Car rental company ran away with my deposit

Sunset73

Dear all,

Had scrapped my car last year end.. so I rented a car from a contact I saw on gumtree.

It was a manual Toyota Vios, and was $1,100 monthly, with a deposit of $500.

When I signed the contract, i checked and noticed the company name.

Everything went well from the car collection to the driving.

Until I went overseas for reservist.

We agreed that I will return the after i drive for 3 weeks due to reservist, and collect back after CNY.

After that, the day before I was supposed to return the car, the car battery went flat. So i called the person and he arranged tow truck to tow the car to workshop change battery. After that, I left and went overseas.

When I was back before CNY, I called the person up and we agreed to collect the vehicle 1 day before CNY eve.

Hours before the collection, he showed me pictures of the car getting into accident with a Malaysia Truck. So I have no car to drive. Fine, So i waited until after CNY. So this week, Monday he say will give me a reply. Call him/SMS, no response.

So I keep calling and sms still no reply. Yesterday reply me say will give me answer by today. Up till now nothing. Call him no pick up. SMS no reply.

I think I most likely kena conned already. Money fly away.

I hope nobody else need to go through whatever I have gone through.

Please only rent from reputable car rental companies.

I have learnt a lesson in pain.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

My sympathy for your bad experience.

I think you could at least make a police report with all the messages etc and you have a phone number and company name to trace.

You may not get back your deposit and at least should try. 

• Praise 2

are you sure is kena con? CNY period maybe take them longer time to get it fixed.

Bro, I am damn sure. If not, no need to avoid replying my messages and picking up my call.

It has been one whole damn week. I am going down to their office address I got from google.

We signed all the contract outside so I don't exactly know where the office it.

The more excuses given, the more i suspect foul play. It's my fault for not going to a reputable company.

If at least I am holding on to the car now, I won't feel so worried.

My sympathy for your bad experience.

I think you could at least make a police report with all the messages etc and you have a phone number and company name to trace.

You may not get back your deposit and at least should try. 

I can try but I think the police will direct me to CASE instead.

Bro, I am damn sure. If not, no need to avoid replying my messages and picking up my call.

It has been one whole damn week. I am going down to their office address I got from google.

The more excuses given, the more i suspect foul play. It's my fault for not going to a reputable company.

Case will guide you using small claims tribunal. Hopefully from there you are able to claim back most of your money.

Bring along the contract and tax invoice.

• Praise 2

check with police if anything that you can do...

Went to the police already. They directed me to CASE instead. They can't do anything.

Case will guide you using small claims tribunal. Hopefully from there you are able to claim back most of your money.

Bring along the contract and tax invoice.

Case has a good reputation of failing in whatever they do. Can I trust them?

Are you renting from individuals or company ?

Company. Not individuals

Lucky the deposit is only $500

They won't get far.

How far can you run on $500?

:D

That's why initially they wanted a 1k deposit, I reduced until 500. Actually wanted to reduce to 300 but they won't budge.

One way ticket to Korea or Taiwan just nice. :D

It may not be a lot.. but all these are hard earned money. Even if it's $1, it still means a lot.
  • Praise 3

How worried are you anyway?

Don't need to be too stressed over 500 bucks la. You take 1-2 days leave to settle already not worth it.

Can share the photo of the crashed car? lol

• Praise 1

How worried are you anyway?

Don't need to be too stressed over 500 bucks la. You take 1-2 days leave to settle already not worth it.

Can share the photo of the crashed car? lol

Very worried lol. Like I say, $500 can be put to better use than to be eaten up. Later I post the pic.

Very worried lol. Like I say, $500 can be put to better use than to be eaten up. Later I post the pic.

Dont get over worried and stress, although $500 to some people is not a small amount. Like some people paid for a holiday trip with some travel agency, usually 4 figure sum and the company closed down suddenly also like that. Think this way maybe you might feel better. Lol.

• Praise 1

Why you worry when there is no solution and thus no problem?

Taught to us by master @jamesc

• Praise 2

Think about it, what will you get out of it even if you will to go to case ? I think likely to be a no win situation since you are dealing with a individual. There is no need to waste your time further. My suggestion is accept the outcome and move on.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1