Renault Clio 1.2 16v

Rainbowsix

Was at Ubi the other day and got some time to kill so decided to test drive the new Renault Clio 1.2 16v. Odometer before I test drive was 647 km so rather new. Motoring (Nov Issue) had a rather good write-out on this car and having test drove the earlier Clio 1.4 16v, approached the car with anticipation.

Interior had been made more simple (read: cost cutting measure as usual) but still feels rather cosy. When I pulled the handbrake, my hand brushed against the SE. No, it was not a female SE in case u folks are wondering! [sweatdrop]

Anyway, I still find the gear box rather notchy to my liking. Maybe I am too used to Japanese kind of gear box. The ride and handling is still as good as ever and I really like the reassuring thud when the door is closed. Something my current car is not that impressive.

In the review, the article stated that the engine is free revving and quoted Civic VTEC drivers will find it as good since there is no red line. The SE encouraged me to try red-lining which I have every intention to. [sly] Indeed the engine feels smooth and did not hesitate until it reached 6500 rpm whereby the rev limiter kicked in.

I had fun dragging the first two gears to red line and the SE suddenly stopped giving comments about how good the car is, etc. (Maybe that is one of the techniques one should employ to shut them up) However, after from the third gear onwards, the limitations of the small 1.2 L engine begin to make itself and it would be safe to assume that at highway speeds, overtaking must be planned well in advance.

The pros of the car is generally the size and safety features. Really carpark friendly and u feel kindda cosy up in front while the rear is for u to allocate to your not so close buddies and let them feel the disadvantages of being tall. (read: headroom really lacking lah!) It has four airbags and boy am I impressed cuz even in some 2L cars, u only get two airbags.

The major downside is the relatively high selling price of $68k. For a 1.2 L, that is rather expensive. Of course, not forgetting the usual maintenance problems which I think is not very fair for me to comment since I do not owned one now or before. I did take a peek into the engine bay and discover a huge radiator fan that I suspect was modified to suit the local climate.

disclaimer: This test drive report is based strictly on the person writing and is no way influenced by anyone else. And no commissions for me if u decide to buy the car. Just my two cents worth.

↡ Advertisement

Had heard alot of good comments for Renault Clio on other Forums.

Btw, anyone of you seen a pink (really rose pink) Kia Carnival? It's definitely not the original colour, I think. Saw this pinkish MPV on the road the other morning. Don't know how to describe the feeling, but kinda funny.

I was contemplating between the Clio 1.4 M and my current car, Mazda 323 1.6 M back when I was car-shopping. Finally decided on the Mazda cuz price of the Clio a major turnoff for me. But somehow, everytime I see one on the roads, my mind starts wondering and questions keep popping. [dizzy]

Must get my brain checked one of these days soon! [laugh]

p/s: I can't stand pink. All kinds of pink in fact. Will try to siam the Kia u mentioned.

you still 'got hope':- since most Renault cars depreciate 'faster' than Jap cars, juz wait one or two years, by then the resale value of your 323 will be higher than that of the Clio,.......... you could then do a swop and still get some change in the pocket !!......... possible??

cheers

Actually I dun sharing my plan with u on my next car. I will most probably use my 323 until the car is fully paid up for. I estimate that will give me around $30k in another six years time. [scholar]

Now if I still not married by then, I think I will spurge on a Renault 2.0 RS. Possibly a new one if I can afford the downpayment. If not, a three-year old will do just as well. With the $30k worth, I just need to carry on my monthly installments for another seven years. [thumbsup]

But if I do get married, then I can kiss my Clio 2.0 goodbye and most probably buy another 1.6 L Japanese Auto car (most probably Toyota Corolla) for family use. Again, I will trade in my 323 and just carry on my debt-ridden life. [laugh]

hey, that sounds quite interesting..... what are the performance figures like???.... looks alone makes me drool leh.......... maybe nex time retired liao need to drive small car (if still can afford too), then can get one like this [thumbsup][thumbsup] ........... slave to banks again ....... [sweatdrop]

Edited by Super7

Official figures are 0-100km/h in 7.2 secs? some magazines do it faster though..

Should be a real fun little car! [nod]

then again, the ass trek can be modded to monster like levels, so... [sly]

Nope, the RS is different from the V6 sport model. The RS has a 2.0 engine pumping out 172Hp. Looks totally different as well [pirate]

Both are mean, one just looks MEANER [sly][laugh]

Neutral Newbie

Ahhh... the RS is the one with the similar look as the normal Clio right? But the V6 is... woohooo... hot... bounce1.gifbounce1.gifbounce1.gifthumbsup.gif such a small car and such an engine... can fly... thumbsup.gif

Neutral Newbie

WAH!! 255hp for that car? phew... surprised you can even 'see' it... sweatdrop.gifsweatdrop.gif

heard there's only one brought in and is driven by the distributor or something?

in any case you are gonna be married either to your [gorgeous][inlove] or the Clio RS !!!... both are equally good things to look forward to [thumbsup][thumbsup]

Thanks bro! I also think so too! [laugh]

↡ Advertisement