VW Caddy TDI van

Vass

Neutral Newbie

guys i'm keen in getting 1.9 TDI VW, is it worth? is the spare parts expensive? do we need to purchase the van under a company? i saw 1 at sgacrmart at it till 2017 and asking 12,800 so how much down do i need to pay? please do advise accordingly guys. thanks

spare parts is one of the cheapest and lasting compared to other euromakes , as it is running on euro 2 specs, so expect alot of black smoke..but the engine mounting shldnt be as lasting as others , esp if u attack corners at great speeds. and yes , if the engine mounting is worn out , its vibration is considered extreme when compared with other eurovans. , i bet u havent came across one which whole chasis vibrate along with the engine , driving it is like riding a massage chair. , yes u need to reg a company to purchase it , just pay a 1st time reg of $50++ , every year $20 to renew, and add $199 to ur medisave every year , then there shldnt be any problem , failure to add the medisave will result in $200 or $500 fine .l

for this , max loan u can take is ard 3 yrs , so how much u down, is how much u pay monthly. anyway , its better to go for direct owners, rather than dealers as u dont know the history of the van , to play safe , try and get one which is maintained by one of those renowned workshops which do caddy , kuo li auto is one of them , u can ask the boss alvin see if he got deal with the number plate of that vw before, and ask for his recommendation.

anyway , 12800 is ex, esp when if the coe is only worth $86 ,

Do note , there are 3 variants of the engine , GU plate , GW 3 digit , and GW4 digit on wards, and of cos theres the 1.6 PETROL version.

GW 4 digits and after , has a better air con unit and the 2 timing belt , GU has 1 timing belt , ( or is it hte other way , i cant remb) and the air con u cant select on or off the compressor.

btw, if u use liqui moly products on the engine , the effects and results is superb, esp the oil addictive and the diesel purge ,

difference between company use vehicles and owner owned vehicles is that for company vehicles , nobody gives a s--t , and lut the engine gao gao , its engine condition im sure wont compare as well to a owner owned one.

Edited by Nismo22
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

hey dude you must me dam genuis about this man.. i'm keen in the diesel and a good quality. yes i prefer the GW, dude its for my personnel usage only so i want to feel the power too. what type model you recommed in VW caddy. the work shop you mention, do you have his contact? i saw some add eg: 1shift GW6688 asking for 10,800 till 2017. worth it? how am i to get direct owner deal bro? btw how much is the transfer fee, paper work, or what else there(hidden coast).

Neutral Newbie

huh , im not selling mine , lol , love it , u can call alvin ( kuo li auto) at 96943328 , u can check if he got svc that gw6688 before or not , direct owner u must check online , just a note hor , the more stock the caddy is , the easier it is , the more mods, the more headache when inspection , transfer fee is $280 ,

my caddy is a silver with black bonnet and green and black rim hub.

the turtle shell GW caddys can say is the cheapest to maintain compared to renault , peugeot , citroen , all these,

my clutch change quoted 700 nia , compare kia picanto $900 , lol , cheaper than owning a kia , what do u think.

Supersonic

I got my TDI last year. The engine compartment was a mess.

The previous owner send to workshops which fix one thing and break others.

I had to fix the radiator resting on pipes which subsequently make holes in them for the pipes to leak.

The turbo did not work, and I have not fix it yet due to cost.

This turbo works with vacuum solenoid controlled by ecu.

I also had to fix a leaking aircon evaporator coil, another $4xx.

Most important is the timing belt. Make sure the change is current. Cost of replacing is around $6xx.

So all in, you should set aside another couple of $k to fix problems as the van is probably 10 yrs old.

After 10 yrs old, inspection is 2x a year. This adds another $85 x2.

Insurance for commercial vehicle is not that cheap either, your personal vehicle NCD cannot be counted, so you start with 0%. Max is 20%.

The road tax is cheap enough around $4xx

I cleaned the MAF sensor and the engine now runs like a champ.

Lots of pulling power, even though the turbo is not working.

FC can easily hit 17km/l if you don't rev hard.

But you have to be careful bcoz of the 70km/h speed limit, otherwise lots of speeding tickets.

You can hardly drive in gear 5 at 70km/h.

Smoky exhaust wise, I've seen many worse diesels than my TDI.

The ecu has a control to minimize black smoke.

Neutral Newbie

u can contact me at 97964200 ,

mine can never hit 17km/l , the most is 14, normally is 13km/l , :( , mine on 15 inch rims and 195/55 tyres, maybe thats why ,

the easiest way to gain power is to use a open pod, but i dont recommend that , it gives alot of power but brings alot of problems , esp to the air flow sensor.. $320 to replace btw,

i used open pod for a month or so and had to replace my air hoses, all clogged with soot. in turn the turbo didnt engage,

another problem is that u have to take note , its a diesel , air must never go in the fuel line , recently my fuel filter/ pipes leak some air in and had to tow couple of times, thx to the airlock. best to take note , our fuel pump and fuel filter connection theres a transparent pipe ,

its hard to meet others who drive caddy , if u get one , be sure to contact me , we can share ideas and meetup for kopi session,

oh yeah u can change to racing injectors as well for surge of power , but fc will be ard 11-12 km/l , i just traded mine off for stock in an attempt to have better fc lol , u can look for alvin , im sure he still has it on hand.

the last time i had it i keep having my front wheels burnout at pickup , with the open pod , packs a punch , haha , somemore im at least on 300kg load. yeah , those were the days , with rising fuel cost and my timing belt coming up , i gota save up now ,

Edited by Nismo22

Supersonic

Yeah, the air bubbles in the clear pipe will be a problem.

The fuel filter need to be changed regularly, but I haven't done it yet.

I'm afraid of the air bubbles. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

yeah , insurance is ex, im paying like almost 1100 for third party fire and theft , with 10 % ncd,

the liqui moly oil addictive is a MUST TRY item , although somewhat ex, $25 for a can , the difference is like WOW ,

Neutral Newbie

Yeah, the air bubbles in the clear pipe will be a problem.

The fuel filter need to be changed regularly, but I haven't done it yet.

I'm afraid of the air bubbles. [laugh]

the fuel filter cost $60+!

Neutral Newbie

hey guy... thanks so much for the info.... nismo i would msg you my no shortly bro.,... once again thanks bro... just cant get my hands on than caddy..... i pray i dont buy the caddy with so much of pro.. if you guys come across any direct owner selling their caddy please let me know.

Supersonic

yeah , insurance is ex, im paying like almost 1100 for third party fire and theft , with 10 % ncd,

the liqui moly oil addictive is a MUST TRY item , although somewhat ex, $25 for a can , the difference is like WOW ,

I tried the liqui moly oil additive. Can't say it makes much difference.

But I used Amsoil and Redline fuel additive in the tank instead.

I think I want to use Schaeffer Supreme 5w40 instead.

If you want cheaper place to pump diesel, pm me.

Neutral Newbie

this caddy is on euro 2 specs, so industrial diesel not a problem ,

euro 4 use industrial diesel will uplorry the fuel pump very fast lol ,

Neutral Newbie

mine expire on dec 2013 haha , just waiting for coe to drop to renew , still got 2 yrs so got some hope. i wish to renew , its a damn good vehicle