to see what ratings lah... Most b&b and some higher end cars come to sg are having the low spec without many safely feature or having it removed.

I actually think it's a problem that the ADs are so dismissive of modern safety systems and their impact on OUR safety.   Perhaps this is the place to start a list of AD/PI cars that actually come equipped with some safety systems which differentiate them from the 1990s spec cars that we're otherwise forced to buy.  

Hopefully, this list will help keep future car buyers informed, and reward dealers who actually spec their cars better.

I'm just going to list cars available for purchase in Singapore, within the $120-$160K price range that I have previously shortlisted. 

Leaving out auto-dimming rear mirror, bluetooth, non-adaptive cruise control, Reverse sensor, and reverse camera because these are pretty basic features.  

If you know of more cars that should be added to the list please let me know.  The car price range is arbitrary, so feel free to list cars at any price.

AD Car with active safety systems

==========================

Make, model, trim, features

BMW, 216D, Gran Tourer Luxury, 

Driver Assistance (Lane Departure Warning, City Brake Control with Pedestrian detection), Park Distance Control, Parking Assistant

Ford, Mondeo 2.0,  Titanium

Collision Mitigation System, Lane Keeping Aid

Mazda, 6, Luxury,

HUD, Adaptive headlights, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Monitor

Peugeot, 508, 1.6 EAT6 Allure Sedan/SW

Blind Spot Monitor

Renault, Kadjar, Bose Edition,

Blind Spot Monitoring, Road sign recognition with speed limit alert & lane departure warning,  Auto Park Assist, Voice control

Subaru, Legacy, 2.5i-S, 

Blind Spot Detection, lane change assist, rear cross traffic alert, high beam assist

Subaru Outback, 2.5i-S, 

Blind Spot Detection, lane change assist, rear cross traffic alert, high beam assist

PI Car with active safety systems

=========================

Toyota, Prius, Type A with Safety Sense P,

HUD, Blind Spot Monitor, Auto Park, Intelligence Clearance Sonar, Safety Sense P (Pre Collision with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Auto High Beam, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control) 

Toyota, Harrier, Mauve Edition, 

Intelligence Clearance Sonar, Safety Sense P (Pre Collision with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Auto High Beam, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

Edited by Nostalgia

Looks like driver aids are finally going mainstream. Those who don't include such aids will end up penalised via this rating system. Hopefully it will speed up the spread of such useful technologies.

Strangely SG doesn't seem to have any safety standards on cars? Eg 2 airbag cars still allowed over here.

AD Car with active safety systems

==========================

Make, model, trim, features

BMW, 216D, Gran Tourer Luxury, 

Driver Assistance (Lane Departure Warning, City Brake Control with Pedestrian detection), Park Distance Control, Parking Assistant

Ford, Mondeo 2.0,  Titanium

Collision Mitigation System, Lane Keeping Aid

Mazda, 6, Luxury,

HUD, Adaptive headlights, Lane Keep Assist, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Monitor

Peugeot, 508, 1.6 EAT6 Allure Sedan/SW

Blind Spot Monitor

Renault, Kadjar, Bose Edition,

Blind Spot Monitoring, Road sign recognition with speed limit alert & lane departure warning,  Auto Park Assist, Voice control

Subaru, Legacy, 2.5i-S, 

Subaru Outback, 2.5i-S, 

Nissan Pulsar, 1.2 DIG-T Premium

Forward collision warning with Autonomous emergency braking (AEB)

Opel Astra, 1.0 EasyTronic and 1.4 Turbo

Opel Eye (AEB and Lane Keep Assist)

Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid, 1.6 GLS

Forward Collision Warning with AEB, Adaptive Cruise Control, Blind Spot detection, Lane Keep Assist

PI Car with active safety systems

=========================

Toyota, Prius, Type A with Safety Sense P (TSS-P),

HUD, Blind Spot Monitor, Auto Park, Intelligence Clearance Sonar, Safety Sense P (Pre Collision with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Auto High Beam, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control) 

Toyota, Prius, Type S with TSS-P,

Safety Sense P (Pre Collision with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Auto High Beam, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control)

Toyota, C-HR Hybrid, 1.8 Icon

Safety Sense P (Pre Collision with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Auto High Beam, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control)

Honda Vezel, 1.5X Honda Sensing

Honda Sensing (AEB, Lane Keep Assist, Adaptive Cruise control)

Toyota, Harrier, Mauve Edition, 

Intelligence Clearance Sonar, Safety Sense P (Pre Collision with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist, Auto High Beam, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control

↡ Advertisement