Microfiber Cloth Scratch Marks on Car Exterior Plastic Trim

sigueroa

Hey guys,

I just got my OL about 2 weeks back, and I was trying to clean off this stubborn water stain on my exterior car plastic trim, so i just used a microfiber cloth to clean it. To my surprise, a scratch appeared!! I'm not sure if it's because I wipe a little too hard or what, but now I (still) have the water stain and this scratch beside it. I have tried using toothpaste (searched online solutions), magic sponge (worked for my back window trims water spots) and vinegar and just simple water wiping, but nothing works..

Anyone has any experiences on this, or any advice on how I can remove it please? It's quite obvious.. Thank you!

post-204384-0-19941000-1535010820_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Lightsabre
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

see open lah. 

inside of car belongs to you.

outside of the car belongs to everyone else.

scratches etc will happen sooner or later.

just enjoy the ride

i like your philosophy :XD:

Twincharged

Hey guys,

I just got my OL about 2 weeks back, and I was trying to clean off this stubborn water stain on my exterior car plastic trim, so i just used a microfiber cloth to clean it. To my surprise, a scratch appeared!! I'm not sure if it's because I wipe a little too hard or what, but now I (still) have the water stain and this scratch beside it. I have tried using toothpaste (searched online solutions), magic sponge (worked for my back window trims water spots) and vinegar and just simple water wiping, but nothing works..

Anyone has any experiences on this, or any advice on how I can remove it please? It's quite obvious.. Thank you!

maybe you can paste sticker over it or the whole frame part.

but in most grooming vids I saw, the groomers always say use new MF cloth as the MF cloth with not be so good when reused as if they will trap dirt particles inside - ironic isn't it ??

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Hahaha.. First few weeks.. So a bit more OCD.. Somemore it's at an obvious area, no need light can see liao.. 

I know how it feels. Happened to my yoshimura titanium end can (exhaust) on my bike. Sent to the workshop to swap my exhaust, came out of workshop with a dent. For the first few days, weeks months, it was always an eyesore. After awhile you'll learn to live with it.  [flowerface]

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Hey guys,

Give yourself 1 month.

1 month time, your mind+eye will work together to make it disappear from your sight.. aka you won't notice it by then

wow! you got bike........ can post pix of you and bike ..ooops!.... OK lah! post that of bike is fine....i get sugar rush seeing woman bikes

Last time I always kenna by those TP women in the white scooters...... damn fiercely beautiful  [gorgeous] under the white helmet.... as long as they dont horn.... when i park on double lines...... gone are them now   

Now I kenna mark already

I know how it feels. Happened to my yoshimura titanium end can (exhaust) on my bike. Sent to the workshop to swap my exhaust, came out of workshop with a dent. For the first few days, weeks months, it was always an eyesore. After awhile you'll learn to live with it.  [flowerface]

Edited by BanCoe

Give yourself 1 month.

1 month time, your mind+eye will work together to make it disappear from your sight.. aka you won't notice it by then

Haha I hope I can be like that too!

Anyway, have anyone tried using Meguiars Ultimate Black to restore these black plastic trim areas before? My only concern is bleed of the restorer, especially when we have heavy and constant rain!

Hahaha.. First few weeks.. So a bit more OCD.. Somemore it's at an obvious area, no need light can see liao.. 

yikes looks bad. Was your microfiber cloth dirty?? Check if it's clear coat damage, if it is still got hope. Spray some water on it, if the scratch cannot be seen when wet then it's only a clear coat scratch. Not stain right?

If it's clear coat then go search on youtube for "Chrisfix clear coat repair". If it's a stubborn stain then just any scratch/swirl mark polish will do. Make sure you are comfortable with DIY otherwise just send it to a groomer, doesn't look like paint or primer damage so shouldn't be serious I hope.

Edited by mengami

Dont look at it and you would not notice it lo. Exterior of the car quite difficult to keep it in tip-top condition and no scratches or dents la. Just dont get too bother about it and enjoy the car.  :D

Look at it positively. Your car has been marked. So if one day your car is stolen and licence plate is removed, and the thief is caught, when you are asked how you know this car is yours, you can show them the mark. All cars get scratches but the odds are very low that two cars of same model will have the same type of scratch at the same place.

I pamper my white car a lot. I wash it myself most of the time. But after almost a year, when I saw a scratch, I just bought liquid paper to cover it up. It was quite a deep scratch.

Surprisingly the liquid paper still holds up even though it's been more than half a year.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 1

Hey guys,

Likely the heat from friction rubbing melted the surface coating.  You can try silicone oil (the type for leather conditioning) to wipe the panel and it may not be so obvious once the entire panel shines.

First month of new car ownership, heart pain see hairline scratch

After one year, heck care. Not deep one then no issue. Maybe before cny go send polishing

↡ Advertisement