Police to push for forfeiture of cars used in illegal races

Sdf4786k

Police to push for forfeiture of cars used in illegal races

For those that do naughty stuff. 

The definition of race is important. Must have start and finish point. 

Else cannot be classified as race

A Lamborghini Murcielago SV and a Nissan GT-R were involved in a race in Seletar Link in 2015.

The cars - with the Lamborghini costing around $1.6 million and the Nissan GT-R $600,000 when new - will soon be auctioned off, and the money will go to state coffers.

While forfeiture of vehicles used in illegal races is mandatory under the law, actual confiscation is rare because there is a strict definition of racing. For instance, there has to be a defined start and end point.

Hence, there were only five cases of illegal racing from 2014 to September this year. Others were classified under "dangerous driving", of which there were 232 cases in the same period.

Right now, illegal racing cases pertaining to four other vehicles - two BMWs and two Volkswagens - are pending, the police told The Straits Times yesterday during a visit to their vehicle pound off Airport Road.

The BMWs were found racing along Lim Chu Kang Road in July this year, clocking up to 177kmh, while the VWs were caught doing so along the same road last December.

"We will press for forfeitures," said Commander of Traffic Police Sam Tee. "Let this be a warning to errant motorists who wilfully disregard the safety of other road users.

"There must be a sense of law and order on the road."

Mr Tee said culprits are usually caught during regular enforcement operations. "We are also supported by the community. Many people have provided us with information and video footage."

Besides vehicle forfeiture, those found guilty of illegal racing face a fine of up to $2,000 and six months behind bars. For dangerous driving, the penalty is a fine of up to $3,000 and jail of up to 12 months.

Both groups of offenders also face suspension of their driving licences.

The law does not provide for forfeiture for cases of dangerous driving, but the vehicles are often seized and kept in the Traffic Police pound during the course of investigation and prosecution. This can last two years or more.

The Traffic Police said there are more than 800 vehicles at its pound, including buses, heavy trucks, several taxis, motorcycles and even bicycles.

↡ Advertisement

Yeah too many hot bloods out there.

Cars getting faster by the year. 0-100 in sub 5 secs becoming the norm. Crazy velocities can be easily reached with bigger heavier cars on more crowded roads with more pedestrains looking at mobile, buggers on mobility devices, kids running around and overall kayu drivers everywhere.

Play video game or go track pls.

the fact that two VW was caught is like scrapping the bottom of the barrel to meet KPI .. [:|]

[sleeping]    :o  

how fast can a VW go, let alone the failing gearbox?

u not scare GB kapow meh?

Edited by Sdf4786k
  • Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

Yeah too many hot bloods out there.

Cars getting faster by the year. 0-100 in sub 5 secs becoming the norm. Crazy velocities can be easily reached with bigger heavier cars on more crowded roads with more pedestrains looking at mobile, buggers on mobility devices, kids running around and overall kayu drivers everywhere.

Play video game or go track pls.

Not only cars, nowadays lorries, mini bus van, truck all have powerful engine hor.

Some just zhua accelerator like no tomorrow.

• Praise 1

Not only cars, nowadays lorries, mini bus van, truck all have powerful engine hor.

Some just zhua accelerator like no tomorrow.

yeah.. the speed and size is awesome....

It the park where the driver sort of live the life of Fast and furious thats not so awesome.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Golf GTI/R not pushovers

on the other hand ..I will not be surprised if the BMWs are M badged 316......

:D

the fact that two VW was caught is like scrapping the bottom of the barrel to meet KPI .. [:|]

[sleeping]    :o  

how fast can a VW go, let alone the failing gearbox?

u not scare GB kapow meh?

• Praise 2

I m looking to race M badge 316

ð

I’ve seen M3 put 316 and Golf R put TSI. Very cute.. secret racists maybe.

Make me wanna put M badge on my Jepun chia

Edited by Chucky2007
  • Praise 3

LOL i ever saw a hatchback sti put 1.5 badge....

i mean who you trying to bluff ?

the wider body is a dead giveaway.

and the tyres....i am thinking at least 265/275.

and come on, quad exhaust for a 1.5?

I’ve seen M3 put 316 and Golf R put TSI. Very cute.. secret racists maybe.

I have spotted one 1.4 with GTi bumpers, grill , almost full blown conversion, except for the brakes and the seat.

even the exos also modded.

Golf GTI/R not pushovers

on the other hand ..I will not be surprised if the BMWs are M badged 316......

:D

GTi / R are more fun. AM sure they are no pushover.

Just that the profile of most owners and typical speed they drive is just average as compare to maybe a skyline or lambo.

I dont really imagine seeing LTA cramp down on GTI or stalking golf R just to see if they race.

Iâve seen M3 put 316 and Golf R put TSI. Very cute.. secret racists maybe.

I recently saw a full black on black M4 totally debadged.

You got the modus operandi of the TP wrong. 

They don't stalk (follow) cars just for catching racing offence. They usually just stake out at popular "racestrips" in the bushes with cameras and speed recorders to gather evidence. Further down the road out of sight then they will have road blocks to stop the offenders to impound their cars and to arrest the drivers. 

Imho, just because the person buys (not daddy's money) a super car does not mean he is more likely to race. He might drive faster maybe more aggressive with his moves just because his machine can. But usually super cars have really nothing to prove by racing. All the specs are easily available on the net. Head to head comparison by car reviewers aplenty. 

(caveat to my above statement: ASK excluded) 

I have spotted one 1.4 with GTi bumpers, grill , almost full blown conversion, except for the brakes and the seat.

even the exos also modded.

GTi / R are more fun. AM sure they are no pushover.

Just that the profile of most owners and typical speed they drive is just average as compare to maybe a skyline or lambo.

I dont really imagine seeing LTA cramp down on GTI or stalking golf R just to see if they race.

• Praise 4

You got the modus operandi of the TP wrong. 

They don't stalk (follow) cars just for catching racing offence. They usually just stake out at popular "racestrips" in the bushes with cameras and speed recorders to gather evidence. Further down the road out of sight then they will have road blocks to stop the offenders to impound their cars and to arrest the drivers. 

Imho, just because the person buys (not daddy's money) a super car does not mean he is more likely to race. He might drive faster maybe more aggressive with his moves just because his machine can. But usually super cars have really nothing to prove by racing. All the specs are easily available on the net. Head to head comparison by car reviewers aplenty. 

(caveat to my above statement: ASK excluded) 

Sometimes, it's those "normal" cars that are poking these sports car drivers on the road to race; trying to boost their ego that they can match or outrun a car that costs many times more than theirs.   

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1