Car Not Moving Off In Drive Mode

AHBA

Asking on behalf of my bro.

It happened lately that his car after cold start does not move off. Usually without acceleration cars will lurch forward when we release the brake & move off at a low speed but he's doesn't & have to accelerate to get the car move off. The symptom disappears after driving a distance.

What could have gone wrong?

His ride is a Picnic, auto

↡ Advertisement

It happened lately that his car after cold start does not move off. Usually without acceleration cars will lurch forward when we release the brake & move off at a low speed but he's doesn't & have to accelerate to get the car move off. The symptom disappears after driving a distance.

sounds like gearbox kaput liao!
  • Praise 1

Check ATF first lor, if dark and got carbon smell, problem lor.

If got debris in ATF, don't change ATF liao,  if change immediate death. 

Time to sell the Teacher Driver giving up car due to high cost of living. Agent Serviced. Neg. Call 8XXX XXXX

• Praise 2

sounds like gearbox kaput liao!

OK thks

Yup gb gone home

Noted thks

Check ATF first lor, if dark and got carbon smell, problem lor.

If got debris in ATF, don't change ATF liao, if change immediate death.

Time to sell the Teacher Driver giving up car due to high cost of living. Agent Serviced. Neg. Call 8XXX XXXX

Bro selling the teacher or the car?
  • Praise 1

OK thks d

Noted thks

my colleague picnic oso gb uplorry.g....mech quote sgd3-4 k....another overhaul in jb.....rm4k. A few days later the picnic guy change to mazda6.... Edited by Eviilusion

The Picnic is probably reaching 10 years soon.

So this kind of problems is inevitable for such old cars.

6 years ago my Mazda5 also got such problem and finally I spent 4K to repair the gear box and after repair, run like new.

actually sg cars 10 yrs is not considered old compared other countries where they can keep their cars as long as they want. 

SG perception is always having mind set COE 10 yrs the car is super old. with proper maintenance the car can still function as long as it is.

• Praise 13

I would say mass airflow sensor. Either try cleaning it with electrical contact cleaner or replace it .

actually sg cars 10 yrs is not considered old compared other countries where they can keep their cars as long as they want.

SG perception is always having mind set COE 10 yrs the car is super old. with proper maintenance the car can still function as long as it is.

Reminds me of when i was discussing about my car's overheating problem. This mr smarty pants say better change car as the problem will keeps returning......i changed my radiator and went to jb for a top overhaul, total cost less than $1000. The jb shop told me that the sg shop sold me a radiator for an auto version.....kns!

The jb shop told me that the sg shop sold me a radiator for an auto version.....kns!

Are there different radiators for auto/manual cars?  Never heard of this before....

Are there different radiators for auto/manual cars? Never heard of this before....

Ya....the jb shop showed me tbe difference. Auto radiator is a bit bigger and the lower brackets for bolting is missing. Thinking of getting an oem for my manual. I checked the price in the internet. In jb it cost rm 300 and in sg it cost 280........
  • Praise 1

Agreed. To add to that some of us also stop caring about maintenance towards the tail end years of the COE.

I agreed to that. I had 300km on a Toyota & the gearbox still works well except that it consumed too much eo when coming to 10 years old  

With proper maintenance & due care, cars can perform much longer than what we may think

Reminds me of when i was discussing about my car's overheating problem. This mr smarty pants say better change car as the problem will keeps returning......i changed my radiator and went to jb for a top overhaul, total cost less than $1000. The jb shop told me that the sg shop sold me a radiator for an auto version.....kns!

actually for alot of cars,

the radiator for auto and manual is 1 hose/outlet different only.

manual dun need use,

so they just block off,

esp for cheap oem radiator they alway do that .

actually for alot of cars,

the radiator for auto and manual is 1 hose/outlet different only.

manual dun need use,

so they just block off,

esp for cheap oem radiator they alway do that .

think that extra hose is for the cooling of the auto gear oil.....from what was described. But for mine there are 2 brackets missing for the pins resulting in the radiator having a gap as the pin was supposed to make the radiator sit snugly and very close. The gap was making hot air recirculate into the fins making the coolant overheat when i am not moving. The jb mech used 2 of the copper pipe from the radiator to pull the radiator to close the gap. Lucky it works but i still feel uncomfortable about the issue but the jb mech assured me the radiator is working fine.....he said no need to waste money.

Need to take a look at my radiator closely if want to really describe the fault......

Edited by Eviilusion
↡ Advertisement