Humming sound when steering wheel turns

Alphas

My Kia cerato is giving a humming sound whenever the steering wheel turns, sound like hmmmm. Changed power steering fluid but the noise persists, no leakage no CEL. The power steering is hydraulic, no problem with turning, and can hear the fluid flowing sounds too. What could be the issue?

↡ Advertisement

I had similar problem with my civic a year before it was due for scrap, humming noise when I turn the steering wheel. So manage to drive to office and during lunch break, ask my colleague to turn steering wheel (with engine idling) while I try to locate the noise source in the bonnet. The moment he turn steering wheel, I saw fluid spurting out from the mid section of the power steering hose. Quickly tape it with electrical tape and drove to workshop to get it replace. 

My old car 2 wk ago, turn steering got sound, but not humming sound, was initially soft grr grr sound, after a couple days became louder. Went workshop, steering fluid no more. Later found to be steering pump faulty...

My friend's car had this intermitent but constant wrr sound at ow speed? Asked him about it and he wasnt sure what was the problem. When to check and the engine's mounting needed to be changed!

Hi,

Had an Elantra... Just solved the infamous clocking sound! Now my steering is suffering from steering rubbing noise.. when to Kosovo and several workshops... all say must change steering motor which cost 3-4K... any one knows of any workshops that can repair??? Urgent!!!

↡ Advertisement