Buying car from used car dealer, how much discount?

Defcon

just wondering usually from the list price on sgcarmart, how much discount will the dealer give usually? eg $32k for civic FD 2litre, how much discount can i squeeze expect out of it?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

It really depends..

If the dealer is very keen to sell you a car with hidden problems ( may or may not exhibit during your viewing and test drive.), then they may offer you a very attractive price.

But if it’s normal situation, my past experience with dealers would be either discount of $800-$1k or they would throw in one or two free servicing.

• Praise 1

Rare Cars with good History,very little discount,those Problematic Cars like old VW,you can bargain near Paper value.

Rare Cars with good History,very little discount,those Problematic Cars like old VW,you can bargain near Paper value.

“Problematic cars like old VW”

These ppl dun want to do their own calculations, come here to expect being spoonfed. Look at the paper value of the car. Dan minus what the dealer offer. He doesn't work on charity so you must leave some for him to profit. If you guai lan and only leave him scraps he will guai lan and play games with you. Needless to say you are at his mercy. What do you expect?

These ppl dun want to do their own calculations, come here to expect being spoonfed. Look at the paper value of the car. Dan minus what the dealer offer. He doesn't work on charity so you must leave some for him to profit. If you guai lan and only leave him scraps he will guai lan and play games with you. Needless to say you are at his mercy. What do you expect?

These days, sgcarmart already spoon feed customers already , the asking price and Lta paper value is shown on the ad. Buying from used car dealers, just have to be careful.

It depends. But if conti cars usually can ask more. Can ask more than $5k this range. 

Make sure the dealer transfer ownership of the car to you hor.

Can do it on the spot. 

• Praise 1

at most 1k ba. as some have mentioned here, you have to do your homework on the paper value of the car.

can try to nego some add ons lo...

just wondering usually from the list price on sgcarmart, how much discount will the dealer give usually? eg $32k for civic FD 2litre, how much discount can i squeeze expect out of it?

I prefer new.  

Any used car of popular model in good condition, it is easy to find buyer, higher profit margin is expected for such car, so sometimes it appears more worth to buy new instead. Unpopular model and poor condition car, spare part availability problem and is prone to repair, so higher maintenance cost and many hassles.

As usual you will get what you pay for, as most dealers know the pricing well. 

a rough guide would be bet 2 to 5% of asking price as most have a 10% profit margin to play with 

many factors involved, duration in market, no of owners, mileage, added features, taking loans or not etc, also depends on what price they took in the car 

agree especially for 1-3 year old used cars with even higher depreciation per year than brand new ones (based on nett price not their list price)

you see that for many popular models ,

I prefer new.  

Any used car of popular model in good condition, it is easy to find buyer, higher profit margin is expected for such car, so sometimes it appears more worth to buy new instead. Unpopular model and poor condition car, spare part availability problem and is prone to repair, so higher maintenance cost and many hassles.

As usual you will get what you pay for, as most dealers know the pricing well. 

• Praise 8

PSA: Found an ex BBDc car from the time I learnt driving back in 2011. they had new Jazzes with SJX plate then, which corresponds to july 2010 reg. Can see from the pic that the mileage on this one is 257k (at least never tweak [thumbsup] ) . Probably can ask for huge discount if one dares to buy hahahaha

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=720830&DL=1015

Telltale signs are the lack of radio, solar film and rims (bare bones, which was the style they ordered it in at BBDC last time)

There are a few more on sgcm, but done up a little with secondhand rims from the prev gen jazz and probable mileage tweaks, and old radio headunits, notice that these three examples have the exact same second hand old style radio

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=737030&DL=1351

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=735937&DL=1351

http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=753956&DL=2239

And of these 4 egs, 2 are registered on 7 july and the other 2 are registered on 26 july, indicating batch cars, can't be so zhun private owners buy same colour manaual jazz on same day hahaha

In summary, if anyone is looking at these, make sure you get a good discount ! factor in wear and tear replacement :)

Edited by SiLangKia
  • Praise 5

I got my current car with $4,112 off the advertised price. Not much bargain, just stated my price and if they can match. They countered and we settled at the final price which is $4,112 off the advertised price. No admin or additional fee.

• Praise 1

if you manage to squeeze 2k discount, you should be laughing to the bank

Yes...totally agreed...tried at Republic (c&c preowned) before  [sweatdrop]

No space to negotiate at all  [lipsrsealed]

Only give service credit no discount  [knife]

Best is can't bother to push you to buy some more...no horse run  [thumbsup]

Really it is same as going market to buy a fish. If you really good in bargaining, you can definitely get more discounts, maybe 5k also you feel angry that you cannot get more. If you shy shy guai guai type, then 1k also feel very good already.

To me to be a savvy buyer, more important factor is knowing the baseline that you are comfortable with. Go to sgcarmart and check out cars of your choice of similar year of registration, and find out the cheapest and realistic car price as baseline. When you bargain with the used car dealers, use that as yardstick to know if the dealers are trying to smoke you. You can quote your baseline to them to let them know you have done your homework so please do not come and smoke you. Normally they will get it and offer more realistic price or just walk away, which you should be grateful. Most time, the dealer will know that you are serious buyer and willing to negotiate for a deal. And if you have a car to trade in, then you can ask for more discount from either or both end. Also, be upfront if you taking more loan as you will more likely get abit more discount. 

To share, I just got a used B180 at 5k off the list price from advert under sgcarmart courtesy of my wife who is very good in bargaining. Definitely did not aim to be the lowest to be typecast as low balling, but much lower than most deals listed. Still have to let the dealer earn abit lah.

• Praise 1

Yes...totally agreed...tried at Republic (c&c preowned) before  [sweatdrop]

No space to negotiate at all  [lipsrsealed]

Only give service credit no discount  [knife]

Best is can't bother to push you to buy some more...no horse run  [thumbsup]

This is a more atas used car dealer with a lot of mercs cars. Everything done swee swee with checklist to give potential customers peace of mind. Even their adverts also very high resolution pictures with cars all parked indoors (I assume from the pictures taken). Like that how to give low price? But it caters to a certain segment of buyers who like to shop in aircon and in atas setting. The direct opposite would be looking for cars in Turf club on a hot day walking along rundown carpark with older ah bengs crowding around makeshift table staring at whoever walking by. Really not suitable for atas people lah.

Another example is Vantage pre-owned in Alexandra Road who is used car arm for Sime Darby who distribute BMW cars among others. Very atas - aircon very cold, place very posh. Every sales people dress neatly and speak proper English haha.

You want better experience, be prepared to pay more. Another reality of life.

↡ Advertisement