The Hatchback battle of choice

(edited)

So for the last 2 weeks in a battle to select one HB for missus Citroen C4 SX. Decided to go for a new one new as it made more sense as the depreciation is no different from used one. Below are my personal FR where most are conti based made choices with budget below 120k:

1.Opel

a. Astra K: Good looking and with most features under 100k but alas, no more selling. Would have want to choose this.

b. Crossland: Too cartoon like. Next........

2.Audi

a. A3: Looks handsome but most pricey at 120k. Though FL but profile does look a bit dated.

3. VW

a. Golf: The entry golf is just below 100k but features are rather pathetic. Halogen lights and no keyless start.

4.Nissan

a. Note: Made in Jap but whole car looks budget and from the 80s.

4. Hyudai

a. i30: Looks good with fresh design inside out. But lacked the conti feels although its czech made.

5. Honda

a. Fit/jazz: Looks and feels much better then Note and both cars rear legroom is generous. Its  an understatement to say its big.

6. Mini

a. One: Impressive build quality and cutest of them all with a BMW 3 cylinder 1.5L unit. Drive is good and the handling is impressive that points to everywhere you wanna to. Ride a bit jittery probably because of short wheelbase

7. Seat

a. Leon/ibiza/ Ateza: None with build quality that impressed me. 

8. Skoda:

a. Rapid: As above of Seat.

9. Used (fairly new) wowo V40

a. could not stand the ah pek style steering wheel. Next......

10. Infinity 

Q30. almost want to go showroon but was a diesel unit and she travels too little for it. Next....

11. Pugeot

a. 308/2008: rear legroom small and uncomfy. No discount or promotion.

What would be your choice and we have decided it, more like i decided for her.  

Edited by Hamburger
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 6

Turbocharged

Thanks for the extensive list of comparison.

I was also deciding on a hatchback some six months ago, although I didn’t make such a long shortlist:

It boiled down to the VW Golf 1.4 EQP version and the Puegeot 308.

The VW Golf felt nicer and more solid, but its Achilles heel is the 7 speed DSG, which I had witnessed its breakdowns in previous other VW cars in the family.

The Peugeot 308 has an traditional six speed gearbox made in collaboration with Aisin, hence my confidence.

Finally decided on the 308, as I thought no point having the sword of Damocles hanging over my head on the DSG issue.

Agreed that the rear legroom of the 308 is less than satisfactory, but I usually drive alone so it’s not too much of an issue for me.

• Praise 3

Since you are looking for hatch back,

Up the budget by 5k, get the BMW 116d , sure fun drive and well build.

The FC, torque, 5 years full service/warranty. Peace of mind.

The handling is really good comparing to its class & budget, and it is even beating some of the 1.8/2L class of car.

• Praise 1

The handling is really good comparing to its class & budget, and it is even beating some of the 1.8/2L class of car.

it does cross the barrier of 120k and a diesel that does not justify her mileage use. 

She actually likes it like the A class. which both crossed the 120k mark. haiz.... :sick:

Sorry to side-track.

How is the BMW 118i drive and fuel efficiency?

Hypersonic

So for the last 2 weeks in a battle to select one HB for missus Citroen C4 SX. Decided to go for a new one new as it made more sense as the depreciation is no different from used one. Below are my personal FR where most are conti based made choices with budget below 120k:

1.Opel

a. Astra K: Good looking and with most features under 100k but alas, no more selling. Would have want to choose this.

2.Audi

a. A3: Looks handsome but most pricey at 120k. Though FL but profile does look a bit dated.

3. VW

a. Golf: The entry golf is just below 100k but features are rather pathetic. Halogen lights and no keyless start.

4.Nissan

4. Hyudai

a. i30: Looks good with fresh design inside out. But lacked the conti feels although its czech made.

5. Honda

a. Fit/jazz: Looks and feels much better then Note and both cars rear legroom is generous. Its  an understatement to say its big.

6. Mini

a. One: Impressive build quality and cutest of them all with a BMW 3 cylinder 1.5L unit. Drive is good and the handling is impressive that points to everywhere you wanna to. Ride a bit jittery probably because of short wheelbase

7. Seat

8. Skoda:

10. Infinity 

Q30. almost want to go showroon but was a diesel unit and she travels too little for it. Next....

11. Pugeot

from your list, Honda Jazz.

• Praise 2

Sorry to side-track.

How is the BMW 118i drive and fuel efficiency?

this is exactly the engine used in the Mini One. A 1.5L (136hp & 220 Nm) unit coupled to a 7DCT.

Hypersonic

it does cross the barrier of 120k and a diesel that does not justify her mileage use.

She actually likes it like the A class. which both crossed the 120k mark. haiz.... :sick:

U can top up a bit n get the GLA180 ..

Heard their OT not bad for this model..

• Praise 1

U can top up a bit n get the GLA180 ..

Heard their OT not bad for this model..

OT as in real discount or simply pushing up the trade in car value to borrow more money?

Would want to borrow the minimum amount as they do not welcome cash buy.

Notice bro blueray and Macrosszero mentioned the honda as the option and i do agreed to a certain extent.

The i30 is actually making a very strong statement for itself and if not for my pro conti mindset, i believe i30 will be my choice if made between this 2.

Supercharged
(edited)

Ford Focus?

Mazda 3?

Citroen C4 Cactus?

Edited by Eyke

Hypersonic

OT as in real discount or simply pushing up the trade in car value to borrow more money?

Would want to borrow the minimum amount as they do not welcome cash buy.

Notice bro blueray and Macrosszero mentioned the honda as the option and i do agreed to a certain extent.

The i30 is actually making a very strong statement for itself and if not for my pro conti mindset, i believe i30 will be my choice if made between this 2.

Depends on the AD on the T&C..

As they can’t discount much from the list price, so OT is the next option..

U should be able to calculate the final nett nett price after factoring all the freebies n Svc credits..

• Praise 1

Ford Focus?

Mazda 3?

Citroen C4 Cactus?

Ford Focus- design dont ring a bell even though the showroom is just next to pug where i went.

Mazda 3- for unknown reason dont like a mazda.

Citroen C4 Cactus- too funky  [smash] 

Twincharged
(edited)

1.Opel

2.Audi

3. VW

4.Nissan

4. Hyudai

5. Honda

a. Fit/jazz: Looks and feels much better then Note and both cars rear legroom is generous. Its an understatement to say its big.

6. Mini

7. Seat

8. Skoda:

10. Infinity

11. Pugeot

Only number 6, seems to have gotten any praises from you. I tested the Mini one 5dr too. Only thing that held me back then, was the price at 125k, rear seats were too narrow. And also the worry about the bmw build quality. It did drive quite well but the suspension seemed a little jittery like you mentioned. There seemed to be a decent amount of poke and would make for a decent city car. The availability of indenting a manual with no extra cost also appealed.

Of your list above, I will take the jazz. The note is close to 8-9k cheaper but the interior and over all feel is damn shitty for a Japanese assembled car! Feels even worse than a thai. Unless you really want to save $$ and have the cheapest depreciation for a Japanese car, this one has to be out.

Anyway I doubt that this 8-9k is a big deal for you. You would not be able to live with one even it is a even cheaper.

If it is down to i30 and jazz, then you have to ask yourself if you would be driving it much? Which of the 2 is closer to your own car? Some times to get some variety in life, you should get something different to your own car so that you can swop around and have a change.

Edited by Mkl22

Only number 6, seems to have gotten any praises from you. I tested the Mini one 5dr too. Only thing that held me back then, was the price at 125k, rear seats were too narrow. And also the worry about the bmw build quality. It did drive quite well but the suspension seemed a little jittery like you mentioned. There seemed to be a decent amount of poke and would make for a decent city car. The availability of indenting a manual with no extra cost also appealed.

Of your list above, I will take the jazz. The note is close to 8-9k cheaper but the interior and over all feel is damn shitty for a Japanese assembled car! Feels even worse than a thai. Unless you really want to save $$ and have the cheapest depreciation for a Japanese car, this one has to be out.

Anyway I doubt that this 8-9k is a big deal for you. You won’t be able to live with one even it is a even cheaper.

your take on Mini is very true. It is a super mini category but 4 would sit comfortably and the MIL can jolly and deservingly sit in the middle or the boot. Roof if she can hang on to it.

price has gone down to 115 after all discount and with 5yr free servicing and 3 yr/200k warranty.

Anyway she drives alone most of the time and when we needed the space, thats where my loti car comes in.

cant swap car bro, my OC refuse to drive my loti car. Size matters to her.  [grin]

The choices.

post-25943-0-33112400-1525587867_thumb.jpg

Twincharged

your take on Mini is very true. It is a super mini category but 4 would sit comfortably and the MIL can jolly and deservingly sit in the middle or the boot. Roof if she can hang on to it.

price has gone down to 115 after all discount and with 5yr free servicing and 3 yr/200k warranty.

Anyway she drives alone most of the time and when we needed the space, thats where my loti car comes in.

cant swap car bro, my OC refuse to drive my loti car. Size matters to her. [grin]

A Merc A200 was going for 120k then had I had a car to trade in. But alas the deal didn’t work out. So if a Merc A200 could be 120k then 125k for the One made it a tad too ex.

Mini habitat margins are pretty high. Also not sure if you are getting a 2018 manufacture or 2017? Not that it really matters but who wants to take old stock unless there are decent discounts.

A Merc A200 was going for 120k then had I had a car to trade in. But alas the deal didn’t work out. So if a Merc A200 could be 120k then 125k for the One made it a tad too ex.

Mini habitat margins are pretty high. Also not sure if you are getting a 2018 manufacture or 2017? Not that it really matters but who wants to take old stock unless there are decent discounts.

I asked around and A class all sold out. Mini awaiting for next shipment with is the LCI model with the British flag at the rear light.

Here you go. The headlight will be different too with full circle DRL.

post-25943-0-12213300-1525588703.jpeg

Suggest you bring her down to C&C to test drive the new A180.

For whatever fcuk reason that C&C has, the actual (real) price of their cars with trade-in ..... with the O/T usually ranging between $10-20K, depending on model - would look quite attractive, vs buying a Merc w/o any trade-in car.

C&C’s A180’s RRP published in sgcarmart is $135K.

You probably can drive it down to $120K, or perhaps a tad lower, if you negotiate hard.

I got nearly $35K off the RRP, with O/T, when I bought my last Merc from them ... but then again, I am a brutal negotiator (likewise with PML and PA)!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1