Feedback on road users

Coldstar

How many of you actively use this?

https://www.police.gov.sg/e-services/report/feedback-on-road-users

According to article in 2016, TP says they get 500 submissions a month. Probably more now.

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/traffic-police-keep-sending-photos-videos-errant-road-users

I just submitted a case where someone blatantly beat a red light. But I don't know what will come out of it since I don't think there is a way to check the status (short of contacting TP to follow up on the feedback I filed).

As with all things, I understand there will be two camps...and I am sure some will tell me "Aiyah maybe he has an emergency, etc etc." However, I can't buy that every time, and have chosen to be on the other side of the fence. Naturally, I expect to be accorded the same treatment as a result.

Also, many people complain about others not signaling; you can even report those if you wish. Like that I think TP one day can receive thousands of cases already. Lol. (Failure to signal attracts a $70 but no points iirc.)

Sadly, deterrence seems to be the most efficient and effective tool.

Thoughts?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Supersonic

Wonder how effective is this feedback from TP? Did TP take any action against those road users reported?

Turbocharged

Wonder how effective is this feedback from TP? Did TP take any action against those road users reported?

nobody knows  [laugh]

(edited)

I've used it a few times. Only for really serious and blatant cases - I will be very busy if I'm going to report every single little case of not signalling, speeding etc, and I have better things to do!

On two occasions, I did get a reply many months later, saying that enforcement action was taken against the driver. Of course, there's no way of checking what offence the person was charged with or if demerit points were given.

Edited by Bicolor

Supersonic
(edited)

I've used it a few times. Only for really serious and blatant cases - I will be very busy if I'm going to report every single little case of not signalling, speeding etc, and I have better things to do!

On two occasions, I did get a reply many months later, saying that enforcement action was taken against the driver. Of course, there's no way of checking what offence the person was charged with or if demerit points were given.

Super highly confidential which cannot reveal de, also dont know if enforcement action really taken against the driver? They said you believe lo. Lol.

Edited by 13177

True, also no idea if they really did. But for other cases they don't even bother to reply, probably nothing done, though we'll never know. And I'm not surprised if they were to take action against those. Clear-cut videos, and good revenue for them. Haha

Super highly confidential which cannot reveal de, also dont know if enforcement action really taken against the driver? They said you believe lo. Lol.

Supersonic

True, also no idea if they really did. But for other cases they don't even bother to reply, probably nothing done, though we'll never know. And I'm not surprised if they were to take action against those. Clear-cut videos, and good revenue for them. Haha

Article mentioned TP says they get 500 submissions a month, i doubt they can or do much?! Lol.

For me, I received an email a few days after I submitted my feedback, informing me that TP is looking into it and will take appropriate action thereafter. An investigation officer's name and contact number were provided as well (surprised).

The email itself, however, was sent from a do-not-reply mailbox. So I will have to call if I really want to follow up.

Or maybe I will get a follow-up email months later like you.

I believe only for serious offense they will look into it.

Those normal amber-red beat red light etc, dont think they can do anything since no "evidence" as solid proof or calculation etc.

Exactly. I don't want to waste my time filing if it comes to naught.

Maybe for the one I filed I will try calling the officer in a few weeks haha. Surprised they provided investigation officer name and his/her contact number.

Turbocharged

Those normal amber-red beat red light etc, dont think they can do anything since no "evidence" as solid proof or calculation etc.

u need to attach video/photos online or u can be the witness. 

But this is one instance where we can actually do something about it. Failure to signal is a huge bugbear for many of us. If people start learning that you can be caught easily and it will cost you $70 EACH time, driving culture and habits may change......or I may be too naïve.

Just imagine, headlines next month, TP issues record 8000 summonses for failure to signal in one month [bounce1]  [smash]

Next day sure many blinking orange lights on the road [laugh]  [laugh] [laugh]  

The point is not to literally fine everyone for not signaling. But once the deterrent is well-established, the goal is achieved. If 95% of the time people signal, I can overlook the 5%. Now I see people signal less than half the time.

I totally get the better things to do part though! Lololol.

Hahaha! That's true, but only if we can be certain that the TP will act on every single instance. As it is, most of us have doubts about whether they even care about trivial things. But even if they do, I can't imagine how busy one would be to upload videos and submit reports on every little thing like that!

But this is one instance where we can actually do something about it. Failure to signal is a huge bugbear for many of us. If people start learning that you can be caught easily and it will cost you $70 EACH time, driving culture and habits may change......or I may be too naïve.

Just imagine, headlines next month, TP issues record 8000 summonses for failure to signal in one month [bounce1]  [smash]

Next day sure many blinking orange lights on the road [laugh]  [laugh] [laugh]  

The point is not to literally fine everyone for not signaling. But once the deterrent is well-established, the goal is achieved. If 95% of the time people signal, I can overlook the 5%. Now I see people signal less than half the time.

I totally get the better things to do part though! Lololol.

Twincharged

I prefer to use this https://www.police.gov.sg/iwitness

Seems like using this one, they take action faster? Last month both times I reported both times the IO called to ask if I am ok to turn up in court. Once for someone tailgating me and another one where the person changed lanes recklessly to cut queue and almost hit a pedestrian at pedestrian crossing also. And if using iwitness, seems like no file size limit. I have uploaded 100+mb video and it went through also.

Hahaha! That's true, but only if we can be certain that the TP will act on every single instance. As it is, most of us have doubts about whether they even care about trivial things. But even if they do, I can't imagine how busy one would be to upload videos and submit reports on every little thing like that!

Use iwitness easier. The time I take to sign in with singpass, I already finish reporting using iwitness. lol

If have video, I believe they will take action. 

I prefer to use this https://www.police.gov.sg/iwitness

Seems like using this one, they take action faster? Last month both times I reported both times the IO called to ask if I am ok to turn up in court. Once for someone tailgating me and another one where the person changed lanes recklessly to cut queue and almost hit a pedestrian at pedestrian crossing also. And if using iwitness, seems like no file size limit. I have uploaded 100+mb video and it went through also.

Use iwitness easier. The time I take to sign in with singpass, I already finish reporting using iwitness. lol

I quote: "I-Witness allows you to provide information about criminal activity to the Police. The information may be used to aid ongoing investigations or uncover unreported crimes."

It's interesting that they did not refer you to feedback on road users, especially for the tailgating one. I would not necessarily classify traffic offences as criminal activity! But seems like they will deal with it all the same. Maybe next time I try this.

Twincharged

I quote: "I-Witness allows you to provide information about criminal activity to the Police. The information may be used to aid ongoing investigations or uncover unreported crimes."

It's interesting that they did not refer you to feedback on road users, especially for the tailgating one. I would not necessarily classify traffic offences as criminal activity! But seems like they will deal with it all the same. Maybe next time I try this.

Still a crime ma. That's why there is a punishment. Some traffic offence also got jail term and criminal record. Anyway, in iwitness, need to select category and one of it is traffic matters.

Supersonic

I prefer to use this https://www.police.gov.sg/iwitness

Did you turn up in court in the end?

↡ Advertisement